Toyota Presents World Debut of the New 2022 GR 86

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Enthusiasts have been begging Toyota for a turbocharged 86 for nearly a decade now. Even after its heavy refresh and power increase in 2021, people still pine for boost under the hood of the lightweight rear-wheel-drive sports car. Well, Toyota is finally giving in and building turbocharged GR86s... but not for production.

Toyota confirmed to Road & Track it has built a small batch of GR86s powered by its G16E-GTS engine, the turbocharged 1.6-liter inline-three that powers the GR Yaris and GR Corolla. The cars, assembled by the company's Gazoo Racing division, aren't being used as production prototypes, however. Instead, they're being tested for future racing applications in Japan and the development of synthetic fuels, according to CarSales.

Not all hope is lost. When asked by CarSales whether this engine could make it to production, Gazoo Racing chief engineer Naoyuki Sakamoto said: “Yes, we are thinking for the future about the possibility of using it, but there are no concrete plans at the moment. "

"For now, we’re just using it to develop carbon-neutral fuels," he added.
Hey... already the carbon-neutral fuel R&D is a great project for them to pursue and an open ended answer as to production engine potential, while promising nothing, is better than them saying "No."

I take this news as a net positive. I suspect (and hope) that the G16E-GTS engine will see a lot of use in Toyota GR's plans over the next several years.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Hey... already the carbon-neutral fuel R&D is a great project for them to pursue and an open ended answer as to production engine potential, while promising nothing, is better than them saying "No."

I take this news as a net positive. I suspect (and hope) that the G16E-GTS engine will see a lot of use in Toyota GR's plans over the next several years.
I believe a GR C-HR would make plenty of sense here.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I believe a GR C-HR would make plenty of sense here.
I just keep hoping for a GR Tacoma setup as a pre-runner: RWD only, the V6 from the Camry and other Toyota cars, mounted traversely as far back on top of or behind the front wheels as possible, raised by 2in from the current TRD Off-Road, on long-travel Bilstein suspension, larger and better tires than currently put on the truck, ZF 8HP transmission, etc. I'd trade/sell my '21 TRD Off-Road in a second for this thing.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase

By now we should all have learned our lesson that when Toyota says "No" it means "Yes", and when they say "Maybe" it means "Yes", and when they say "Yes" it means "Yes."

Toyota is very hush hush about their R&D work, I know this 110%....and most (if not all) of the time, when they are pursuing a project, it usually comes to fruition at some point. Like i mentioned before, a 3cyl Turbo engine in the GR86 would make for an incredible setup.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
I just keep hoping for a GR Tacoma setup as a pre-runner: RWD only, the V6 from the Camry and other Toyota cars, mounted traversely as far back on top of or behind the front wheels as possible, raised by 2in from the current TRD Off-Road, on long-travel Bilstein suspension, larger and better tires than currently put on the truck, ZF 8HP transmission, etc. I'd trade/sell my '21 TRD Off-Road in a second for this thing.
I think what you want is possible except we'll probably get the V35A-FTS and the 10-speed automatic.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very cool!! I hope the sound in the video is genuine. As expected, with current battery technology that's a very big damn pack filling out the chassis. With next generation cell technology I'd hope for a pack even half that size or less granting the same or better specs.

The 800V standard is where it's at for EV performance cars right now, so that's also very good. You don't want less than that.

Single speed reduction gear. Well... c'est la vie. But the 328hp and 345 lb-ft are very good... as is the Torsen gear-type LSD.

They picked a very good chassis to do this with. I look forward to seeing some raw (non slick showcase style) videos of it racing.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Very cool!! I hope the sound in the video is genuine. As expected, with current battery technology that's a very big damn pack filling out the chassis. With next generation cell technology I'd hope for a pack even half that size or less granting the same or better specs.

The 800V standard is where it's at for EV performance cars right now, so that's also very good. You don't want less than that.

Single speed reduction gear. Well... c'est la vie. But the 328hp and 345 lb-ft are very good... as is the Torsen gear-type LSD.

They picked a very good chassis to do this with. I look forward to seeing some raw (non slick showcase style) videos of it racing.
Agreed... looks fantastic on paper... although for nearly a quarter million it's a bit out of my price range. ;)

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Agreed... looks fantastic on paper... although for nearly a quarter million it's a bit out of my price range. ;)
Prices for the components will come down gradually. 1/4 Million USD is out of any sane person's price range.

Most EV conversions yielding that kind of performance usuallyhover in the $70K USD price range at current time (not including the cost of the donor car). To do it right, anyway. I expect the overall cost to come way down in time. For now though... :/

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ Since my SC300 currently has that same drivetrain at stock boost (albeit with an R154 5-speed but with the overall gearing made about the same with a different custom final drive ratio) with about 200lbs more weight than the stock MKIV TT I found this test to be very interesting.

Stock for stock and with the weight and traction of both cars taken into account the GR86 appears to hold its own VERY well.

Turn up the boost on that Supra MKIV TT or change it to a modern single turbo setup with a higher flowing fuel system and things will be night and day dramatically different in favor of the A80 Supra even with its less efficient way of putting down power.

But that's a given for pretty much any turbocharged JZ I-6 vehicle.

Two cars that are somewhat similar in their interior practicality but which are otherwise in totally different classes yet I think it speaks highly of the GR86 without taking anything away from the MKIV.

Last edited: