Should I buy?

DaBear723

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Wrong. They're illegal everywhere. Ever heard of the Clean Air Act? Just because you don't have to get tested, doesn't mean it's legal.
Scroll up a little bit. I said I stand corrected, everyone can relax. I get it I get it federal law sure, my state treats catless dp like California treats weed I guess.
Sponsored

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
Scroll up a little bit. I said I stand corrected, everyone can relax. I get it I get it federal law sure, my state treats catless dp like California treats weed I guess.
You guys have catless downpipe stores on every corner??!! Lucky!!! Lol ?

DaBear723

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
You guys have catless downpipe stores on every corner??!! Lucky!!! Lol ?
I was just in PB a few months ago and I may or may not have checked out one of those places. No catless downpipes but there were def other kinds of "down pipes".
Sorry OP didnt mean to hijack your post, but def get it looked at because that is a good deal if it all checks out. Would love to have a pure turbo but to buy one with one installed would be great.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Would love to have a pure turbo but to buy one with one installed would be great.
Unless they blew it up on the dyno that is... ;) I know people these days will dump thousands into something for a youtube video and then sell it the next month - but there has to be some reason to do all that and then take a loss on the whole thing that soon! Hopefully, they're just bad with money, have ADD, and wanted another new car or needed room in their garage. Possible that they got all that done and their SO informed them they were going to be a parent soon?

The thing you can fairly confidently guarantee is that they weren't looking for more streetable power after those mods (just more traction)... so I'd be really hesitant unless you're prepared for at least a few headaches - and possibly expensive repairs too.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I wouldn't. It's modded and dumped after 7k? It's a risk, for sure
This^^^ Its used and abused at this point. Do you want someone else's project that is also not going to do well in terms of warranty potentially? Do you need the warranty? If you are spending 50k + get a good car. Not this used tuned - unknown quantity.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
This^^^ Its used and abused at this point. Do you want someone else's project
100%. If I could get this thing for less than 50k, it's becoming my project. On sale. The absolute worse case is you send this boy over to Norris/p2tuned, and go 3.2 stroker. Considering the 10k you saved from the included parts alone... 100% worth it.

OP
OP

Hyperlite89

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda civic
I was just in PB a few months ago and I may or may not have checked out one of those places. No catless downpipes but there were def other kinds of "down pipes".
Sorry OP didnt mean to hijack your post, but def get it looked at because that is a good deal if it all checks out. Would love to have a pure turbo but to buy one with one installed would be great.
yeah I agree. It drove great and had gobs of power. I will get it checked out mechanically and if it is sound pull the trigger most likely.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
so many variables with an upgraded turbo car and no history. I would be weary especially without having a stock turbo, if there is some issues getting any warranty work on the engine is going to be really tricky.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Lol. Imagine in CA you get pulled over with a dime bag and a catless DP and they'll impound your car but you can keep your weed. ?

OP
OP

Hyperlite89

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda civic
so many variables with an upgraded turbo car and no history. I would be weary especially without having a stock turbo, if there is some issues getting any warranty work on the engine is going to be really tricky.
I will be daily driving it so reliability is definitely a concern. I would run a conservative tune and not be pushing the limits of the parts.

I guess the main question is, if the inspection from a reliable mechanic/performance shop comes back clean, is it worth the no warranty.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
I will be daily driving it so reliability is definitely a concern. I would run a conservative tune and not be pushing the limits of the parts.

I guess the main question is, if the inspection from a reliable mechanic/performance shop comes back clean, is it worth the no warranty.
That depends on how deep your pockets are. The B58 itself is a reasonably reliable engine, as long as you take proper care of it. The problem is electronics. Do some digging on the NON-engine-related issues people have had on here. Radar and camera for cruise control, that kind of thing. None of it is cheap - but you might be able to get Toyota to cover a lot of things like that under warranty. On the engine side, you may eventually have to start worrying about things like VANOS solenoids, high-pressure fuel pump, etc., which might have been covered under warranty.

That said, I think anyone here would tell you - you could easily go 100k without a single problem... Or it could nickel-and-dime you to death for the entire time you own it. That's just how German cars go... Well, that's becoming most cars these days, but German cars are notorious for it. The same exact model, built with the same options, could either absolutely bulletproof until the end of time, or they're absolute garbage.

What it comes down to is this - if the price is right, the mods don't scare you, and you can afford an occasional repair bill, go for it. That low, low price (in this market, especially) concerns me a bit, but that's what the tech inspection is for. No one is going to know if it was a mistake until it's too late. :)

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0

Let me play devils advocate also. You won't know if the owner pushed the limits for 7k already.

Thing is, with modified cars there is always an inherent risk. Whether or not "paying to play" is ok with you. Even untouched cars may or may not have issues. If you were to buy a new one and apply a "conservative tune" yrself, most likely yr warranty won't be worth anything anyway. If something went wrong and it was determined it was based on a tune, etc yr warranty would be not valid anyway. And no matter what people say, Toyota can see if a tune was added then put back IF they wanted or needed to. It's just a question on what you feel more comfortable with. Are you fine buying another turbo? Paying to replace anything out of pocket really. If sure, then do it. If you would rather not, then buy new and don't mess with anything. It's all risk and cost, what are you willing to pay for if needed.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor

If you were able to get in touch with the previous owner and get the story that would probably set my mind at ease. If this is going to be your daily and main mode of transportation, I'd find a bone stock car that should have no problem with warranty and mod it to your liking. Better off starting from scratch than buying a car and needing a big ticket repair.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I will be daily driving it so reliability is definitely a concern.
Oh, I might change my answer if you're going to daily this thing. is this car a steal for a race car at < $50k? Yes. yes. it is.

If this car a steal for a daily at < $50k, ehh, maybe not. Have a reputable tuner shop check it out before you pull the trigger.
Sponsored