Toyota Presents World Debut of the New 2022 GR 86

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Enthusiast Claims Toyota Denied Warranty On A Stock GR 86 After Engine Blows Up On Track

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/05/e...y-on-a-stock-gr-86-after-it-blew-up-on-track/

That's some granny level tracking. Denied 🤣

Seriously though, that was my daily driving style with '13 FRS.
Either it was a lemon or there's more to it. Though it doesn't sound or "feel" as if there was any mods. Unless he's a super sneaky guy, messed up the engine then went to track with mods removed to claim warranty but that'd be insane.. GL
Curious as to what Toyota Corp will say..
Sponsored

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
That's some granny level tracking. Denied 🤣

Seriously though, that was my daily driving style with '13 FRS.
Either it was a lemon or there's more to it. Though it doesn't sound or "feel" as if there was any mods. Unless he's a super sneaky guy, messed up the engine then went to track with mods removed to claim warranty but that'd be insane.. GL
Curious as to what Toyota Corp will say..
i would hope it was broken in

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
^^ The owner reportedly had already put about 19,000 miles on the car prior to this happening. Anything is possible but I'd guess that if no proper break in were performed he might have issues with it before this.

New 5W-30 engine oil (allowed according to the FSM) and filter were put in just before the track event. Hopefully that was done correctly.

https://www.motor1.com/news/668858/2022-toyota-gr86-engine-blown-no-warranty/

My suspicion is either on something else that happened prior to the fateful track day OR the already well documented excessive RTV issue at the oil pan.

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also we still don't know for sure how this owner handled the first 1,000 mile break in (it has been suggested that he didn't do much more than drive it hard right away but that can't be confirmed). Also how he drove it for that first 19,000 miles.

When I look at the track video where the failure happened I'm rather floored at how tame that warm up / orientation lap was. I've driven my cars harder on mountain roads in California than he drove for the entire video and I never considered that anywhere near on the same level as flat out actual racing on a track.

The 5W-30 synthetic oil that he changed to, unless done improperly somehow, is condoned in all the factory owner's manuals for the GR86 and BRZ and is pretty much recommended with those engines if you plan to drive spiritedly.

Either 5W-30 or 5W-20 synthetic.

The D4-S equipped FA24D engines have oil coolers on the blocks but not an external type with a thermostatic sandwich plate which is also recommended before taking those cars out to race tracks.

Also it has been suggested that the oiling system design can under certain track conditions (sustained right handers after heavy breaking) can potentially cause a temporary oil starvation condition.

And yet a lot of people treat their GR86/BRZ's well, use the right oil for track and/or run oil coolers and do not have these issues.

I guess what concerns me most is how he really wasn't pushing the car hard at all in the video before a rod is thrown... but that just brings me back to:

1) How did the owner treat the engine during the first 1,000 miles of break-in?

2) How did the owner treat the engine during the 19,000 miles accrued before there was a bearing and rod failure?

3) The factory "recommended 0W-20 oil can supposedly potentially thin out and wear out faster than a 5W oil if the engine is run hot enough and that could certainly affect bearing health over time. Even for street use most people seem to recommend switching directly to a 5W-20 or 5W-30 synthetic oil after the break in as it just makes more sense for the kind of car that this is.

So I wonder if this failure was actually the result of accumulated wear and tear on the bearings from very overly hard driving for those 19k miles.

As far as track driving goes Toyota certainly has sent mixed messages as to what is and is not covered under warranty in the U.S. Right out of the box these cars seem to needed better oil and external oil coolers to run safely on the track. And the requisite tires and brake pad upgrades.

Track driving carries with it inherent risks. Capable as they may be these are still $32k-$36k USD cars and not $100k+ Porsche 911's. Great cars but among other things the Porsche flat engines have dry sump oiling systems from the factory. Subaru flat engines do not at their price points.

Still... a lot of people drive these GR86's and BRZ's on the street every day under normal stresses and their engines are on average doing fine.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ The best part: The Performance Package for the 2024 GR86 will be possible to order after the fact and retrofit at your dealer into any 2022 or 2023 GR86 with the 18" Premium wheels.

Apart from a real external oil cooler from the factory (which it still doesn't get) this is what was missing at launch: The earlier 4-piston front and 2-piston rear Brembo brake package and Sachs damper options from the 2017-2020 BRZ Performance Pack model.

Hopefully pricing for the kit won't be insane.