OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
Aliexpress sells a supra model too....search for gr supra and they come up...you use all your hardware including your stock airbag...I ordered one yesterday! No core charge either! Also only mid $500 usd!
I'll check that out. IN the meantime let me know how it goes. Quality etc and please send me photos.
Sponsored

Luckymike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 Z06, 17 VW Beetle Dune, 11 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 RR, 15 RDX
Aliexpress steering wheel...price today is 579 usd
Supra Steering Wheel2.jpg
ice varies with currency fluctuations...is 579 usd today!

OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Aliexpress steering wheel...price today is 579 usdice varies with currency fluctuations...is 579 usd today!
I checked it out - its very similar to the one I've seen on ebay which is significantly more. It would not be my first choice (stitching color and perforated leather) but the price is really hard to pass it up. Would nice if someone who's bought one can chime in. Quality is always a concern with Alliexpress.

I may get impatient and just order it. Do you think the diameter of this wheel is smaller?
Grip is thicker?

OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just ordered it. What the hell. Its so much cheaper than anything out there. It arrives on 16 January should take me a week to have it on. I will send photos and report back

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
I'm fairly certain the Ali Express vendors will accommodate special orders, at least to change colors of stitching, center stripe, etc. as well as leather choice (Smooth, Perforated, Alcantara).

The dirty secret is most of the wheels sold by the established vendors are all sourced from China, and I would bet many of them are the exact same as the versions offered on Ali.

It would be worth writing the vendors to see if they can get you what you want.

I've got one of these similar wheels, and I love it. Totally changed the character of the car. Feels fantastic. I can't stop looking at it everytime I get in the car. Highly recommended upgrade.

dYjIUaN.jpg

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
It truly is one of the best mods for this car and definitely the best one for the interior, aside from Tadda's sound-improving DIY.

Luckymike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 Z06, 17 VW Beetle Dune, 11 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 RR, 15 RDX
Aliexpress steering wheel...price today is 579 usd
Supra Steering Wheel2.jpg
ice varies with currency fluctuations...is 579 usd today!
I got my wheel today from AliExpress.....was perfect and looks exactly like the illustration.... hardest part is inserting the 3 black plastic inserts ....I lubed them first with dish soap and very carefully pressed them in with the colared screw (Very snug fit.....can't stress this enough!) . Great buy for sure....I'll pass on a corvette tip and link later to fabric pen the stitching on the dash and seats to red too!

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
How many hours is the install and out of 10 difficulty to those who have done this diy.
Tia.
I'd say a 7 out of 10. Took me nearly 3 hours the first time.

The most difficult parts::

1) Trying to get the airbag to release - you have to insert whatever tool you're using exactly perpendicular to the slot on the steering wheel to catch the spring and release properly. A flathead screw driver won't do since it may go through the spring gaps.

2) The little blue clips that hold the paddle shifters are a PITA to disengage. I nearly destroyed one.

3) The 3 black plastic trim pieces that are screwed in - you have to pry them out after the screws are removed and reinsert them in the new wheel. Be sure to lube them up. Having a small tool to "shoe-horn" them in will help.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
I'd say installation is about a 6 difficulty (scale of 1 to 10) and takes about 2 hours. You have to disconnect the battery. For me, the hardest part was removing the airbag. There's videos that show you the basic procedure. Some come off easy, some are nearly impossible to remove. Mine was the later. You stick a screwdriver into a special pocket on the backside, and use that to lever-in a spring/wire which (in theory) releases the airbag from 3 individual mounting points.

Took me probably 2 dozen tries and a good hour to finally get mine off. Was a total PITA. For others, it comes off on the first try. I think it depends on the tolerances of the parts and the spring.

Once the airbag is out, the rest is a piece of cake.

Akashugly

First Name
Akash
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I'd say installation is about a 6 difficulty (scale of 1 to 10) and takes about 2 hours. You have to disconnect the battery. For me, the hardest part was removing the airbag. There's videos that show you the basic procedure. Some come off easy, some are nearly impossible to remove. Mine was the later. You stick a screwdriver into a special pocket on the backside, and use that to lever-in a spring/wire which (in theory) releases the airbag from 3 individual mounting points.

Took me probably 2 dozen tries and a good hour to finally get mine off. Was a total PITA. For others, it comes off on the first try. I think it depends on the tolerances of the parts and the spring.

Once the airbag is out, the rest is a piece of cake.
I got the same wheel and now i have an airbag sign, any idea how to clear this error code?

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
If you don't disconnect the battery and then remove the airbag, my understanding is it will throw an airbag code. I don't have direct experience in clearing this code, but I would think Bimmercode (not BimmerLink) should have the ability to both read and reset any code in the car, including airbag codes. Perhaps someone else can confirm this.

Note: to avoid this problem for anyone swapping wheels, you'll want to disconnect the battery before removing the wheel.

JimboSlice

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Man I wish I found this thread and these ALiExpress steering wheels before I installed my wheel! I went with a local vendor and spent about $800 and have had it for a few months.

I definitely agree this is one of the best interior mods on the car. Great job for you guys that found them so cheap! The install was definitely a PITA...We had a hard time removing the airbag and completely f**ked up the airbag removal bungs on the stock wheel. The splines matched up well but definitely hard to torque it down.

Next owner will have a nice wheel :rolleyes:
Sponsored