The A70TTR Dedication Thread!

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Battery engineers are focusing on their r & d that will most likely end up mass producing solid state batteries that will most likely replace lithium ion batteries. Solid state batteries have higher density and will be more safe and efficient than lithium ion batteries. It will not contain materials that may be dangerous or toxic, and it will be packed as a more compact package, allowing electric cars to be lighter and greener. But since this battery technology is relatively new, it’s very expensive at the moment. Hydrogen fuel cell, on the other hand, is the top priority being supported by the Japanese government in Japan as for their future of mobility. Fuel cell doesn’t carry heavy battery packs like electric cars do. The downside is that it’s still very costly to produce and there aren’t that much infrastructure supporting it. To date, there are only very limited fuel cell stations worldwide. So it seems like electric cars are still the better choices. It’s just that there hasn’t been a consistent solution to electric cars just yet on how to quickly recharge the battery as compared to how fast you would fill up a tank of gasoline or diesel or fuel cell tank. The future is clearly moving to electric and fuel cell. I just hope the internal combustion engine won’t die anytime soon.
Sponsored

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Accuracy depends on who's making the predictions. If it's people like Popular Mechanics, then you can save your money and skip buying an electric car. Just wait until next summer when the flying ones come out!
:rolleyes:
I'm thinking of more credible sources like Science Daily, which provides short summaries of peer-reviewed research papers, and the NYT. There have been several battery "breakthroughs" in labs in the past 10-20 years, but so far none have been able to make the move to cost-effective production at meaningful volume levels.

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking of more credible sources like Science Daily, which provides short summaries of peer-reviewed research papers, and the NYT. There have been several battery "breakthroughs" in labs in the past 10-20 years, but so far none have been able to make the move to cost-effective production at meaningful volume levels.
That's the problem with how the press covers science and technology, it's too sensationalist for my taste. If you search for upcoming battery tech, you'll be greeted with articles about graphine nano-architecture and low temp solid-oxide fuel cells. All of which are decades away from being consumer grade items. Which is the point you are making.

The problem is that real progress doesn't always occur through "breakthroughs". In my industry (aerospace) we've nearly quadrupled gravimetric capacity in Li-Ion batteries in the last 10-15 years. Those gains happened by getting 1.8% more capacity here, and shaving 4.5% in weight there. Which doesn't generate headlines anywhere outside of some unread trade publication.

Last edited:

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
But to get back on topic, I know you can't divulge anything A70, but I saw you were involved in 3 projects?

I thought you were involved in only two. I'm guessing Lexus has a lot of surprises coming up for their eventual refresh of their cars?

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
The third project is actually one from Toyota, but yeah it's nothing real exciting sadly lol.

waleed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'15 IS 350 F-Sport, '14 Accord Coupe V6
Guys, no one should be banned for being too repetitive or posting too much. Its a forum, everyone should be welcomed.

Patience is what we need the most right now (hopefully till Jan) :grouphug:

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
@A70TTR now that all the reviews and test drives are out of the way, have you driven or been driven in the A90? If so, do most of the reviews so far align with your experience?

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I'm not sure how to properly answer that as I feel the reviews have a decent amount of variance (everyone has an opinion), but I suppose so.
Sponsored