Smoke?

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
I've noticed lately that sometimes when I come to a stop, say at a light, some visible smoke wafts forward. Kinda stinks too. My girl has noticed when I start her up in the garage (not my girl, the car, lol) it smells. I do have an aftermarket exhaust. The original owner had it installed. $2,500 exhaust if I recall.

It doesn't always smoke at a stop, just here and there. Curious if that's normal? I don't have any oil/engine notification lights on the dash. Just got my last oil change about two months ago. Appreciate any insight!
Sponsored

visbits

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 MKV MT, 94 RX7, 95 Supra, 02 S2K, 17 GT350
A "ploom" of smoke is oil consumption somewhere.. could be a lot of things, rings, PCV system, turbo, gasket.... I assume catless downpipe? You wouldn't get smoke with a cat.

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Your mouth to God's ears, brother, I will call someone today. Thank you!

Should it be a Toyota dealership or would a reputable car/oil plce be okay?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The previous owner might have installed a CATless downpipe or high flowing downpipe.
You'll have to look under the car to see if there are any brand logos or something..

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
I know nothing of cat/catless, so thank you guys for informing me. All I see on the tail pipes is a "VR" logo.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Your mouth to God's ears, brother, I will call someone today. Thank you!

Should it be a Toyota dealership or would a reputable car/oil plce be okay?
I’d find a nice BMW race/aftermarket shop. The Toyota dealers understandably have a hard time with anything not completely stock.

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
I took it in to a reputable local shop and they said their diagnostics showed an issue with the Catalytic Converter, efficiency too low. They too smelled the smoke, said it had almost plastic-burning smell and that this definitely shouldn't be going on with such a newer car. They were unaware that it had an aftermarket exhaust and said it is best to take it to a dealership.

I just hope that damn aftermarket exhaust (it was already on when I purchased it) doesn't negate any warranty. Those CC's are $2K! I have it scheduled for the 20th. Oh, and apparently my tires are needing to be replaced soon. Weeeeee!!

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
The exhaust won’t have anything to do with the catalytic converter. If they tell you otherwise they are full of shit.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sounds like he installed a catless or catted downpipe. You’re just finding out now lol. Send us a video of some revs from behind. Turbo whistle from the exhaust usually gives it away

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Just be careful when taking it to the dealer, even if the cat is still stock the car could also have a tune on it that the original owner didn't tell you about. In which case they would definitely deny any repairs.

Stock car with stock cat (cat back exhaust doesn't really do anything besides spicing up the noise) shouldn't really be having cat issues this soon.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Perhaps open the hood and take a pic of the DP that's in there right now - maybe someone will be able to help.

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Thanks fellas, I'll start taking some pics and video and upload as soon as I can. Appreciate all the wise wisdom.
Sponsored