Not open for further replies.

Sammy82

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'99 Subaru sti
If it is "not a cheap" car and it is below the anticipated powerband (330 + 37overboost what ever the fuck that is), Im out.
Toyota will be stupid enough to position itself in a high price bracket offering low power. Have you seen what other manufacturer's are offering?
Put in a compare and contrast table and find it yourself.
FFS. Mustang, Camero, Challenger, 370z, and q60 will be cheaper with incentives and produce more power.
Fuck outta here.
Lol. Gangsta!
Sponsored

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
This is Toyota Europe. Of course its going to cost more over there. For example:

US 86: $26,255 USD
UK 86: £26,885 ($38,429 USD)

US Corolla iM: $18,850
UK Auris: £20,160 ($28,820 USD)

US Rav4: $24,510
UK Rav4: £27,495 ($39,306 USD)

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Lovely, another Jalopnik article that looks for scraps for clicks and say absolutely nothing.

All we know is that it won't be cheap, but no sign of price range. Amazing journalism, 10/10
Jalopnik is full of it. They're still claiming that their POS rendering was close to the real thing. :lol:

If you’ll recall, we were provided a render of the Supra back in October 2016. It looked like this:

2019_2020 Toyota Supra Rendering.jpeg

The racing concept doesn’t look that far off!
https://jalopnik.com/the-toyota-gr-supra-racing-concept-finally-brings-back-1823530852

Mr.Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
soup
How old is this since the released the race car already yet no new info was given.

So tired of all the clip bait Toyota you killing me just a bit of info would be nice. Felt like the ft86 community had more in the early beginnings than now

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
did people actually expect it to be cheaper than supras in the past?
Do people expect the supra to be better than the past? Well, yeah..
Their partnership with BMW is suppose to "cut cost." If they are building the supra on cheap (similar to the Ft86/BRZ) and charging $$$, who is profiting more? The customer who bought the Supra right? HAHAHA Delusional. Their partnership is to bring technological advances and bring the cost to operate down. The fact that they have publicly stated it and now say "not cheap" is basically saying fuck you to their enthusiasts because these enthusiasts are only a minority of supra purchases.

People buy because of 1. Looks 2. Power. 3. Status

Toyota has been a big disappointment the past few years.
TNGA. 4Runner is vastly outdated. cant even get remote start. No Toyota Safety Sense. Low crash safety scores. MPG suck

TNGA. Tundra - heavy beast with sub par power. No HD. Eats gas like a pig. Have not been in a complete refresh for over a decade.How is it that trucks (Chevy, Ford, Ram) who tow more, weigh heavier, get better HP and more MPG?

TNGA +2016 Tacoma is the biggest disappoint of all. Rear Drum breaks? WHAT?! The 3.5L V6 2.GR is a carry over that they made anemic. If you head over to the Tacomaworld forums, you will notice a lot (and I mean a LOT) of owners complaining about the 6 speed transmission. Erratic and problematic that have made people look forward to the Jeep JT or Ford Ranger. TSB1 .0, TSB 2.0 . It is such a problem that members stepped up to program their own tuning module. Oh yeah, turn on the AC a lot? AC blower will actually fracture in pieces. Oh, i forgot. HOW ABOUT the rear differential leak? Forgot to fill it? Catastrophic failure. Did I say Drum brakes? FFS Drum brakes in 2016! Leaky sun roof. Drive line vibration where your truck is an actual vibrator on highways. Battery Degradation before 50,000 miles. Central position Sensor malfunction. lol and lastly, added a factory Dust cleaner. Dont call it a snorkel because if you ford water in your truck, toyota is not responsible if you cross a river.
hahah. Not to many recalls right? Holy smokes batman, i forgot about Tacoma's a multimillion (or billion) lawsuit for their rusty frames.

Toyota is their own victim of their success.

I hope this supra comes with that BMW power plant. it'll come with coolant issues. Failing Oil pump, VANOS issues, crankshaft ventilation failures. Lol and the timing chain. Also, toyota, please put drum brakes on this new supra.

In the end, will I buy a supra? Yes. Lowest trim possible. 2JZ swap with single large Garrett turbo running methanol.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Galaxy 500
the MKIV Supra inflation price sums up close to 80k or so today.
I've seen this figure quoted constantly and it's not accurate. The Supra debuted at $33,900 and $39,900. Adjusted for inflation that would be $57,600 and $67,800 today. The price did go up in succeeding years due to the strong yen/weak dollar, leading to plummeting sales. So in 1997 there were huge price cuts. The 1996 prices were $38,600 and $50,400. The 1997 prices were $29,500 and $39,900!!!!! Adjusted for inflation the 1997 Supra was "only" $45,000 and $61,000 in today's dollars. And it still sold poorly. I expect the non-turbo inline 6 to have an MSRP of $45,000 up to possibly $49,000. Anything higher will doom the car. Add $10,000 tops for the turbo. You and I may love the Supra, but the new Supra will not have the performance of the Corvette or the prestige of the Cayman. So it can't be priced higher than what I predict or it won't sell.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
I've seen this figure quoted constantly and it's not accurate. The Supra debuted at $33,900 and $39,900. Adjusted for inflation that would be $57,600 and $67,800 today. The price did go up in succeeding years due to the strong yen/weak dollar, leading to plummeting sales. So in 1997 there were huge price cuts. The 1996 prices were $38,600 and $50,400. The 1997 prices were $29,500 and $39,900!!!!! Adjusted for inflation the 1997 Supra was "only" $45,000 and $61,000 in today's dollars. And it still sold poorly. I expect the non-turbo inline 6 to have an MSRP of $45,000 up to possibly $49,000. Anything higher will doom the car. Add $10,000 tops for the turbo. You and I may love the Supra, but the new Supra will not have the performance of the Corvette or the prestige of the Cayman. So it can't be priced higher than what I predict or it won't sell.
FNF caused the price increase,i think

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
BMW M2 $54,000
BMW M3 $66,500
BMW M4 $68,700
Porsche Cayman $55,000
Porsche Boxter $57,000
Porsche 718 GTS $79,000

Ford Shelby Mustang $57,240
Chevy Camaro 1SS $37,000-$42,000
Chevy Camaro ZL1 $61,500
Chevy Corvette Stingray $55,495
Chevy Corvette GS $65,494
Dodge Challenger SRT $50,495
Dodge Challenger Hellcat $65,495
Nissan 370z Nismo $45,690
Mercedes C63 AMG $66,100
Audi RS5 $69,000

All of these vehicles are within range of the supra and offer much more. As consumers, you are suppose to demand more from a renovated product. Not some trash bin put together product. Let your voices be heard if you actually want change. Just like the manual transmission petition you guys have done.
This supra will follow the same path as the Mark4 when consumers are aware of what the competition offers. The ones highlighted in red are the vehicles that supra has beat in HP. Look at the competition.

FFS Toyota, do something.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
+1 on the premise of this thread being too vague to tell us anything at all.

I would absolutely love for this car to be some sort of a Corvette priced, Corvette performer. It's a great performance value proposition. Really I'd love to buy a Corvette that's made by someone other than GM and not some sort of top trim Mustang.

But just because something is expensive does not mean it will be a performer. Toyota's own benchmarks that we've seen have fallen from a Porsche 911 GT3 to a Porsche Cayman. All of the recent signs point to a car that's probably Corvette grand-sport priced, but base Cayman performance, along with a build that's decidedly non-luxury.

But who knows, time will tell. We've got a lot of it between now and ~1st half of 2019.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Gross HP is not the best comparison metric, it's misleading as it doesn't take vehicle weight into account. If the Supra does come in at ~2900lbs and 350hp, it's relative weight/power ratio will be respectable. And being several hundred pounds lighter than most of its competitors will give it a big handling advantage. Nothing beats adding lightness for upping the fun to drive factor.

And even if the base price is $50k (I still think $45k is more likely), it's still going to be cheaper than nearly all the cars listed in Bloodjohn's post above.

Last edited:

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
FNF caused the price increase,i think
Wrong decade dude. FNF came out 2001. Technically the car was still in production in Japan, but long gone from our shores by that point. Though used prices swelled back up to the original MSRP after the film (and again now too lol).

And speaking of, all this theorizing comparing to other vehicles is a waste of time people. Its a real simple question a 3 second google just answered for me...

"The 2017 BMW Z4 ranges from about $49,525 for the base sDrive28i trim to$65,300 for the top sDrive35is model."

Done. You can count on that the new Z4 will be inline with the last for price, and we're all dreaming if we think the Toyota version is going to be way cheaper. Maybe a little if they offer a base with less options and a lower quality interior, but I'm guessing they will be pretty much on par. Which is fine, starting point of $49k is alright. That's competitive with an optioned up 370z.

Also per a comment above, there won't be a non turbo. The base engine on 3 series today is a turbo 4, the NA engines are gone. We'll probably just see a range of power option b58s, and if we're lucky, the top of the line will have the s58.

Last edited:
Reactions: HKz

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
BMW M2 $54,000
BMW M3 $66,500
BMW M4 $68,700
Porsche Cayman $55,000
Porsche Boxter $57,000
Porsche 718 GTS $79,000

Ford Shelby Mustang $57,240
Chevy Camaro 1SS $37,000-$42,000
Chevy Camaro ZL1 $61,500
Chevy Corvette Stingray $55,495
Chevy Corvette GS $65,494
Dodge Challenger SRT $50,495
Dodge Challenger Hellcat $65,495
Nissan 370z Nismo $45,690
Mercedes C63 AMG $66,100
Audi RS5 $69,000

All of these vehicles are within range of the supra and offer much more. As consumers, you are suppose to demand more from a renovated product. Not some trash bin put together product. Let your voices be heard if you actually want change. Just like the manual transmission petition you guys have done.
This supra will follow the same path as the Mark4 when consumers are aware of what the competition offers. The ones highlighted in red are the vehicles that supra has beat in HP. Look at the competition.
Supra is lighter than every single one of them lol

Status
Not open for further replies.