Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 Ascent Touring
I’m hoping this is sarcasm
bro, I am working on a business, stay at home dadding a toddler, helping to move humans safely out of countries trying to kill them, etc...

I can't keep up on all the news, im busy 😂😭

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 Ascent Touring
Most likely a stout 8-speed automatic as the second transmission option in a year or two since that's already deep into development for the G16E engine.
an auto trans comparable to the supra would make the GR Corolla absolutely unfair to anything on the market.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
an auto trans comparable to the supra would make the GR Corolla absolutely unfair to anything on the market.
I think the issue there is that ZF is not a usual supplier for Toyota or most other Japanese automakers, especially with automatics. ZF is a transmission supplier for their current Supra because so much of its architecture is not and was not intended to use much of Toyota's usual parts suppliers for its construction.

Their ZF8 8HP trans is excellent, yes. But it's also incompatible as a longitudinal transmission while the G16E engine is transverse and intended for AWD applications.

The 8-speed auto they're developing (with Aisin I believe) is intended to be more than capable of high performance driving use alongside the 6-speed manual transmission option. Reading between the lines I think this suggests they want to have more G16E engine equipped vehicles appeal to a broader range of potential buyers not just in the GR Yaris and GR Corolla.

My speculation only but... perhaps they want to also sell a new Caldina 4WD turbo wagon (which was only ever automatic) or even an MR2 with two transmission options? Hard to say at this time but if you were to imagine more vehicles and variants using the G16E turbo engine it's not hard to think of these possibilities in order to justify the high cost of such R&D for a new automatic transmission.

As long as the 6-speed manual and dual Torsen LSD and upgraded brakes option package remain available I'm happy that they're finding more ways to get this little gem of an engine and AWD system out there into more cars for as long as they can.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Not sacrilege, just preference. I'm the same (but inverse). The power and handling of the MKV make it too far into "go directly to jail" territory to drive at the limit on streets - but a compact with less power and a manual can feel more "full blast" at well under 100 mph. Plus, if I'm gonna be stuck in traffic anyway... I'd rather be sitting in a BMW interior than a Toyota interior. ;)
I will say, the interior of the Corolla is genuinely nice. Great materials and great style throughout.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Now the long wait for allocations. I'm #1 at my dealership for a Circuit Edition. Paperwork signed, deposit paid, just waiting for a VIN.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios

Screenshot_20220915-105531_YouTube.jpg

I like how they have removed the Nissan Z's lap time from their leaderboard, maybe too embarrassing for Nissan🤣? Don't even compare Toyota to Nissan anymore, Toyota is on a way higher level than Nissan will ever be.

Romin91

First Name
Romin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91-MT, 13 Sonata SE 2.4
would've been cool if they made it 2 door, that way the Morizo edition wouldn't be goofy with 4 doors and no back seats lol

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
would've been cool if they made it 2 door, that way the Morizo edition wouldn't be goofy with 4 doors and no back seats lol
It’s designed to hold 4 tires and wheels for track days. They would’ve either had to shrink the car which would’ve left no room or extremely long doors

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Says unavailable here...

1665957312537.png

Man I hope it's rear wheel drive!!!!!
Sponsored

Last edited: