Time for oil change will warranty get voided?

• Thread starter Deleted member 10795
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
I think you guys misunderstood me. When you negotiate with the dealer you have to have some leverage. You can't just say I don't wanna pay for that and expect them to not still try and charge you. You have to have some angle. The act is your angle.

In this case, it's the law that they have to cover if they cannot prove your mod caused the issue. So that's what you ask the dealership if they should try and deny you. If they can't give you an explanation AND they still deny the work THEN you call up corporate. You ask again for an explanation on why they won't cover the warranty. And if they persist then you explain the act, and that you'll bad mouth them all over the internet, and call your lawyer. You then pay the lawyer a few bucks to write a sternly written letter (yes it costs money, so you have to really really want this covered). So and so on until one of you blinks.

I'm fully aware the difference between what people must do vs. what they can get away with. Just because it's against the law for an employer to discriminate against age or race.. doesn't mean that they won't. And if they do your only recourse is to sue. And the rarely works out well. Famous businessmen make a fat living off this distinction.

My point being -- is that a dealership, your employeer, or anyone else can choose to deny warranties, service, a job, etc.. however they wish. They could deny you service because they don't like the color of your car. You are NEVER immune to this scenario. It's just in this case you have a legal leg to stand on.

And my last point. Why would you spend thousands on mods for a brand new car that costs over 50k if you are worried about your warranty. Read Suze Orman. I don't think you can afford it.
Sponsored

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Suze orman ? Does she have a modded Supra 🤨

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..

kanaka

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 JZA80
I remember back when I was Downpipe and Tune - I brought my car into Toyota because my headlight was dying (BMW problems) and they were giving me a hard time on covering the light because I "voided" the warranty with a "modification of the ECU" which had nothing to do with the light dying.

But they still managed to replace it - but they DID however, flash my ECU back to stock and locked it. I had to re-bench unlock it. Pissed me off

kanaka

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 JZA80
Thats just spiteful of them.
I think it was more so the techs had no idea how to resolve the issue so they figured flashing the ECU to stock would fix the lighting issue… sigh

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
I remember back when I was Downpipe and Tune - I brought my car into Toyota because my headlight was dying (BMW problems) and they were giving me a hard time on covering the light because I "voided" the warranty with a "modification of the ECU" which had nothing to do with the light dying.

But they still managed to replace it - but they DID however, flash my ECU back to stock and locked it. I had to re-bench unlock it. Pissed me off
That's some serious BS. I can't stand service departments that seem to think they own your car, not you.

I've had some really bad luck with the service department of all three of the Toyota dealerships in my area, even when the car was bone stock.

Highlights include:
  • Rescheduling 3X times at the last minute due to lack of availability for a "Supra tech".
  • Bringing the car in for service, then waiting for 50 minutes for the utterly clueless service scheduling person to tell me that their particular "Supra tech" wasn't in that day.
  • Had my 10K service as well as the recall ECU flash done in January in New England. I took 5 appointments and 2 trips to the dealership to connect with a "Supra tech".
  • The car was on Continential DWS-06+ all-seasons that had 9k miles (and a ton of life left) and it was recommended that I replace the rear tires with "OEM" PSSs when it was 10 degrees outside and lightly snowing.
  • Other recommendations include removing the leather cover from the key because it could cause "a computer malfunction"; replacing brand new Motul brake fluid because "it's impossible to change your brake fluid correctly at home"; removing my WeatherTech floor liners because "they might get caught under the brake pedal" and removing my wind deflectors because "they'll cause a drop in fuel economy and disrupt the factory aero".
  • Caught one sleezy ass Toyota salesman showing my car off to a potential customer (including getting into it and f-ing around with the infotainment/navigation) while I was waiting for service to be completed. I went over and made a stink and the guy tried to convince me to trade the car in.
  • Caught 2 dealerships hot rodding the car at over 100 mph on public roads (Hidden GPS tracker information), including one that burned about 5 gallons of gas!
I ended up doing the 20k maintenance myself so I didn't have to deal with it and went with Liquid Moly 5W-30. I seriously doubt I'll set foot in another Toyota dealership again.

Last edited:

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Decoded, did I read that right,” hot rodding the car at 100 mph”? Was that your car they
Were “Hot Rodding”,?

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Decoded, did I read that right,” hot rodding the car at 100 mph”? Was that your car they
Were “Hot Rodding”,?
From the GPS data the one joy ride was what looked like a single WOT event on I-95 which passes in front of the dealership. Not a big deal to me.

The other was a LONG joyride with multiple 100+ MPH events. This was at the dealership I purchased the car from a few days after the purchase to have the ECU updated. It took over 8 hours to "update" the car and I got suspicious. I got my lawyer involved with that one, and the dealership has been in pretty deep shit with Toyota of America since (read empty lot with nearly zero allocations). I have it in writing that if there are any powertrain failures that dealership owes me a new engine and transmission no questions asked. Not only that, but they managed to bash something during the whole thing and a piece of the front lip needed to be replaced.

Stealerships suck.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Unbelievable!!! I’d be flippin’!!! Did they get fired? Can u mention the Stealerships name
So the rest of us can avoid this hellhole!
PS other reason I do all O&F’s at home🤨

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0
If you aren't tied up for cash, invest in a quick jack and perform all basic maintenance yourself. Brakes, fluids and oil. Swap tires as you please etc. It will pay off in the long run. Besides, dealerships tend to scratch your car from negligence and ineptitude.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
If you aren't tied up for cash, invest in a quick jack and perform all basic maintenance yourself. Brakes, fluids and oil. Swap tires as you please etc. It will pay off in the long run. Besides, dealerships tend to scratch your car from negligence and ineptitude.
And to add about the QuickJacks, you want the car level when you do an oil change. Because of the shape of the pan and location of the plug putting the front on ramps will leave a good amount of oil in there. So QuickJacks, 4 jack stands, all 4 tires on ramps, etc.