Shops refusing to do alignment

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
So, I take my car in for an alignment and I'm told "We can't recalibrate the computers, you probably want to take it to the dealership".

What in the F? Since when?

I've had nothing but trouble getting alignments on every car I've ever owned. My bad luck is unprecedented.

So I'm voting a set of Paco hub stands and saying 🖕🏼 to all the shops.

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.
Sponsored

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra - Gridlife StreetMod #29, '23 B48 Supra
There is a chance that the alignment will set off some sensors and require a steering angle sensor reset.

If that happens your car will be in limp mode until you perform a SAS reset using the factory Toyota ISTA software, which most shops do not have access to. Their standard Hunter, SnapOn, etc tools will not work to perform the reset.

Usually a basic alignment won’t trigger this but it’s possible.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
How are all the motorsports guys fixing this? @razorlab
You don't have to do anything to recalibrate if you don't do some boneheaded move like having the tie rods super out of range, or not measuring before replacing one.

Normal alignments will not require any recalibration. I've aligned my Supra a handful of times already in my garage.

OP
OP

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
You don't have to do anything to recalibrate if you don't do some boneheaded move like having the tie rods super out of range, or not measuring before replacing one.

Normal alignments will not require any recalibration. I've aligned my Supra a handful of times already in my garage.
That's what I figured. I'm ordering a set of Paco Motorsports hub stands and just going to start doing it myself.
I have literally had problems getting an alignment on any track I've ever had. I'm not exaggerating. Every, single, time.
Shops refusing because computers, shops refusing because the car is lowered, shops refusing because they don't want to give me my own specs, etc etc.
This has been going on since right around 2006 🤣

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
That's what I figured. I'm ordering a set of Paco Motorsports hub stands and just going to start doing it myself.
I have literally had problems getting an alignment on any track I've ever had. I'm not exaggerating. Every, single, time.
Shops refusing because computers, shops refusing because the car is lowered, shops refusing because they don't want to give me my own specs, etc etc.
Exactly why I finally splurged and bought a quality string system and toe plates. It's really great to know exactly what your alignment is instead of having to trust some shop did it right.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Holy shit those things are tits!

Have you had a chance to use them? How did it go?

OP
OP

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Holy shit those things are tits!

Have you had a chance to use them? How did it go?
I haven't bought them yet, but decided on them after using a friend's. It's so nice to just set the car on the ground and do everything in real time. His was the older version with lasers. It's nice to be able to actually see the measurements change as you make adjustments. No raising/lowering/rolling car back and forth. SO worth it.

404nd2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tesla MYP | 2020 Supra
I haven't bought them yet, but decided on them after using a friend's. It's so nice to just set the car on the ground and do everything in real time. His was the older version with lasers. It's nice to be able to actually see the measurements change as you make adjustments. No raising/lowering/rolling car back and forth. SO worth it.
Good to know these work well! That's a steal for a set of hub stands.