Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

MrBenoJacko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86
The hotter Supra likely wouldn't have a manual gearbox among its upgrades. Tada indicates that this is a matter of investment priorities. The company can create a more powerful coupe or engineer a three-pedal setup but not both at once.

They lost me once again with this. WTF Toyota...
I'd rather have a manual over more power any day of the week!!
Sponsored

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
I'd rather have a manual over more power any day of the week!!
It's a matter of "investment prioities". BS! This is Toyota and not some small company and def not almost-bankrupt-Nissan.

I don't see why they couldn't make both happen.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
It's a matter of "investment prioities". BS! This is Toyota and not some small company and def not almost-bankrupt-Nissan.

I don't see why they couldn't make both happen.
It is because they donā€™t want make the business decisions of an almost bankrupt company. You are right that they can afford it. With that being said, you make that argument down enough niche product lines and chose wrongly, things wonā€™t look so good to shareholders.

Like it or not, Toyota is not the same company it was 30 years ago. They have different goals now and their R&D budget is spent accordingly.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It is because they donā€™t want make the business decisions of an almost bankrupt company. You are right that they can afford it. With that being said, you make that argument down enough niche product lines and chose wrongly, things wonā€™t look so good to shareholders.

Like it or not, Toyota is not the same company it was 30 years ago. They have different goals now and their R&D budget is spent accordingly.
You hit the nail on the head, they are definitely not the same company it was 30 yrs ago. So Tada-san stating that they plan to offer a new iteration every year for the Supra but they can't offer a manual GT4?

YungMercureal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra - Nitro Yellow
Sales data from https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019-u-s-auto-sales-figures-by-brand/

Unfortunately Toyota is probably content with not developing their own sports cars from the ground up anymore. Nissan is doing halfway decent but the 370z is hilariously outdated, and the R-35 gets more expensive each year and really just needs to be refreshed into the R-36. That being said, they do appear to be keeping close to Honda in total sales, but sales doesn't mean you can't go bankrupt.

I'll believe the GRMN and other "yearly updates" as I see them

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
You hit the nail on the head, they are definitely not the same company it was 30 yrs ago. So Tada-san stating that they plan to offer a new iteration every year for the Supra but they can't offer a manual GT4?
The key I took for the statement was ā€œnot all at once.ā€ The D variant of the engine, 4-cyl manual, 6-cyl manual, etc. will be trickled out.

We all know Toyota corporate doesnā€™t feel they need (want?) this car. This isnā€™t a Mustang or Camaro where they can cover cost on cranking out a ton of low end models while imparting a false sense of superiority on the bottom in product with halo packages. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if part of the deal that got this made internally to move forward was that the Supra has to support itself.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
^ read the last paragraph in the quoted text above your post :)

(also, as an aside. IMO, the new Z will likely be a reskinned body riding on the same chassis with small upgrades and the VR30 w/ current 6MT and 7AT options. so it might make 400hp, but it still won't be anywhere near the Supra as far as performance. Plus, the Supra already makes around 380chp which is often forgotten due to odd way BMW chooses to rate output. If/when it goes to an advertised 380, 400, 430chp, those will all be close to whp.)

I completely get that, and always assumed as much. That being said, I'd expect a *GRMN* car to be extremely special (Body in white shipped to Motomachi and finessed at the production line there), and spec'd and priced accordingly. A street GT4 version would be a nice in between though (and not extremely limited, as it seems GRMN cars look slated to be)

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
the Supra GRMN would allegedly lose weight by incorporating carbon fiber components.
I swear, Toyota...if you do what I think you're gonna do, I will laugh so hard

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
@A70TTR is this the ā€˜fasterā€™ Supra you were talking about years ago?
Sure is.

I completely get that, and always assumed as much. That being said, I'd expect a *GRMN* car to be extremely special (Body in white shipped to Motomachi and finessed at the production line there), and spec'd and priced accordingly. A street GT4 version would be a nice in between though (and not extremely limited, as it seems GRMN cars look slated to be)
If they follow through with the original plan, the car will be pretty intense as far as how its built and what goes into it.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The key I took for the statement was ā€œnot all at once.ā€ The D variant of the engine, 4-cyl manual, 6-cyl manual, etc. will be trickled out.

We all know Toyota corporate doesnā€™t feel they need (want?) this car. This isnā€™t a Mustang or Camaro where they can cover cost on cranking out a ton of low end models while imparting a false sense of superiority on the bottom in product with halo packages. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if part of the deal that got this made internally to move forward was that the Supra has to support itself.
Where are you getting 6-cyl manual from? Of course not all at once but annual updates and re-tooling cost money. I don't get how they can't make a GT4 in both transmission options. Magna owns Getrag.

MrBenoJacko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86
Sure is.

If they follow through with the original plan, the car will be pretty intense as far as how its built and what goes into it.
@A70TTR Certainly sounds like it'll be special but are you aware of any news about a manual transmission Supra coming to the market from Toyota? Or should the people that want a MT sports car cut their losses and go for the new GR86 when its released?

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Where are you getting 6-cyl manual from? Of course not all at once but annual updates and re-tooling cost money. I don't get how they can't make a GT4 in both transmission options. Magna owns Getrag.
It was more as an example. They are going to chip away at improvements / options than lay it all on the table in one go.

I donā€™t disagree that retooling cost money. It is always easier to get a company to spend X over 5 years than 3X in one year even though it cost more long term. I deal with this mindset all the time with my job. Toyota has other options for the rest of the that money, so that expense loses out when measured by the opportunity cost. Not saying I agree with it, but it is incredibly common.
Sponsored