Should I wait for 2021?

veloist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 MR2 NA, '20 BRZ tS, '20 Supra LE
I've always bought my cars this way. Never paid MSRP nor will I ever. It has worked for my friends and family including myself.
I see. I thought you worked at a car dealership or something.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I personally think, in this economy, and the coming recession, leasing is the better option. I'm leaning towards that myself so in 3 years I'm open to get in a GRMN Supra (if there is one) or something else entirely.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Okay consider these two scenarios.
1. I bought a 2020 this June and sold it in 2022
2. I bought a 2021 this June and sold it in 2022 same time

Selling in 2022 is not what I had in mind but I had to sell due to some unforeseen circumstance.

I believe I would have lost less money in the second scenario. I am talking about the money lost. I am losing money in both scenarios and I know that. But that loss would be more in the first scenario. That's what I think at this point in time.
hi.

Another parameter to consider is, mileage. If case #1 has 5~10K lower mileage than #2, #1 might sell for higher price than #2. For same mileage, #2 will definitely sell higher just purely on MY.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Don't forget the 2020 model is still the car that's been reviewed over, and over, and over, and over again--with mostly positive feedback. Just because the 2021 model is coming out with more power that gives it a 0.2 sec edge from 0-60 and a few chassis tweaks, doesn't mean the 2020 model became a worse car all of a sudden. Besides, when are you actually going to use the 0.2 sec advantage? This car has so much power and torque stock. It did not need a power bump. Many people who drove the 2021 said they did not really feel the chassis changes.
Ammar just did a review of the 2020 vs 2021. The freeway pull shows a significant edge over the 2020.

You guys underestimate the need for dealerships to move inventory. Whether they sell a MY2020 for a big discount or MY2021 at msrp or invoice doesn't matter. What matters is inventory and vehicle allocation. A dealership will sell at invoice or +500 above invoice towards the end of the year. Of course you wouldn't get the best price for a 2021 but the dealership mark up in a prolong recession will lead to unsold inventory.
+1

All of those allocations are on loans so the longer they sit, the more the dealer has to pay the daily interest. The Supras are not moving since it's a 1)Niche car, 2)ADM, 3)Poor marketing, 4)weak market and 5)BMW stigma with a very high depreciation. The same will be for the 2021's, just give it some more time.

http://www.realcartips.com/cardealers/241-why-dealers-need-to-sell-cars-quickly.shtml

Telos

First Name
A2
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Genesis
Is Phantom Gray a confirmed color option in the 2021 models? These dealerships won't budge on the pricing on the 20's trying to sell off that they are super rare..

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I personally think, in this economy, and the coming recession, leasing is the better option. I'm leaning towards that myself so in 3 years I'm open to get in a GRMN Supra (if there is one) or something else entirely.
That’s an interesting thought about leasing. I presume one reason is to try to avoid the increased depreciation?

Depends really on how much additional depreciation happens and how long the effect lasts. I recall that certain US automakers had temporarily suspended leasing after the 08-09 crash. I think this crisis has actually been harder on them. Even if we don’t see leases disappear, it’s quite possible that the rates they offer will be lousy, and/or the residual values will be much lower (meaning you’ll pay more to drive it the same amount of months). We already know the effects Covid has had on used car prices. They’d be fools not to build these lower residuals into the leases. That means if you lease, there’s a 100% chance that you’re paying for the added depreciation that may or may not happen before the lease ends. Sure, in the event that values rise by the end of your lease you could buy it out and sell it privately to recoup more and “break even”, but then you’re not better off than if you bought the car - you still need to sell it when you’re done.

I’d say buy now at minimum finance rates, and hold it long enough to sell when used/wholesale vehicles are no longer undervalued.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
There are those who believe Nissan won’t even be in business soon...
Right after they ousted the person that pulled them out of bankruptcy in the 90s, they start to have financial issues. I can see them going under in a couple years if they don't fix things fast.

Cybermoose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium, 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe, 2015 Kia Soul +
To the depreciation point, I don't think 2021s are going to depreciate any slower, at least than a normal BMW. I also agree that the 2.0 is going to help keep the 2020s above a certain floor, because why buy a used 2021 4 cyl when you can pay an extra $1-2k and get a 2020 3.0? So that's likely a bit of upward pressure on the 2020 used prices. Also if you're selling a 2020 in 2021/22 you're in for a bad time no matter what, probably, based just on market conditions.

On the BMW depreciation, I bought a 2009 E92 used in March 2012, and it was $25k off it's $55k sticker price. I think that's probably a fair approximation of what depreciation's going to look like for the Supra. The 2020s might be a slight bit higher than that 45% or so, but I don't think the 2021s are going to be any lower than that. It isn't like a 2021 Premium is somehow going to be worth $46k in 2023.

whycantidrive

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z