Should I wait for 2021?

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Now that Toyota has come up with 0% financing for the 2020 supra and with all the discounts going around, there are some pretty sweet deals out there. The added 90-day deferral program fro the first payment sweetens the pot. So is it worth waiting for 2021?

Current deal - $49k with 0% financing for 60 months.

Advantages of waiting
- more horsepower. A better car to drive is what I heard.
- I feel that the 2021 would hold value a lot better than the 2020's. I mean they have already depreciated by almost 15% in 9 months just sitting at dealerships.

Disadvantages
- Not sure about 2021 pricing. I read that it would start at $51k with a standard 8inch screen. I dont care about the extra speakers or HUD so I would probably go with the base model itself.
- I would not get 0% financing. I do have a good credit score but 0% on a new car is a long shot I feel.
- May have to deal with stupid markups if these stealerships get greedy again.
- Have to wait to drive the supra... :(

Is 2021 worth the wait? Thoughts?
Sponsored

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Corvette Z06, 2021 MKV Supra
I'm in the same boat, I have an allocation but hard to pass up a heavy discount for a still good car.

$49k for a base model or premium? I've seen around $50k for premium's but not under $50k yet (also that includes the $3500 not the 0%).

The depreciation is the big piece for me and why I am probably going to wait. It kind of makes me think of the S52 and S54 z3m's, where the S54 hold there value so much better because it's more power, even though it doesn't translate to a huge performance difference.

I would not recommend waiting on payments for 90 days as that will just put you further under water on a depreciating asset. 0% is nice though, tough to pass up free money. Some credit unions will do under 2% if you search around though.

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
$49k for a base model or premium? I've seen around $50k for premium's but not under $50k yet (also that includes the $3500 not the 0%).
For a premium. Well actually the guy who quoted 49k was before today so I never spoke with him about the 0% APR though. But I am assuming I can get him to get me 0% on the price he quoted previously.

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I would not recommend waiting on payments for 90 days as that will just put you further under water on a depreciating asset. 0% is nice though, tough to pass up free money. Some credit unions will do under 2% if you search around though.
Well because it's 0% I can earn interest on the 3 months payments because I am not obliged to pay anything. The least APR I found was 2.49% from DCU. Rest all are more than that or you need to live in some particular address or be referred by a family member or existing member and stuff like that.

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
The depreciation is the big piece for me and why I am probably going to wait. It kind of makes me think of the S52 and S54 z3m's, where the S54 hold there value so much better because it's more power, even though it doesn't translate to a huge performance difference.
Completely agree. After a few years, the 2020 might just become completely worthless. I don't want to end up selling this car at the price of a used Camry. And there is a very high chance that the 2020 and 2021 will enter the used market at the same time.

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Tough decision.. On the other thread people are getting premiums for about $5k off MSRP + 0% financing..

-Josh

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
When do 2021s start to land in the US?

-Josh
There is a boat coming with 400 that should be delivered to customers sometime in June. Probably a while before any others because of COVID delays and closures.

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
There is a boat coming with 400 that should be delivered to customers sometime in June. Probably a while before any others because of COVID delays and closures.
Assuming those are spoken for and aren't going to be sold at discount.

-Josh

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Those are the A91 limited editions and will obviously be sold for markups. I have no hopes to get a car from that shipment.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Now that Toyota has come up with 0% financing for the 2020 supra and with all the discounts going around, there are some pretty sweet deals out there. The added 90-day deferral program fro the first payment sweetens the pot. So is it worth waiting for 2021?

Current deal - $49k with 0% financing for 60 months.

Advantages of waiting
- more horsepower. A better car to drive is what I heard.
- I feel that the 2021 would hold value a lot better than the 2020's. I mean they have already depreciated by almost 15% in 9 months just sitting at dealerships.

Disadvantages
- Not sure about 2021 pricing. I read that it would start at $51k with a standard 8inch screen. I dont care about the extra speakers or HUD so I would probably go with the base model itself.
- I would not get 0% financing. I do have a good credit score but 0% on a new car is a long shot I feel.
- May have to deal with stupid markups if these stealerships get greedy again.
- Have to wait to drive the supra... :(

Is 2021 worth the wait? Thoughts?
If your FICO doesn't qualify for the 0% then why even bother. Buy when you're ready and if you're not, build your credit up so it is. Even though this deal is temporary for the Memorial Day weekend, Toyota will offer similar incentives towards the end of the year. Don't impulse purchase.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Those are the A91 limited editions and will obviously be sold for markups. I have no hopes to get a car from that shipment.
Nope, I have reached out to dealers and there are multiple with allocations still unspoken for and they are normal colors, not the a91 limited colors.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
At this point, if there is no crazy delays, I'd wait for 21MY. It's already end of May. You've waited this long, but of course with all dealers having many 20MY's, there is speculation on other thread that new ones may not hit the dealers in June/July. Pure speculation from my end, I've no knowledge on this... Otherwise get 21MY for sure.
All docks are full of cars with ships circling around to unload. Getting an A91 could be more screwed up than getting A90 LE's last year :)

0% financing is only if you finance thru Toyota Financial.
You can get 90-deferral by other means already. I got mine thru CU with 90-day deferral but with interest of course (last year).

Also, after all this car is BMW and they depreciate like hell, so if you guys keep on selling the car in 2-3 years a priority, then lease it or don't cry when it depreciates 40% in the next 2 years....

Also, HUD is awesome. Sure it could have contained more info, but still great to see how much you're over-speeding split second after WOT :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
If your FICO doesn't qualify for the 0% then why even bother. Buy when you're ready and if you're not, build your credit up so it is. Even though this deal is temporary for the Memorial Day weekend, Toyota will offer similar incentives towards the end of the year. Don't impulse purchase.
Its not about the FICO. I dont think Toyota will give 0% financing on 2021's any time soon. Even if you finance form outside you will get a lower rate I agree but 0% is way too good to ignore.
Sponsored