Toyota Presents World Debut of the New 2022 GR 86

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I was reading that very thread a few days ago. Subaru and Toyota need to reassess and correct this assembly line error immediately... and issue a recall repair service for all 2022-2023 GR86's out there so far.

Factory mis-applied RTV sealant at the oil pan.
Sponsored

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I have 2 base autos available in WA state…just say’n, lol…

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This would appear to be the solution from the warranty/legal side of things on Toyota's part as the guy with that GR86 in the article points out:

If these cars and *all* GR vehicles are to be encouraged to be used for trackday fun driving then just introduce the same trackday-inclusive factory warranty that the GR Yaris gets in Europe.

I do wonder if that same warranty also applies to the *GR86* in Europe as well.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/gr-yaris-track-day-warranty/

Regardless these FA24 engines are said to be tight tolerance in all areas where the RTV sealant is to be applied which means all the people seeing excessive RTV spillover (varies from car to car) in their GR86 oil pans via a video tool suggests that a recall needs to be issued on all of them to just pull the oil pans, clean off any RTV, change out the oil pickup tube (or clean them out thoroughly) and have Subaru and Toyota master techs re-seal them the correct way.

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
This is a close friend's friend of mine which is crazy.

They've been all over Toyota of Orange as they had issues with the engine before this.

If you don't want to cover track shit, that's fine just don't be encouraging drivers to buy it as that being an option then.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They need to put the 3 cylinder turbo engine from the GR Corolla in the 86 and call it a day.
The chassis isn't set up for it at all though. It's still taller than the hood line will allow. The front crossmember and suspension were not set up for it at all. It's also a transverse engine. There is no longitudinal version of the G16E-GTS 1.6L 3-cylinder turbo.

What should happen however is that Subaru and Toyota recall these cars and add actual gaskets with this RTV material (and apply it CORRECTLY this time). That should pretty much cure the issue. But that also would cost a lot of money to correct a defect that is potentially in all of these engines.

I don't know if the previous FA20 NA engine used the same RTV-only sealing procedure rather than pre-made gaskets but I don't recall hearing of this kind of concern back in 2012-2021 with the1st gen GT86/BRZ. For those model years the issue was valvetrain related... but eventually they cured that and it isn't an issue in the 2nd gen cars. One step forward and one step back?

Whatever solution they choose they need to get the engineers on it NOW and start implementing it on the assembly line from now on.

Now the G16E-GTS 1.6L transverse engine WOULD make perfect sense in a new MR2. In addition to the 6-speed manual an 8-speed sport automatic is already being developed for the engine so that does open up even more options for Toyota. Maybe even hybrid variant options? I'm purely speculating but it's such an obvious no-brainer for them that I just can't help myself.

Last edited:

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Gonna be honest, this is the kind of thing that would make me think twice about getting a GR86, although this is just one example

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gonna be honest, this is the kind of thing that would make me think twice about getting a GR86, although this is just one example
I LOVE the GR86 and was thinking about considering one after all the improvements over the last generation... but this has given me pause until they address this issue with a recall AND by adding a pre-made gasket the affected area.

2JZ engines and many other classic Toyota engines make use of RTV type seals as well (Toyota "FIPG": Form In Place Gasket). The 2JZ upper and lower oil pans also use only the Toyota FIPG to seal.

Yet unless you do a truly ham-fisted and terrible job of applying too much of it you do not hear of sealant getting into the oil pickup area and causing bearing failures. The 2JZ oil pumps and water pumps are also affixed completely with FIPG and similarly present no such issues.

Having assembled one myself following the factory TSRM instructions it's certainly not rocket science to get it done right. That being said there are several other pre-made gaskets used throughout JZ engines besides the head gasket.

I am not very familiar with the FA20 and FA24 engines but it seems to me that it's probably not the use of RTV in that engine design that is at issue but rather the application of it during assembly.

Although at this point with so many owners reporting the same issue and/or serious risk of failure due to observing far too much RTV sealant in the oil pan I think a recall for all GR86's and BRZ's as well as the addition of a pre-made oil pan gasket should be the fix.
Sponsored