Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept Officially Revealed!

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
...that block of text and somehow you can't see how racing a chassis prior to launch doesn't add to its development? smh
Sponsored

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
See, your have just proved my point..... there is no logic in that.... if the racing results don't matter, why enter in the series at all? why build a race car ... why bother testing on racing tracks at all? I would like to think it does mean something. I want to believe Toyota has built that thing to come first, and not 2nd. I want to believe that when it comes to market, its a product that Toyota built to be the best it could - a truly world class car - not one thats just a nostalgic cash platform, - right now there are so many mixed messages i dont know what to believe.

If the racing results dont matter, then its all just for show, marketing and money, makes it worthless to watch or participate in, and that's just plain frustrating to hell. It means its just another half-effort built car.

But I guess i should stop worrying about the supra and just look forward to its arrival.. it will work out in time...... it could be a lot worse .....

In fact, its worth reminding everyone just how much worse it can be... even if it is off topic.

if you look at the VW group - They straight up lie about their cars in giant terms. They build in cheat systems knowing it will indirectly increase air poisoning deaths ("Diesel-gate" if your from mars). They kill monkeys in gas chambers along the way to test how effective that is ( Seriously, google it-> A Link here - Hitler would be proud of that effort, after all he named and founded VW aswell (link),). they have 2 senior staff in jail and many more to follow. Think your GTI really can do what it says? .. VW lie to sell .. its a proven strategy for them - Because despite the fact they are born out of the nazi party, despite the fact they practice they same horrifying gas chamber idea on monkeys in 2018, despite the fact they participate knowingly in widespread global criminal action that contributes overtly to air pollution deaths, despite the fact they have a 30 billion(growing) law suit against them going forward, despite the fact 2 execs are in US jails, despite the fact they have warrants for the arrest of many, many more( and who are now hiding in Germany because they cant be extradited from there) .... despite ALL this - they have the BEST SALES IN THEIR HISTORY right now @ hundreds of billions in revenue.... people are STILL buying their cars .. crime literally pays for VW.

Or you could try fords recent effort, with the export version of the current mustang and its appallingly reduced safety features. All because they actually believed it wouldn't be tested outside america and therefore could save money by throwing away the safety features. They knew America WOULD test the car, so the US version got high safety levels because they HAD to, (and thus it is competitively safe). But for the billions of people in the rest of the world, they literally thought "it wont be tested, so who cares? f#$k the owners, don't spend on safety, we don't have to"..... Its why the export Mustang is one of the most unsafe cars on non-american roads.(One Link here), AND YET its still a success for ford. Even in the face of ford exploiting its customers with a big metaphorical "We dont give a flying f#kn sh#t about your safety!" finger, people STILL buy these things all over the world, again, despite the fact a 25 year old 93' Supra is very likely more safe for the average non-us buyer. Makes you wonder, if they didn't get away with this for the mustang... did they get away with it on other cars and possibly in the US as well? Mondeo, Fiesta, Focus, f-150? did they get the same "Care for the customer" attitude as the mustang?

All car manufactures have very dark points in their history somewhere.. BMW, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Ford, GM/Holden/Vauxhall, whoever .... most have moved long on from it as well ..... "most", because every now and some of them will pull sh#t like the above and true colours shine though... so its always worth bringing it up for people to see in places like here.

So yeah could be worse .... Toyota has long moved on today..... whatever happens with this new Supra project it will be good outcome, and I'll likely have my hand in for the new one when its released, with whatever configuration and however long that takes. I just hope it cant get into the low emissions tax rate (hybrid somewhere, somehow? £0 registration please!!:) )
Wow! You make history come alive!

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
He's an awesome dude. Straight shooter too, doesn't give a f*** what anyone thinks, and somebody I respect massively, more-so than almost anyone else in the car industry.

And just to get a scope of how well connected he is at Toyota, he had his wedding celebration at Fuji Speedway, with Tada-san and Keiichi Tsuchiya, while lapping the convertible 86 prototype. I won't post the pictures to respect his privacy, but yeah he's good friends with a lot of Toyota folk.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
He's an awesome dude. Straight shooter too, doesn't give a f*** what anyone thinks, and somebody I respect massively, more-so than almost anyone else in the car industry.

And just to get a scope of how well connected he is at Toyota, he had his wedding celebration at Fuji Speedway, with Tada-san and Keiichi Tsuchiya, while lapping the convertible 86 prototype. I won't post the pictures to respect his privacy, but yeah he's good friends with a lot of Toyota folk.

Aaaaaand now i want to meet him

Rotaryrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda RX 8
Vehicle Showcase
There is no other point of taking part in racing championship's then marketing and r&d. The 911 rsr for example does share about 5% of its parts with the street Gt3 rs. And the body shape....that's it!

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
lol ... me thinks you didn't read much of it :)
i did, nothing was new or worth debating, you're just speculating on what you think should be the path they take. we're all excited, but none of us are engineers doing this sort of development. more development prior to launch will only be better for us enthusiasts, simple as that...toyota has taken this approach to race their chassis prior to production launch from the very beginning with the 2000GT and with nearly every other significant Toyota/Lexus performance model since then..

Last edited:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
i did, nothing was new or worth debating, you're just speculating on what you think should be the path they take. we're all excited, but none of us are engineers doing this sort of development. more development prior to launch will only be better for us enthusiasts, simple as that...toyota has taken this approach to race their chassis prior to production launch from the very beginning with the 2000GT and with nearly every other significant Toyota/Lexus performance model since then..
Experts are not gods, just humans with some knowledge and experience, but not the only ones, and they also make mistakes, thereby wrong, be it intentional or not.

Reactions: HKz

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
For anybody that ever dealt with the stock RB26 this BMW based engine will be a huge improvement. From what we an see, closed deck, 3L and sorted out oiling haha - this will be unreal. Thinking that the legendary GT-Rs were in the 1550kg range with a 2.6L this Supra will be a legend...if it comes with a manual
Don't get me started on the RB26...

I love them for sound, aesthetics, and the AWD, but they aren't the greatest motor until you build the bottom end, slap a Tomei oil pump on, and install some oil restrictors in the head.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't get me started on the RB26...

I love them for sound, aesthetics, and the AWD, but they aren't the greatest motor until you build the bottom end, slap a Tomei oil pump on, and install some oil restrictors in the head.
Every motor has it’s limit on a stock bottom-end. The “huge power on a stock bottom-end” trend started with the RB26 motors in GT-R’s. The RB26DETT is to this day the motor that “started it all.” I wanted an RB for my Z build, only reason I chose a 2JZ was cost...it was cheaper to buy a 2JZ.

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
Τhe argument is not which engine or manufacturer is the best.
The 90's with the Japanese sports cars at their best was a decade that defined the street racing and tuning culture, from which many legendary cars were born.
The argument is if Toyota made the right choice to put their most iconic sports car name on a joint platform co-developed with another manufacturer based on a totally different concept derived from a 2 seater compact roadster.
Personally i would be more happy if for the same cost reasons the Supra was based on the Lexus RC coupe, featuring totally different exterior and sharing a GR-tuned 200t 2.0 tubo 4-cylinder (base model) and a 3.0l V6 twin turbo for the high end model.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Τhe argument is not which engine or manufacturer is the best.
The 90's with the Japanese sports cars at their best was a decade that defined the street racing and tuning culture, from which many legendary cars were born.
The argument is if Toyota made the right choice to put their most iconic sports car name on a joint platform co-developed with another manufacturer based on a totally different concept derived from a 2 seater compact roadster.
Personally i would be more happy if for the same cost reasons the Supra was based on the Lexus RC coupe, featuring totally different exterior and sharing a GR-tuned 200t 2.0 tubo 4-cylinder (base model) and a 3.0l V6 twin turbo for the high end model.
...or, they kept all of the specs of the MKV Supra as planned and did not name it a Supra. The LC500 body with a LS500TT and cheaper interior would have been a perfect platform for the new MKV Supra. I’ve said this before, the MKV Supra will make or break Toyota’s reputation in the high performance arena. I’m still staying somewhat positive and hopeful the MKV Supra will be a tuning powerhouse. Yet, it’s very much apparent that Toyota is spending all its coin on their white glove brand Lexus.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Every motor has it’s limit on a stock bottom-end. The “huge power on a stock bottom-end” trend started with the RB26 motors in GT-R’s. The RB26DETT is to this day the motor that “started it all.” I wanted an RB for my Z build, only reason I chose a 2JZ was cost...it was cheaper to buy a 2JZ.
Nah not really... the 1J was out in '90, a year behind the RB, and both were making decent power for that time, but they also didnt try to get really crazy then without building motors. Nearly all of the shop cars of the era had built motors...

The RB26 is legendary because of the racing wins taken by the R32 and the ATTESTA awd, not because it could handle crazy amounts of power unmodified. Dont get me wrong though, that accolade is deserved and the overall package was and still is fantastic.

The stock bottom end wars were absolutely a JZ phenomenon and one its wins hands down.

Friend 1: 941whp for 3 years daily on stock bottom end Aristo 2JZ with cams, headstuds, fuel, standalone
Friend 2: 850whp for 7 years daily on stock bottom end mkiv 2JZ with cams, headstuds, fuel, standalone
Friend 3: 820whp for 5 years on stock bottom end A70 1JZ with cams, headstuds, fuel, standalone

The list goes on... no upgraded oil pumps, no oil restrictors, no bottom end upgrades what so ever. That's just not something an RB26 is going to do at the power levels above.

The only thing I will agree with is that every motor has a limit, which is pretty self evident IMO.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nah not really... the 1J was out in '90, a year behind the RB, and both were making decent power for that time, but they also didnt try to get really crazy then without building motors. Nearly all of the shop cars of the era had built motors.
The RB series of engines began way before the JZ series....as in 1985. The RB26DETT was out in 1989, before both the 1JZ and 2JZ. :headbang:

The RB is king when it comes to Japanese engines. Don’t try to justify otherwise...
Sponsored

Last edited: