Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK3 Supra, MK4 Supra, 650S, BMW 335I, XRunner
Hardtop only this time around.
Very disappointing to hear this. Ive got cash on hand to buy a Supra outright at launch for another weekend car. But this was the last straw.

No manual. 80k for under 400hp. No targa.

Im out.

Another MRS/86 abortion here we come.

:(
Sponsored

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Very disappointing to hear this. Ive got cash on hand to buy a Supra outright at launch for another weekend car. But this was the last straw.

Im out.

Not at first, but a manual could come at a later date. Who said it was going to cost $80k?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase

Im out.

Do you live in Australia? Price will be closer to 50k in the US.

outofstep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you live in Australia? Price will be closer to 50k in the US.
USA

A70s various quotes that he put a smiley on indicated that the 80k performance version was still only around 380hp. I wouldnt even look at a low 300hp "Supra" for 50k.

My personal cost value evaluation could have maybe sorta justified 50k for a 380hp, 6spd, targa top mkv Supra... Mostly blinded by nostalgia. Rumored specs? Lol no.

But jesus. This is nothing like the late 90s where the Supra just dominated everything in sight. If any of these rumored specs are to be believed, there are dozens of sedans and SUVs that will smoke the Supra on the street. Much less the actual GT cars (which the Supra was originally designed to compete against). I cant think of a single current GT car that WONT stomp the rumoured Supra.

This whole "muh handling" is such a farce to paper over these terrible specs. Its already 1000 lbs too heavy to actually be a serious "muh handling" car.

Im legitimately sad/angry. Car should just be the next gen 86, not the Supra.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
USA

A70s various quotes that he put a smiley on indicated that the 80k performance version was still only around 380hp. I wouldnt even look at a low 300hp "Supra" for 50k.

My personal cost value evaluation could have maybe sorta justified 50k for a 380hp, 6spd, targa top mkv Supra... Mostly blinded by nostalgia. Rumored specs? Lol no.

But jesus. This is nothing like the late 90s where the Supra just dominated everything in sight. If any of these rumored specs are to be believed, there are dozens of sedans and SUVs that will smoke the Supra on the street. Much less the actual GT cars (which the Supra was originally designed to compete against). I cant think of a single current GT car that WONT stomp the rumoured Supra.

This whole "muh handling" is such a farce to paper over these terrible specs. Its already 1000 lbs too heavy to actually be a serious "muh handling" car.

I'm pretty sure he said it would be 400hp+.

That's the thing, it won't be low 300s. Everyone at the Toyota private event has said 350hp, and that's probably underrated. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually closer to 380hp on dyno.

If we're going by rumors, Bestcar says 0-60 in 3.8 second. That's quicker than the M3/M4.

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
USA

:doh:

Look at the BMW M2. It starts at $54k US, 365hp, ~3400 lbs, and 0-60 in 4.1.

The Supra should use a similar engine with newer tech and should be 3-400lbs lighter. This could easily be a 380hp car, ~3000 lbs, 0-60 in 4.0, for $50k. It just depends on the final specs and pricing Toyota decides on.

As far as other GT cars that you think would stomp the Supra, you need to look beyond hp numbers. Yes, the Mustang GT is 460 hp starting at $39k, but it weighs ~3800lbs and does 0-60 in 4.4. Around a track, the supra should win because of 'muh handling'.

What will be interesting is to see if its priced closer to the mustang GT type cars that start at $39k or the Mustang GT350 type cars that start at $57k. The specs I'm thinking the supra will have will compete very well against the mustang GT and Camaro SS, but will be lacking against the GT350 and ZL1. The supra will likely compete very well if priced under $50k.

BTW, 3000lbs will be seriously light for a new car nowadays. If you want to see what all this 'muh handling' is all about, go drive a Porsche 911 or Cayman built in the past 10 years and then come back and report how it feels to drive a 300-400hp ~ 2900-3300 lb car through the turns.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Equivalent 718, that is Boxster S with 350 PS from a 4 cylinder, weighs 1.385 kg DIN, more than 100 kg less than Z4, at 1.500 kg DIN. But that is still a heavy pig, barely lighter than the previous Z4 with hardtop. They say the canvas is 60 kg less than the hard top, yet the car is only 50 kg lighter than the previous hardtop Z4. And that, when even the 718 is a heavy pig. Any car with 2 seats that weighs more than 1.300 kg is a heavy pig.

I do not see how the Supra can lose 200-300 kg. At 1.500 kg it sure needs +400 PS.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
it has been all but confirmed at 1385kg. lots of carbon and composites. impressive for a vehicle with today's level of safety mandates, an auto transmission and an iron block.

outofstep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
:doh:

BTW, 3000lbs will be seriously light for a new car nowadays. If you want to see what all this 'muh handling' is all about, go drive a Porsche 911 or Cayman built in the past 10 years and then come back and report how it feels to drive a 300-400hp ~ 2900-3300 lb car through the turns.
Well... Seeing as one of my weekend "muh handling" cars does weigh ~2900lbs and has over 600hp, I've got that covered already. Thanks for your two cents though.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://www.caradvice.com.au/686645/toyota-supra-convertible/

TOYOTA SUPRA COULD BECOME A CONVERTIBLE

Despite sharing a platform with the all-new BMW Z4 convertible, Toyota made no mention of a drop-top Supra, but that could all change with future model updates.

Speaking to media at the global drive of the all-new 2019 Toyota Supra, assistant chief engineer, Masayuki Kai, told media that they haven't ruled out introducing a convertible version of the Supra down the line.

"As for now, yes. But, if BMW wants to make a coupe, it's their own decision. There is no restriction – for example, if we want, we can also make a open roof Supra. But, this is currently not being investigated. Never say never, everything is possible," said Kai.

The beauty of the collaboration between BMW and Toyota is that both models exist in different markets and different segments. If BMW was to go down the path of a hard top Z4 or if Toyota developed a convertible Supra, pricing, specifications and driving characteristics would mean both vehicles wouldn't rob sales from each other.

And, while the convertible sports car market is barely booming, it would feel like a missed opportunity if Toyota didn't pull the trigger on a fast, sporting open-top sports car.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
That runs contrary to everything that's been said behind closed doors, whether Tada himself etc.

Gotta love the open ended answers...

Last edited:

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe not a full convertible, but going towards doing another Targa like the MKIV?

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe not a full convertible, but going towards doing another Targa like the MKIV?
They make a covertible.. it’s called Z4.
Sponsored

Last edited: