Toyota Locking all DME

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Toyota may be using the “Brake Issue Recall” to impose software locks onto unlocked cars.
This part is definitely not true, the rest is spot on. The brake thing is massively expensive, is incredibly dangerous, and affects ALL BMWs, 99.9% of which aren't tuned. This isn't a back door to our ECUs, it's a legitimate safety concern.
Sponsored

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
This part is definitely not true, the rest is spot on. The brake thing is massively expensive, is incredibly dangerous, and affects ALL BMWs, 99.9% of which aren't tuned. This isn't a back door to our ECUs, it's a legitimate safety concern.
That’s why I said it’s a speculation but I agree with you completely.

Reactions: zrk

BuyHighSellLow

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Premium, MK6 Jetta
Is there a way to see what firmware (or CAL ID) my 2020 supra has using OBDlink/Bimmercode?

My car went in for oil in July and im wondering if it got the update and lock.

rjn21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Is there a way to see what firmware (or CAL ID) my 2020 supra has using OBDlink/Bimmercode?

My car went in for oil in July and im wondering if it got the update and lock.
You can view the I level in Bimmercode on the vehicle information page once connected. It will be in the format S18T-xx-yy-zzz. Where xx = year, yy = month, zzz = version number.

Last edited:

BuyHighSellLow

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Premium, MK6 Jetta
You can view the I level in Bimmercode on the vehicle information page once connected. It will be in the format S18T-xx-yy-xxx. Wher xx = year, y=month, xxx = version number.
Awesome! I just pulled it and my version number was 560 (on delivery back in 2019) and now its 524. I'm searching the forums for info on the 524 version and if its locked, but not seeing anything yet.

rjn21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Awesome! I just pulled it and my version number was 560 (on delivery back in 2019) and now its 524. I'm searching the forums for info on the 524 version and if its locked, but not seeing anything yet.
Look at the year and month more than the version. I think the version number is limited to applying within a certain time period.

BuyHighSellLow

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Premium, MK6 Jetta
Look at the year and month more than the version. I think the version number is limited to applying within a certain time period.
Ahh okay. Originally it was S18T-19-3-560, and now its S18T-20-3-524.

Since it's not showing 21-7 for the year and month (when I brought it in for service), is it safe to assume it wasn't updated?

rjn21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Correct. It’s now running March 2020 and it was previously on March 2019.
The recall campaign updates it to July 2021 or later. S18T-21-07-519 (or later). The last digits are not sequential over the life of the car (they may be within a calendar year but I don’t know).

Nomicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Nissan Patrol
I have tried to follow this thread and the ECU/Update/Lock saga.

I have a 2019 build (2020 supra) tuned on BM3, the brake recall popped up and I am due a service, hit 35k KM's.

Previous services I just told them don't update/flash the ECU and they haven't. With this recall and the need to update the ECU will it mean I can just reflash the ECU with BM3 and the tune I am running? Or if they do lock it, do I have to get the ECU bench unlocked?

Lot of questions I know.. but I am running a decat and stage 2 tune, the drop in power and check engine light will drive me insane! :eek:

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase

I have a 2019 build (2020 supra) tuned on BM3, the brake recall popped up and I am due a service, hit 35k KM's.

Previous services I just told them don't update/flash the ECU and they haven't. With this recall and the need to update the ECU will it mean I can just reflash the ECU with BM3 and the tune I am running? Or if they do lock it, do I have to get the ECU bench unlocked?

Lot of questions I know.. but I am running a decat and stage 2 tune, the drop in power and check engine light will drive me insane! :eek:
Lock and will need another bench. But not lock indefinitely.... but theres also a chance they'll brick your ECU... ??‍♂

Involus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium Turbulence Grey

https://www.viscontituning.com/pages/toyota-supra-recall-update-infomation

As @SD_MK said it will lock your ECU again requiring a bench unlock and your tune will need updated to the latest firmware. If you attempt to flash with BM3 you could brick your ECU, that is if the dealership doesn’t do that for you.

But this is an important update as some people have had very close calls with the lack of brake assist, don’t risk your safety!

Nomicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Nissan Patrol
https://www.viscontituning.com/pages/toyota-supra-recall-update-infomation

As @SD_MK said it will lock your ECU again requiring a bench unlock and your tune will need updated to the latest firmware. If you attempt to flash with BM3 you could brick your ECU, that is if the dealership doesn’t do that for you.

But this is an important update as some people have had very close calls with the lack of brake assist, don’t risk your safety!
Thanks for the reply, I will be getting the update done, rather not die.

I didn't need a bench unlock originally, literally just plugged the OBD cable in and flashed away. Being in Australia it will be a royal pain in the ass having to ship my ECU to get it unlocked.

The supra is my daily, might have to pick up a run around while waiting.

*EDIT*

I have just read the linked page, thanks I should have done so before replying.

Nem1111

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 supra
Thanks for the reply, I will be getting the update done, rather not die.

I didn't need a bench unlock originally, literally just plugged the OBD cable in and flashed away. Being in Australia it will be a royal pain in the ass having to ship my ECU to get it unlocked.

The supra is my daily, might have to pick up a run around while waiting.

*EDIT*

I have just read the linked page, thanks I should have done so before replying.
I’ve just spoken to Andrew @ Flashtuned in WA and he has confirmed that he can bench unlock ECUs that have been locked by the brake recall update.

??

Nomicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Nissan Patrol
I’ve just spoken to Andrew @ Flashtuned in WA and he has confirmed that he can bench unlock ECUs that have been locked by the brake recall update.

??
Awesome news, I'll get booked in.

Cheers mate

jvmison

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90
Just to weigh in here - I was having some issues with a faulty headlight and brought it to Toyota dealer to troubleshoot the issue. My 2020 A90 was previously unlocked and tuned (Not a locked ECU) but when I brought it in, without informing me, they re-flashed and locked the ECU.

Have to re-send it to get bench unlocked again. I can confirm this is not the same as having a post ECU Locked Supra.

It was annoying and obviously the downtime of sending your ECU back out to get RE-unlocked is inconvenient.

Lesson learned: Never bring your car to a Toyota dealer. Support small and local
Sponsored