The Official Australian WAITING FOR MY SUPRA Thread

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Here's something to try esp if you're running it in and short shifting it everywhere. Rev it to 4000-5000rpm in first then change to second and see if it's any better. Gearboxes need some road speed to shift well esp 1st to 2nd. Usually the more road speed you are doing the better they shift especially a big gearbox designed to transmit a lot of torque.
This is completely true, and I've become well aware that the 6MT makes the one-two shift a lot better if you get some higher rpm into it. You don't have to wind out the other gears to get a better shift action though, just the one-two. If you REALLY want to love your shift action, ditch the stock 200gr knob and install a 400-500gr. That changed EVERYTHING!
Sponsored

Snakes70

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1999 EVO3 WRX
Hi Fuzzy,
Have you got a different shift knob for the manual version?
I haven't seen any, got any pics? Where did you get it? Etc, etc :)

SupeHamster

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Various
I've done around 400km and the shift feel is.. ok. While severely under powered in comparison, my Type R has it beat in that regard. And that first to second shift isn't winning any awards.

Another thing that I'm getting used to is the ridiculous power band. In the Type R, each gear meant something: Wrong gear = slow. In the Supra, there's so much torque everywhere that it seems that no matter what gear you're in, you're good to go. It's so easy to drive that it almost defeats the purpose of having a manual gearbox. 😅
I saw one of the reviews mention that taking off in 2nd is doable? Do you reckon that's a realistic option or would you need to slip the clutch too much?

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I saw one of the reviews mention that taking off in 2nd is doable? Do you reckon that's a realistic option or would you need to slip the clutch too much?
I'm not sure but I think the reviews you're thinking of were referring to the automatic transmission.

SupeHamster

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Various
I'm not sure but I think the reviews you're thinking of were referring to the automatic transmission.
It was this review I was thinking of

It seems to pull away alright on video (@6:10) but wondering whether it feels like car abuse 😅

SupeHamster

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Various
So I've had an update from my dealer and it's looking like I may have the car within the next month-ish 🎉

I'm getting a bit more serious about lining up the essentials now. Do any of you guys have any recommendations on insurer? I've noticed a couple of the cheapo insurers won't cover it.

Any first hand experience on the value of PPF on AU roads? I'm inclined to risk going without it, but hearing about the "soft paint" on these forums has me second guessing myself.

GRSoup

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
So I've had an update from my dealer and it's looking like I may have the car within the next month-ish 🎉

I'm getting a bit more serious about lining up the essentials now. Do any of you guys have any recommendations on insurer? I've noticed a couple of the cheapo insurers won't cover it.

Any first hand experience on the value of PPF on AU roads? I'm inclined to risk going without it, but hearing about the "soft paint" on these forums has me second guessing myself.

My bonnet has already got a few stone chips and it only marked the ppf and not the car paint. I think it's worth it. Mines got a hydroponic coating so it's great.

I would recommend it.

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
It was this review I was thinking of

It seems to pull away alright on video (@6:10) but wondering whether it feels like car abuse 😅
Ironically, I think that goes to show you how frustratingly easy a drive the transmission is. As for getting off the line, I don't think using second would be the right choice. Having said that, I do believe starting in second in the automatic does yield faster 0-100 times.

Scuba

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MT Supra GTS

I ended up going with Suncorp for my insurance, they have choice of repairer however if they don't like your repairer (don't authorise the work) they won't guarantee it, they'll just pay you instead of the repairer.

I got my home insurance renewal at the same time and took both to them and got a 20%? Discount.

Youi were the next most competitive for me. A little annoyingly they won't do an online quote.

Given the complete shit show which are roads in Victoria and the debris scattered everywhere I don't think I'll ever get a car again and not put PPF on it even if it's just the front.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I ended up going with Suncorp for my insurance, they have choice of repairer however if they don't like your repairer (don't authorise the work) they won't guarantee it, they'll just pay you instead of the repairer.

I got my home insurance renewal at the same time and took both to them and got a 20%? Discount.

Youi were the next most competitive for me. A little annoyingly they won't do an online quote.

Given the complete shit show which are roads in Victoria and the debris scattered everywhere I don't think I'll ever get a car again and not put PPF on it even if it's just the front.
Ain't that the truth. I live in a semi rural area and every time it rains half the pebble/gravel driveways here end up on the road for the next month until the traffic sweeps it all away.

Phil

wilorichie

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra and Z
Now that I've had PPF, I'll always have it on now, even if its just the front quarter.

Same road everyday for a year, no ppf, plenty of chips. Next new car, PPF, zero marks on the paint. A chip in the PPF, but nothing past it.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL

Snakes70

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1999 EVO3 WRX
Cool thanks Fuzzy......interesting read.

GRSoup

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Hi Fuzzy,
Have you got a different shift knob for the manual version?
I haven't seen any, got any pics? Where did you get it? Etc, etc :)
I got the Raceseng Shift Knob, I love it sooo much.

Here is a picture of it.

20230524_150614.jpg

20230524_151550.jpg

Scuba

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MT Supra GTS
Toyota just emailed me reminding me about the 1 month inspection which got me thinking.

Beyond the initial inspection who trusts Toyota to service this car?
Sponsored