Shipping your supra from an out of state dealer

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I am seriously considering the option of buying my supra from the east coast and getting it shipped to California. Even with shipping costs, I would be saving thousands of dollars.

I want to know if anyone has any thoughts on this or anything I should keep in mind before I proceed with this option. I have a friend who can go to the dealership and check out the vehicle for me and the dealership said that can help with coordinating with the delivery truck driver. The shipping estimate is around 1500 bucks but I would still be saving almost 4000 bucks if I go through this route. The dealership said they can help with even if it is out of state. And shipping includes insurance as well.

Please let me know if anyone here has any experience with this or any suggestions?
Sponsored

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
if you're buying new i'd say go for it. If you're buying used, Id find somewhere to do a pre-purchase inspection and go from there.

lol... i literally just search through 40 dealer websites in NJ/CT/NY and most of the 2020s left are black or tungsten.

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
if you're buying new i'd say go for it. If you're buying used, Id find somewhere to do a pre-purchase inspection and go from there.

lol... i literally just search through 40 dealer websites in NJ/CT/NY and most of the 2020s left are black or tungsten.
Yeah I am looking for new.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
I know a few people that shipped cars and it was fine. Being able to inspect the car beforehand and taking lots of pics is definitely helpful. I was considering the same, but all my quotes were pretty high and it was just cheaper for me to drive it back plus I'm planning a week long trip driving it though the mountains and tail of the dragon. But just read the reviews for the shipping company and you should be fine.

You Drive

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Red LE, C8 Corvette Z51 Torch Red, M3C
Had mine shipped from Minnesota to Louisiana. The dealer recommended a service they have used before
and I researched on the web. Dealer took pics before it was loaded up and I inspected when it arrived. Cost me $1800 to ship it plus I tipped the driver. My car was loaded up in an enclosed trailer with a number of other cars headed to south Florida. I had no issues but all depends on the company you chose. I paid MSRP for mine and saved plenty. At the time they were selling in my area for $20 grand over MSRP.

Jaxness

First Name
Jax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxness.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra LE #1292, 2012 Yamaha R6
I'm in Virginia and I bought my Supra in Connecticut. I was going to have them ship it, but I was going to insist on an enclosed trailer and I ultimately decided it was too much of a hassle and I was too impatient to wait a week. So I just flew up and drove it home.

My only suggestion is the enclosed trailer, and make sure its noted somewhere that the car had zero flaws when loaded and it better show up at your door the same way.

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I'm in Virginia and I bought my Supra in Connecticut. I was going to have them ship it, but I was going to insist on an enclosed trailer and I ultimately decided it was too much of a hassle and I was too impatient to wait a week. So I just flew up and drove it home.

My only suggestion is the enclosed trailer, and make sure its noted somewhere that the car had zero flaws when loaded and it better show up at your door the same way.
Yes, almost every shipping service had an option of choosing an enclosed trailer.

It's definitely an hassle but for me driving is definitely not an option. It's a 2500+ mile drive and I wouldn't want to do that on the first day on a brand new car.

Skebs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Gray Supra
Yes, almost every shipping service had an option of choosing an enclosed trailer.

It's definitely an hassle but for me driving is definitely not an option. It's a 2500+ mile drive and I wouldn't want to do that on the first day on a brand new car.
Would you be able to share any infor on this? I was also looking to do this but wasn't sure what shipping company I should look into. I also live in the Bay and I was deciding on getting the 2021, buuuuuuutttttttt the 2020 prices are too hard to pass on.

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Would you be able to share any infor on this? I was also looking to do this but wasn't sure what shipping company I should look into. I also live in the Bay and I was deciding on getting the 2021, buuuuuuutttttttt the 2020 prices are too hard to pass on.
Lol I have no info on shipping yet. I just googled auto shipping and got some quotes. I still have to find out more about which shipping company to choose.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Yeah, if you're getting a good deal and the dealership is giving you good vibes I'd do it. Lot's of guys on the GT350 forums I follow were doing this due to all the ADM BS going on. That being said the only complication I can think of is you getting it registered and the hoops you may have to jump thru. I think I've heard of a VIn check being required since it's coming from out of state. Reliable and Interstate are two shipping companies I've heard mentioned frequently.

Neosole89

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra Refraction
I considered this route as well but ended up finding a good deal for one locally. Sucks that Cali dealers are trying to gouge you with the crazy high markups. Good luck on your search!

Racevideo

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra 2017 VW Tiguan
montway.jpg

Our local dealer did not have any stock so I bought mine out of Ohio. Montway Auto Transportation which I think is just a broker delivered it. It was $1099 from eastern Ohio to the Texas Panhandle. Some of the trucks were hesitant to take the car since they did not know the exact height of the front faring. He could not pull into our driveway so I met him at a shopping center less than a mile away from my house. The car came at about 1 in the morning which was fine with me since I wanted to get it as soon as possible. When I went to register the car I was missing a critical piece of information. The dealer sent it to me overnight and I was able to register it. The salespeople at the Ohio dealership were very helpful. I fear if I would have had a less than inspired sales crew the experience would not have turned out so well.

You Drive

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Red LE, C8 Corvette Z51 Torch Red, M3C
The dealer mailed me all the paperwork I needed to register the car locally. It all went very smoothly. Most dealers have shippers they can recommend. Mine did! Cost will vary depending on enclosed vs open hauler. I had to meet the driver at a specified locations to take delivery. Shippers also carry insurance and my shipper did. I also had the car put on my own insurance policy before it was loaded up.

752537BE-E473-4BAA-AF81-BBD560CAD0F6.jpeg

B5CA8780-9943-4CC4-8531-7D6EE4F59F5C.jpeg

504272A9-2492-4115-876E-DC824CC97335.jpeg

FBD58F9A-030E-4753-9231-FB776EE59E90.jpeg

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Is there anyone here who got it shipped to California? I am hearing from a few dealers that they can not register a vehicle in California without insection? I thought that supra is certified for all 50 states. ANyone know anything about this?

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Nothing in Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada? I've bought in WA and got it under invoice. You have to pay taxes and registration at the local DMV.

The thing with shipping companies is that they all use a central dispatch system. Be prepared to get bombarded with random calls. So when you're calling around different websites, you're dealing with a middleman. They put out the destination and start a bid. Personally, I'd call Jim at Intercity directly.

Jim
Intercity Lines
1-800-221-3936 x205
[email protected]
www.intercitylines.com

https://reliablecarriers.com/

http://plycargroup.com/

https://www.gtms-quotes.com/
Sponsored