Not open for further replies.

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-toyota-supra-wont-be-a-cheap-car-1825317746

The Toyota Supra is back! And beyond that, we know... almost nothing of substance. We know it was co-developed with BMW and shares a platform and powertrain with the new Z4, that a racing version will also happen, it won’t have a manual gearbox, and it won’t hit showrooms until 2019. And while we also don’t know price, we have one extra clue today: “not cheap.”
This tidbit comes to us from the Netherlands’ AutoRAI, in an interview with Gerald Killmann, a European VP of R&D at Toyota. While, by Killmann’s own admission, most of the work on the new Supra was done in Japan, he does have a few new bits of information for Supra obsessives. And it includes the fact that the Supra will have a real valley between it and the smaller Toyota 86.

From the story, via Google Translate:

You are also involved in the Toyota Supra. Can you tell us something about this?

“This car was mainly developed in Japan. The European R & D center is not much involved. There will be a race version and if we have shown the production version, we can tell more. “

Clearly, but in what ways do the Toyota Supra and BMW Z4 differ from each other?

“The platform is the same. The same applies to the powertrain. The styling is of course completely different and also the adjustment of the chassis will be very different. The powertrain is not a hybrid, but a petrol engine. It will not be a cheap car. There will be a clear difference between the GT86 and Supra. The GT86 remains the affordable sports car, the Supra becomes the performance model. Whether the production will be limited, we are not going now. “

A few useful things from this: the chassis tuning will be different between this and the Z4, although I’m eager to see how that translates into real-world feel and performance. There’s no hybrid version, which was a rumor discounted early on. And it also confirms the 86 will be sticking around at least a bit longer. (An eventual replacement for the 86 has been basically confirmed by Toyota, though we lack details at the moment, and Subaru’s involvement seems up in the air.)

I don’t think it should surprise anyone that the new Supra “won’t be cheap,” although that to me could mean anything from $50,000 or more to six figures like the Nissan GT-R. It never was a cheap car. Always Toyota’s luxury performance cruiser, the turbo one from the 1990s sold for about $80,000 if you allow for inflation.

We’re still taking bets on what the new one will cost.
https://www.motor1.com/news/239400/toyota-supra-mainly-developed-japan/

BMW power announced, while a hybrid powertrain has been ruled out.
Little by little, the pieces of the 2019 Supra puzzle are falling into place. The latest Toyotarepresentative to talk about the much-awaited revival of the sports car is the Vice President of Research & Development, Gerald Killmann. In an extended interview with AutoRAI covering several topics, he revealed some interesting details about the fifth-generation Supra.

We get to learn the coupe has been mostly developed at home in Japan, with only a minor input coming from Toyota’s European R&D team. Killmann went on to mention there will be a race car version of the new Supra, which isn’t all that surprising considering the Gazoo Racing-branded concept unveiled last month at the Geneva Motor Show.

He reiterated the new sports car will share the same platform with the BMW Z4, but with a different design inside and out. The interview got more interesting when Killmann revealed the Supra will be powered by a BMW-sourced engine, without going into details. He did say the rumored hybrid powertrain believed to be reserved for a range-topping version is not on the agenda.

As far as pricing is concerned, Toyota’s representative told AutoRAI the Supra is not going to be a cheap car, adding there will be a clear difference between it and the more attainable 86. The latter, which kicks off at $26,255 in the United States, will remain the company’s affordable sports car. The Supra will be a true performance model that will be offered at a higher price tag to match its higher position in the hierarchy.

As a refresher, Toyota has already announced the new Supra will eschew a manual gearbox for a dual-clutch automatic, and will come with a perfect 50:50 weight distribution. The BMW engine is believed to be a biturbo inline-six with as much as 450 horsepower, but it’s only gossip at this point.

Expect to see the reborn Supra this fall, presumably at the Paris Motor Show in October. Production will allegedly take place in Graz, Austria where Magna Steyr will build the coupe alongside the BMW Z4 soft-top roadster.
Sponsored

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-toyota-supra-wont-be-a-cheap-car-1825317746

The Toyota Supra is back! And beyond that, we know... almost nothing of substance. We know it was co-developed with BMW and shares a platform and powertrain with the new Z4, that a racing version will also happen, it won’t have a manual gearbox, and it won’t hit showrooms until 2019. And while we also don’t know price, we have one extra clue today: “not cheap.”
This tidbit comes to us from the Netherlands’ AutoRAI, in an interview with Gerald Killmann, a European VP of R&D at Toyota. While, by Killmann’s own admission, most of the work on the new Supra was done in Japan, he does have a few new bits of information for Supra obsessives. And it includes the fact that the Supra will have a real valley between it and the smaller Toyota 86.

From the story, via Google Translate:

You are also involved in the Toyota Supra. Can you tell us something about this?

“This car was mainly developed in Japan. The European R & D center is not much involved. There will be a race version and if we have shown the production version, we can tell more. “

Clearly, but in what ways do the Toyota Supra and BMW Z4 differ from each other?

“The platform is the same. The same applies to the powertrain. The styling is of course completely different and also the adjustment of the chassis will be very different. The powertrain is not a hybrid, but a petrol engine. It will not be a cheap car. There will be a clear difference between the GT86 and Supra. The GT86 remains the affordable sports car, the Supra becomes the performance model. Whether the production will be limited, we are not going now. “
A few useful things from this: the chassis tuning will be different between this and the Z4, although I’m eager to see how that translates into real-world feel and performance. There’s no hybrid version, which was a rumor discounted early on. And it also confirms the 86 will be sticking around at least a bit longer. (An eventual replacement for the 86 has been basically confirmed by Toyota, though we lack details at the moment, and Subaru’s involvement seems up in the air.)

I don’t think it should surprise anyone that the new Supra “won’t be cheap,” although that to me could mean anything from $50,000 or more to six figures like the Nissan GT-R. It never was a cheap car. Always Toyota’s luxury performance cruiser, the turbo one from the 1990s sold for about $80,000 if you allow for inflation.

We’re still taking bets on what the new one will cost.

Really doubt 6 figures. I'm assuming 50k is the number. The gap between the 86 and 50k is pretty significant.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Really doubt 6 figures. I'm assuming 50k is the number. The gap between the 86 and 50k is pretty significant.
Lovely, another Jalopnik article that looks for scraps for clicks and say absolutely nothing.

All we know is that it won't be cheap, but no sign of price range. Amazing journalism, 10/10

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Lovely, another Jalopnik article that looks for scraps for clicks and say absolutely nothing.

All we know is that it won't be cheap, but no sign of price range. Amazing journalism, 10/10
Lol true. People are hungry for information. It's going to be a long year.

Some of the comments mentioned how, adjusting for inflation, the Supra was never cheap. However, although that's true, the competition was much different back then as well. Nowadays you have all sorts of high powered cars with higher numbers around the 50k range. Just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for this car to skate around 6 figures.

OP
OP
BrettS

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
Ya I don’t like posting jalopnik articles cause they’re usually a bunch of bs but i figured new “info” might be hard to come by until Toyota reveals it.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lol true. People are hungry for information. It's going to be a long year.

Some of the comments mentioned how, adjusting for inflation, the Supra was never cheap. However, although that's true, the competition was much different back then as well. Nowadays you have all sorts of high powered cars with higher numbers around the 50k range. Just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for this car to skate around 6 figures.
Exactly.

Though, if a turbo model comes at 80k, I just hope it kills everything in sight.

I mean, an article said this will be the last new model to have a petrol engine as toyota will go electronic 2025 and onward.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few issues I noted besides what's already been said about the competition out there for the money: 1) the MKIV Supra inflation price sums up close to 80k or so today. However, let's not forget that was a big reason why the car didn't sell and then caused the car to go out of production.

2) The MKIV Supra was developed by Toyota only (besides the getrag/Yamaha involvement). Hence the price tag at that time besides the currency exchange inflation issue.

3) The MKV is co-developed with BMW. Which enthusiast interested in this car now know. Isn't the purpose of this to allow the car to be sold at a more affordable price to not repeat mistakes from the past? Or did Toyota do this to make some decent profit to pass this car as a Supra they developed all on their own?

I'm still holding out on seeing Corvette like prices and possibly similar specs. Rumors say otherwise :dunno:. IDK maybe we are getting a 3JZ with 450+HP to justify close to GTR price figures but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few issues I noted besides what's already been said about the competition out there for the money: 1) the MKIV Supra inflation price sums up close to 80k or so today. However, let's not forget that was a big reason why the car didn't sell and then caused the car to go out of production.

2) The MKIV Supra was developed by Toyota only (besides the getrag/Yamaha involvement). Hence the price tag at that time besides the currency exchange inflation issue.

3) The MKV is co-developed with BMW. Which enthusiast interested in this car now know. Isn't the purpose of this to allow the car to be sold at a more affordable price to not repeat mistakes from the past? Or did Toyota do this to make some decent profit to pass this car as a Supra they developed all on their own?

I'm still holding out on seeing Corvette like prices and possible similar specs. Rumors say otherwise :dunno: . IDK maybe we are getting a 3JZ with 450HP+ to justify close to GTR price figures but I doubt it.
IMO,

There's a difference from 26k to 46k, that's a huge jump. If we use that as a basis, then yes. That's a good comparison.

We also have to factor in BMW involvement that might make them dish out high HP numbers BECAUSE the cost was cut down on development.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
If it is "not a cheap" car and it is below the anticipated powerband (330 + 37overboost what ever the fuck that is), Im out.
Toyota will be stupid enough to position itself in a high price bracket offering low power. Have you seen what other manufacturer's are offering?
Put in a compare and contrast table and find it yourself.
FFS. Mustang, Camero, Challenger, 370z, and q60 will be cheaper with incentives and produce more power.
Fuck outta here.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
did people actually expect it to be cheaper than supras in the past?
if we factor inflation then in many ways, yes I think a lot of us expected a more competitive price otherwise what was the point of using shared (and existing) powertrains, platform and chassis? to give Toyota a bigger profit margin from the project? It would be a big slap in the face to miss out on a stick AND to find out that it is more expensive than a base C7.

Plus, sadly it contradicts what we heard when the project between BMW & Toyota had just started when a Toyota exec said since this would be a Toyota it should be affordable..

For Alex Shen, studio chief designer at Toyota‘s Calty Design Research in Newport Beach, California, the words describing the sports car’s styling concept came first — words like “sexy,” “honest,” “organic,” “kick-ass.” Followed by proportions — front/mid-engine, rear drive, just the right scale. And a wild guess at price — maybe $60,000? “It’s a Toyota,” says Shen. “It ought to be affordable.” Only then did lines start to appear.
...this was long before we found out the FT1/Supra was going to be a 2 seater with a BMW heart. If the top Supra variant comes in around $60 K that would be reasonable otherwise if it is more expensive than a Corvette or M4 (or M2 Competition) and doesn't offer a stick then I guess it isn't for me.

Last edited:

Hoss57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2000 Z28 A4 cammed & stalled full bolt-ons. 1999 Formula M6 stock
Wow that is disappointing! I could see this car having a power / weight ratio to rival the C7 with a price to match if not less. I thought maybe a more premium car than the 370Z but with all the goodies BMW is bringing to the table I am hopeful for a competitive price.

The interviews with Tada-san leads me to believe it is benchmarking the Cayman S in handling but beating it in power. This is supposed to be a driver's car with a rigid chassis, well tuned suspension, and linear power delivery. Not an active areo, magnetic ride, electric limited slip diff, numbers car. Not quite an exotic, but certainly a cut above the pony cars.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.