Topping Off Coolant

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
Okay great, that's what I was confused about. Topped it up exactly the same and so far so good

I'm a little convinced my cap might be bad (which is apparently a common issue) as there's quite a bit of dried up residue on the threads.

IMG_0072.jpeg
Hmm yeah looks like it. I'm not sure if replacing the cap is what people usually suggest; might be worth doing. I didn't see any residue on either of my coolant caps. Maybe it's normal for it to need topping off at some points (i just hit 20k miles) so guess i'll be checking the levels going forward.

CFactor

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
So I got the low coolant alert today as I was about to take my kids on a joyride. So much for that idea unfortunately.

Popped the coolant cap off and do not see much in the way of corrosion buildup around on the cap/reservoir threads. There is SOME but a very light amount (nothing like the picture above - I'd guess 1/20th that amount).

Ordering some HT-12 as I don't want to run G48 and deal with warranty/color issues. Figured I'll drop by a BMW dealership and get it tomorrow.

I'm debating on replacing the cap though. I don't see evidence of a leak anywhere around the reservoir, but also not seeing buildup on threads.

I checked in the tank and its WELL below the low line. Does the level switch sit at a lower point than the low indicator? If not, I am surprised this much could have drained/evaporated this quickly.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Hmm yeah looks like it. I'm not sure if replacing the cap is what people usually suggest; might be worth doing. I didn't see any residue on either of my coolant caps. Maybe it's normal for it to need topping off at some points (i just hit 20k miles) so guess i'll be checking the levels going forward.
Everyone keeps talking about this cap/tank residue like it's a fault. It's not necessarily the case. Here's an excerpt from the shop manual.

When driving at high ambient temperatures, the design may cause the pressure relief valve in the reserve tank cap sub-assembly to open slightly and air to escape together with dissolved coolant. This coolant vapor condenses on the surface of the radiator reserve tank assembly and leaves traces of coolant when the vehicle has cooled down. These traces of coolant do not indicate whether the reserve tank cap sub-assembly is defective or not.

Phil

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
So I got the low coolant alert today as I was about to take my kids on a joyride. So much for that idea unfortunately.

Popped the coolant cap off and do not see much in the way of corrosion buildup around on the cap/reservoir threads. There is SOME but a very light amount (nothing like the picture above - I'd guess 1/20th that amount).

Ordering some HT-12 as I don't want to run G48 and deal with warranty/color issues. Figured I'll drop by a BMW dealership and get it tomorrow.

I'm debating on replacing the cap though. I don't see evidence of a leak anywhere around the reservoir, but also not seeing buildup on threads.

I checked in the tank and its WELL below the low line. Does the level switch sit at a lower point than the low indicator? If not, I am surprised this much could have drained/evaporated this quickly.
Here's an excerpt from the owners manual.

The coolant may be overfilled in the coolant reservoir when the vehicle is delivered from the factory. The normal coolant level is achieved by operating the vehicle for a longer period.

So if your car wasn't overfilled slightly from the factory and the system has self bled during operation which they do depending on the time and mileage you have done it may just be the case.
Personally I'd top it off and put a few more miles on it and check it again. In the absence of any evidence of leaking or overheating of course.
Sponsored