Car(s)
E46 M3 cabrio
A new article from Autoguide claims the Supra is debuting in 2017.....:(

A few noteworthy rumors here:

- Appeal to the masses
- Front engine, RWD
- Lightweight model with abundant aluminum and carbon fiber
- Low stance and profile
- Supercharged BMW engine, a variation of 3.0L inline 6 (around 400hp)
- Goal: 0-6 in 4 secs / 155mph top speed
- under 30,000 euros

The joint sports car project between BMW and Toyota is rumored to make its debut in 2017.

While few details on the project have been revealed so far, some info has surfaced that should be considered rumors for the time being. But according to an inside source with BMW speaking to German publication AutoZeitung, the project won’t be a supercar, but rather “an innovative and emotional athlete for larger production.” In other words, a sports car that will appeal to the masses rather than the select and prestigious few. It will be a lightweight model sporting plenty of aluminum and carbon fiber and will use a front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout.

The vehicle will have a very low stance and profile, and currently the team is favoring a supercharged powerplant from BMW, a variation of its 3.0-liter inline-six engine churning around 400 hp. The collaboration hopes to produce a sports car that can accelerate to 62 mph in around four seconds while having a top speed of 155 mph.

Naturally, Toyota’s variant will come onto the market cheaper at under 30,000 Euros while BMW’s version will command a premium of at least 5,000 to 10,000 Euros more. But expect plenty more luxury and technology in the BMW variant while the Toyota one might appeal more to hardcore sports car enthusiasts not looking for all the bells and whistles.
Sponsored

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
No way in hell it's that low. Calty was given orders to build a 50-60k car.

That calls into question the rest of the article, call it wishful thinking but I think we will see it at the end of 2016.

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
I'd rather see a turbo 6 but i do love their performance goals... the 0 to 60 would make it vette territory.

high roller

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTI
It all depends on whether we get another concept or not. There is simply no reason for them to show the FT1 this early and wait until 2017 in my opinion...sitting 3 yrs on one concept alone? I don't see it.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
So a $42K car with lots of carbon fiber and aluminum and it runs vette times? what are these guys smoking?

Respek

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Mustang
Speaking of the corvette it sounds exactly like what they are gunning for

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
Love how outlets just pull stuff out of thin air to make a story out of it. Under $30k euro = under $37k dollars... LMAO. And no way in hell this is going to get a BMW engine. Why even bother reviving the Supra name if they give it a BMW heart. You might as well calll it the Toyota Z4 then.

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
FHw5X9t.jpg

If you need more convincing that the bogus rumors about an AWD supra (when it has been said by Tada that it will be RWD) or a prohibitively expensive hybrid powertrain are indeed bogus, take a read at this autonews article.

Supra: The 2014 Detroit auto show unveiling of the FT-1 concept points clearly to the direction Toyota wants with its Supra successor. Toyota and BMW are working together on sports car architecture that will spawn the next Supra, as well as a production Lexus LF-LC. Given that Toyota and BMW have a history of inline-six engines and are both heavily into turbocharging, expect the Supra to carry a turbocharged inline-six that generates at least 425 hp. This is intended to be a throwback rear-wheel-drive sports car -- no hybrid version, no all-wheel drive. Code-named Silk Road internally, the next-generation Supra should arrive in fall 2017 or spring 2018. Some insiders say it will not be called Supra, as the company has trademarked the nameplate "Mirai."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140728/OEM04/307289970/toyota-delay-could-have-domino-effect

Besides the bit about platform underpinning the LF-LC and the nameplate "Mirai" I'd say this is a lot more accurate than other reports we have seen with wild speculation.

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
Why would anyone even want a hybrid powertrain in this? Do you WANT it to cost 6 figures?

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
Why would anyone even want a hybrid powertrain in this? Do you WANT it to cost 6 figures?
+1

Not to mention Tada san also said the flagship sports coupe will not be a hybrid. Save that for all the higher end Lexus. It's clear as day.

There is also info that Lexus is working on a new engine, a twin turbo V6 which is in dvelopment. There's nothing yet that it will be used for anything other than say the IS-F but it could certainly fit the bill for the MKV Supra.

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
At the price point thats been hinted I don't know where the hybrid rumors are coming from. It's economically not possible at 50-60g's and who Toyota wants to market with the Supra.

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
+1

Not to mention Tada san also said the flagship sports coupe will not be a hybrid. Save that for all the higher end Lexus. It's clear as day.

There is also info that Lexus is working on a new engine, a twin turbo V6 which is in dvelopment. There's nothing yet that it will be used for anything other than say the IS-F but it could certainly fit the bill for the MKV Supra.
I could see that seeing as how I think the price will be comparable, if slightly less for the Supra. The question also is whether a TT V6 would be the base or the top dog.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
It's either going to be a base turbo 4cyl with a TTv6 as the flagship or TTv6 base and V8 flagship. The V8 I imagine could even come from the 2UR GSE from the RC F. If this is the approach they go with then we're looking at potentially a fairly pricey base Supra. I'm just not sure they will go this route right out the gate.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.