The All-New GR Corolla World Premiere April 1, 2022

DDantas

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 bmw 328d

Not one to typically watch Doug, but I noticed he was standing in front of an A91-MT during his Cars & Bids plug. I'm guessing he might be the first to make a video about it.
good catch!

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Not one to typically watch Doug, but I noticed he was standing in front of an A91-MT during his Cars & Bids plug. I'm guessing he might be the first to make a video about it.
Thanks for the heads up! It's a particularly cheeky hint, I think. One moment we're looking at a GR Corolla Circuit and the next moment we cut to him next to a GR Supra for a moment as his monologue continues. Well played 😄

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Just needs a new MR2 which will obviously be called the GR2.

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Tungsten
This is very cool! Nobuteru Taniguchi, Masahiro Sasaki, and Keiichi Tsuchiya all drive Toyota's experimental hydrogen internal combustion GR Corolla racecar.

English subtitles are provided in the video.

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/tsuchiya-races-corolla-tsukuba/

Thanks for sharing, this is awesome. Been watching them for decades. I still remember waiting 2-3 hours to download a 2 minute clip of the Civic Type R vs Integra Type R videos with a 56K modem when I was a kid lol

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Roughly $37k for the Core Edition plus the $1,080 must-have "Performance Package" (front and rear Torsen LSDs and better multi-piston brakes front an rear) and also $500 for a "Winter" package with heated seats and steering wheel is not too bad at all.

And $44k for the Circuit Edition is better than I expected.

Before markups anyway the GR Corolla is looking very competitive.

https://jalopnik.com/2023-toyota-gr-corolla-base-price-37-000-options-specs-1849498519

It’s been about five months since Toyota officially announced the existence of the GR Corolla, and what’s felt like an eternity since the automaker first let on that the hot hatch was in development. To say that the 300-horsepower, all-wheel-drive rally-bred road car has been a long time coming would be an understatement. Up until now, one of the only remaining questions was price. Fortunately, we can wonder no more: the GR Corolla will start at $36,995, including $1,095 for destination.

For that money, you’re getting the Core Edition, the first version to arrive this fall. Next year, the Circuit and ultra-limited Morizo Editions will become available, priced at $43,995 and $50,995, respectively. Both special editions add Torsen limited-slip differentials on both axles and improved brakes: four-piston aluminum calipers with slotted and ventilated rotors at the front, and two-piston calipers with ventilated rotors out back. The seats are upholstered in suede as well, with tasteful red accents.

If you count yourself among the lucky 200 Morizo buyers out there, it’s more about what you don’t get: a back seat. In its place you’ll find two braces that run the interior’s width. Torque is punched up slightly to 295 lb-ft, an increase overthe 273 lb-ft you get in the Core and Circuit grades. Morizo owners also get forged wheels, gripper Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires and shorter ratios in the six-speed manual transmission — the only transmission available on all GR Corolla trims. All-around weight trimming sheds 100 pounds from the hot hatch’s usual sum: 3,252 pounds for the Core model.

While Toyota is currently considering the Circuit Edition a 2023 exclusive, the Core Corolla can be optioned in much the same way as the Circuit. The performance package, which adds the LSDs and uprated brakes, is $1,100. The technology package, offering premium audio with additional speakers, built-in navigation and wireless phone charging, tacks on $770. And the cold weather package — heated front cloth seats and steering wheel — is $500. All of those options together bring the price of a loaded Core to $39,365 — still some $4,600 less than the Circuit Edition, albeit without the suede upholstery, hood vents and other stylistic accoutrements. Oh, and if you want it in red (you should), that’s $425 extra.

Back when the GR Corolla was announced, we and other outlets forecasted a base MSRP at about $37,000. Taking shipping into account, that was just about bang on the money — and luckily, it’s a reasonable price. For comparison’s sake, the more powerful and arguably more premium Volkswagen Golf R starts at $45,185.

Now for the hard part: navigating markups, and waiting. At least if you’re hungry for driving impressions, I’ll be able to share more on that front next week.

Last edited:

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
I need to test drive one of these things
A sub $40k AWD MT turbo hatch sounds like a recipe for shenanigans
Very much lancer evolution RS vibes from the core model
Never should have sold my EVO 9 MR
Sponsored