Smoke?

SupraSa1yan

First Name
SSJBLUE
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 supra 3.0, 21 Taco
200$ doesnt sound too bad at all, atleast they found out the issue unlike the reputable shop you went to. Time, skills, and equipment aren't cheap. Or you could have taken a picture of the downpipe for the group to see and let ya know... Sounds like you might have a tune on your car too if you have no check engine light due to catless downpipe.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Yeah it does have check engine oil light on all the time. I suppose it could have been worse and now I know at least, but to be fair the other place didnā€™t charge me for the diagnostics which was very cool of them.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Yeah it does have check engine oil light on all the time. I suppose it could have been worse and now I know at least, but to be fair the other place didnā€™t charge me for the diagnostics which was very cool of them.
Good to know. Perhaps at the beginning of this thread would have been ideal.

Phil

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
I have mentioned it before I swore in this thread but itā€™s possible in a different thread.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Okay just got back from the dealership. I think the lady on the phone called it a "straight pipe" or "single pipe" exhaust? (it's a dual exhaust coming out of the very back). I can't remember. She said it's all the way from the turbo on back. Their comments:

"Could not confirm smoke from exhaust, exhaust does smell rich. Raised vehicle, has aftermarket exhaust and catalytic converter has been replaced with what appears to be a catalytic converter delete pipe. Efficiency too low, recommend removing after market exhaust and return to stock."

They said it would cost $7,600 to return the exhaust to stock. I couldn't hear what else they said after that as I was laughing them out of the room. So let's see, replace the $2,500 exhaust system, pay $7,600 to return to stock all so I don't have the rare trace of smoke once in awhile.

Sure, let me get right on that. <eye roll>

Oh, and I had the privilege of paying over $200 basically to put my car on a lift and tell me I have an aftermarket exhaust without a catalytic converter.

And they didn't even buy me dinner nor give it a wash. Pricks.
That sucks. Even for a dealer those prices are insane! I personally just stay away from any dealership so I can enjoy my car. I did have to search for a great independent BMW mechanic. Once you get this, all these things they are telling you are not a big deal and should not be that expensive.

The only way Iā€™m going to a dealer would be if my mechanic has the info ready to tell them what to do under warranty and why.

Crap dude! Again, sorry to hear. Hope you find a good mechanic soon šŸ”œ

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Thanks man, and my thoughts exactly! I am done taking it to a dealership for any reason unless it's a clear-case warranty issue that they can fix. I am definitely going to be on the lookout for that coveted BMW mechanic.

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Hopefully these photos help...Not the best but it's so low to the ground...Would need it on a lift to get a great shot...Thanks!

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

h1.jpg

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
I've noticed lately that sometimes when I come to a stop, say at a light, some visible smoke wafts forward. Kinda stinks too. My girl has noticed when I start her up in the garage (not my girl, the car, lol) it smells. I do have an aftermarket exhaust. The original owner had it installed. $2,500 exhaust if I recall.

It doesn't always smoke at a stop, just here and there. Curious if that's normal? I don't have any oil/engine notification lights on the dash. Just got my last oil change about two months ago. Appreciate any insight!
I have a 2021 with 8,000 miles on it. It's had a catless downpipe and been tuned since about 1,500 miles, until here recently when Toyota forced it back to stock with an ECU update. Anyways, I've had a wafting of smoke like you're describing maybe three or four times in the time I've owned this car. It's always when coming to a stop, and it's usually white/grayish smoke and smells like burning oil. My car has never had oil consumption issues, at least to my knowledge, the light has never come on, and still runs phenomenally. Every time I've done a manual oil level check it's always at the full line. I've seen other people on these forums complain about the same issue from time to time, but it never seems to be anything serious. This is also my first ever turbocharged vehicle, so I'm not sure if this just happens sometimes if oil gets into the the wrong places and has to burn off?

OP
OP
Aros

Aros

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
You described my issue exactly. I am just going to live with it as it isn't very often and doesn't seem to be a serious problem other than the minor embarrassment at a stop light, lol.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
None on mine either @Axix23 šŸ¦€ Hence a good mechanic is so important if you do any mods.
Sponsored