Stock tires slowly going flat

Ostagon

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I've got about 12k miles on my Supra, and I've had to replace the front drivers side tire 3 times, and the rear drivers side tire once over the last year. Dealership has been doing the work and they are stumped as to why it keeps happening.

Anyone else having trouble with stock tires slowly going flat? Like 4-5 psi a day. It's strange because it will be fine for a few weeks and then out of the blue decide its going to start going flat. First thought was some young ruffians in the neighborhood slowly letting the air out of the tire at night to harass the neighbor (as teens should be doing), but I've taken it on vacation for a couple weeks and same issue arises.
Sponsored

cbrummell

First Name
carson
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 nitro yellow supra 3.0 premium
sounds like your wheels are bad. and what do you mean changed the tire?? you can just add air...

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Have they tried soapy water around the bead? Considering it’s both on the same side I’d think someone ran over a pothole and damaged the wheels themselves.

OP
OP
Ostagon

Ostagon

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
sounds like your wheels are bad. and what do you mean changed the tire?? you can just add air...
Filling the tire with air every morning was getting annoying and considering how expensive these vehicles are, I was hoping for better tire performance. I know they're not racing tires or super fancy, but this is the first vehicle I've owned that I've had this issue with.

As for changing the tire, I paid for my dealerships tire insurance so anything tire related is paid for by the dealership. With everything that's happened, its already paid for itself thankfully.

driftguy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Nocturnal 3.0 Premium, 2021 BMW 2 Series
A tire losing air is going to have nothing to do with performance or cost.

Wheels have damage, valve stems or cores have damage, or you're just picking up punctures more often than you have in the past.

No way to know for certain, but if it's an issue often enough you should ask the dealer WHY they are losing air. It doesn't just disappear. Something is wrong, but not performance related or cost related.

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
I had a slow leak flat on my driver's side rear last week. Tire would go completely flat in about a 24 hour time period. When I'd fill it back up it appeared to hold air only to be flat again the next morning. Turns out I picked up some sort of weird angular nail that went through the steel belt on the car side of the tread. I couldn't see it or feel it with my hand until I pulled the wheel off.

Thankfully the tire place I usually go to was able to source a replacement that only took a day to get in. Other places were quoting me upwards of a week to get the tire. Toyota dealer had none and was saying two to three days to get one.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Has anyone checked the obvious. The valve cores are not seated or are from a bad batch? Easy and cheap enough to replace. You can change them out at the garage and not loose all the air if your good, like me, lol.
Phil

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
As @JTN said, might be the case. Unfortunately, it may be due to a small puncture that isn't noticeable. If it's losing pressure sporadically, it may be because when the tire is rotated a certain way it covers up the leak. Then, when you move the car and next time it sits, it doesn't sit on the puncture, "plugging it" causing it to leak. Had this issue with mine, until I replaced the tire.

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
I mean there's only a few components in a wheel assembly. The tire, the rim, the sensor, and the valve stem. You've already eliminated one, two of the others can be tested in one shot.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
As @JTN said, might be the case. Unfortunately, it may be due to a small puncture that isn't noticeable. If it's losing pressure sporadically, it may be because when the tire is rotated a certain way it covers up the leak. Then, when you move the car and next time it sits, it doesn't sit on the puncture, "plugging it" causing it to leak. Had this issue with mine, until I replaced the tire.
He's replace the front drivers 3 times and the rear once already. Think we can eliminate punctures or faulty tyres. Looking for commonality here so TPMS units, rims or valve cores.

Phil

Last edited:

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
He's replace the front drivers 33 times and the rear once already. Think we can eliminate punctures or faulty tyres. Looking for commonality here so TPMS units, rims or valve cores.

Phil
Oh shit, 33 times huh?! That's a lot of tires.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
I'd say take the rim off the car pull off your valve cap and spray soapy water on the tire and rim to look for bubbles. If you can't fix it yourself mark the area with bubbles and video it for the dealer or someone else to work on it.

Lik

First Name
Wayden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra 3.0P, 19 370ZR, 23 Model 3, 99 GS-T
Not to be mean but how much do you and your significant other weigh. I think it can handle gorilla weights but not baby elephants. /s
Sponsored