Thoughts on offset front plates?

MK_Surrey

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lightning Yellow 3.0 Pro (2022 Delivery)
Hello,

I'd appreciate gauging opinion on standard central fitment or offset left fitment for our UK plates.

I only really have other pictures from this forum to gauge but I do like the thought of the nose being unobstructed, but without seeing it in real life it's hard to be sure.

I'll be running "**Z 777" as my plate and think a square plate would look best.

Is the best solution for offset using a tow hook fitment?

Links to any products other members are actively using would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
MK
Sponsored

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Pro, Toyota MR2 Mk3, Audi A2
I went for the tow bar number plate bracket that has been used by so many, like yourself - to maintain a clean look to the front of the car. The only issue I have had is that the bolt holding the bracket to the tow hook bar comes loose through vibration from general driving on our less than perfect road surfaces here in NI!
So, I have tried thread locker on the thread of the bolt (Loctite 248), this is a medium strength thread lock and hasn't been a total success as it does slow the bolt loosening process but doesn't eradicate the issue completely as the bolt still becomes loose and means that the bracket swivels after a while so I'll have to try something stronger. Rather than using double sided adhesive pads to stick the number plate to the bracket I have changed to using heavy duty velco strips and they have been very good.
My front plate is square(ish), at first I was a bit skeptical but the look has grown on me as it has a bit of a JDM look in my eyes.

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1991 325i Turbo, 2019 RC350
Not an appropriate answer to your question but I don't run a front plate or inspection sticker in the windshield as mandated by local law (allegedly)

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1991 325i Turbo, 2019 RC350
What are the consequences over there? I'm willing to pay a ticket if I have to but it's been a year and I haven't been so much as glanced at by a cop other than a motorcycle cop screaming at me through my passenger window during rush hour traffic for shooting off a couple of gunshots out of the exhaust as a display of my frustration with traffic

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
I went for the tow bar number plate bracket that has been used by so many, like yourself - to maintain a clean look to the front of the car. The only issue I have had is that the bolt holding the bracket to the tow hook bar comes loose through vibration from general driving on our less than perfect road surfaces here in NI!
So, I have tried thread locker on the thread of the bolt (Loctite 248), this is a medium strength thread lock and hasn't been a total success as it does slow the bolt loosening process but doesn't eradicate the issue completely as the bolt still becomes loose and means that the bracket swivels after a while so I'll have to try something stronger. Rather than using double sided adhesive pads to stick the number plate to the bracket I have changed to using heavy duty velco strips and they have been very good.
My front plate is square(ish), at first I was a bit skeptical but the look has grown on me as it has a bit of a JDM look in my eyes.
Teflon tape

OP
OP
MK_Surrey

MK_Surrey

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I hope this gives you a better idea.
Thank you. This is really helpful to see it on a yellow car.

Hope you're enjoying many happy miles.

OP
OP
MK_Surrey

MK_Surrey

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What are the consequences over there? I'm willing to pay a ticket if I have to but it's been a year and I haven't been so much as glanced at by a cop other than a motorcycle cop screaming at me through my passenger window during rush hour traffic for shooting off a couple of gunshots out of the exhaust as a display of my frustration with traffic
We don't run a State by State system here so it's just the law for the entire UK that you have to run a front number plate. At the moment it's just a fine for non-compliance.

It's incredibly rare to see a car without a front plate here. Those that don't want to comply might put their plate on the dashboard instead.

Not showing my plate just isn't something I would consider, even if with budget cuts you do see less traffic police.

The UK is increasingly rolling out ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) cameras so we're just used to being watched on our travels.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
As you are in Texas, it is fortunate that those were not real gunshots (Yosemite Sam style).

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Teflon tape
Yes, that's the other option! What I would refer to as "plumber's tape ", I tried the thread lock thinking that it would involve less faff than winding tape against the thread of the bolt but it might be the solution I'm looking for.

PeteBaja

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thank you. This is really helpful to see it on a yellow car.

Hope you're enjoying many happy miles.
Thanks, having taken delivery just in time for winter it hasn't been ideal. Wet and muddy roads (from farm traffic on country roads) are not the best place to come to grips with the new car as it's a bit of a step up from the MR2!
Just figuring out how everything works and getting used to the width of the car and that long bonnet compared to the smaller mid engined sports car.
Ards Peninsula is my local haunt which has beautiful roads following the coast, it seems to attract a few glances as it's a rare sight especially over here in NI and I like cars that don't follow the crowd - hence the MR2 rather than the MX5 and the Audi A2.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Yes, that's the other option! What I would refer to as "plumber's tape ", I tried the thread lock thinking that it would involve less faff than winding tape against the thread of the bolt but it might be the solution I'm looking for.
Yeah the liquid might be too thin, considering how much play might be in the bolt, since it's not meant to be water tight. I'd typically try a few layers of Teflon, or even electrical tape which is thicker and stronger?

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I originally started with an EOS offset tow hook mount, then switched to Sto n' Sho which mounts in the center.

After a while, I actually decided I liked the offset look better. It just seemed more flush and streamlined, and doesn't impact the clearance under the front splitter. Not that you should ever be "using" that clearance when parking, but it could be the difference between busting up the splitter/mount vs a near-miss if you pull too far forward in a spot.

Overall, the EOS mount is really nice, I like the way it is adjusted and goes together, very well designed and adjustable. I do not know if the EOS mount is UK compatible, you might have to reach out to them.

EOS Tow Hook Mount: https://eosplates.com/collections/t...-mount-bracket-adapter?variant=23950927429732

Sto n' Sho: https://stonsho.com/2020-2021-toyota-supra-sns207/

Here are some pictures for reference. Since you are in the UK, these are probably only vaguely useful since your plates are a lot wider.

offset.jpg

IMG_0219(1).jpg

OP
OP
MK_Surrey

MK_Surrey

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I originally started with an EOS offset tow hook mount, then switched to Sto n' Sho which mounts in the center.

After a while, I actually decided I liked the offset look better. It just seemed more flush and streamlined, and doesn't impact the clearance under the front splitter. Not that you should ever be "using" that clearance when parking, but it could be the difference between busting up the splitter/mount vs a near-miss if you pull too far forward in a spot.

Overall, the EOS mount is really nice, I like the way it is adjusted and goes together, very well designed and adjustable. I do not know if the EOS mount is UK compatible, you might have to reach out to them.

EOS Tow Hook Mount: https://eosplates.com/collections/t...-mount-bracket-adapter?variant=23950927429732

Sto n' Sho: https://stonsho.com/2020-2021-toyota-supra-sns207/

Here are some pictures for reference. Since you are in the UK, these are probably only vaguely useful since your plates are a lot wider.

offset.jpg

IMG_0219(1).jpg
Thank you, very helpful.
Sponsored