All-New 2022 Subaru BRZ Makes Global Debut

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
Looks like an RX8 and BRZ merged. Not impressed.
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
228hp 4cyl 86 30kish
255hp 4cyl Supra 43kish
268hp 3cyl GR Corolla (presumable) 38kish
382hp 6cyl Supra. 52kish

This lineup looks pretty solid, it’s the pricing that’s throwing me off ?
I wouldn’t necessarily make each vehicle’s horsepower rating the number one hierarchical differentiator when it comes to the GR Corolla and Supra 2.0T. They’re two completely different kinds of performance cars.

And currently the Supra 2.0T is in a weird spot anywhere in the lineup: compared to the 228hp GR86 the Supra 2.0 has: no manual option, no LSD option and no option to fit the larger 3.0 front brake calipers and rotors.

Opinions will differ but despite it having 255hp from a turbo, stock for stock the GR86 and GR Corolla are better values in the hierarchy until the Supra 3.0 depending on who is looking at it.

Hopefully both Supra models will see further updates that will change the current balance a bit. And hopefully the GR Corolla’s full drivetrain will remain exactly like the one in the GR Yaris.

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
I wouldn’t necessarily make each vehicle’s horsepower rating the number one hierarchical differentiator when it comes to the GR Corolla and Supra 2.0T. They’re two completely different kinds of performance cars.

And currently the Supra 2.0T is in a weird spot anywhere in the lineup: compared to the 228hp GR86 the Supra 2.0 has: no manual option, no LSD option and no option to fit the larger 3.0 front brake calipers and rotors.

Opinions will differ but despite it having 255hp from a turbo, stock for stock the GR86 and GR Corolla are better values in the hierarchy until the Supra 3.0 depending on who is looking at it.

Hopefully both Supra models will see further updates that will change the current balance a bit. And hopefully the GR Corolla’s full drivetrain will remain exactly like the one in the GR Yaris.
Oh I totally agree. I think the 2.0 Supra is kind of in a weird place, but I think the pricing is reflective of the name. The build quality and the “Supra” name carry value. I do feel that the lineup cannot be compared apples to apples, they really are different performance cars.

In respect to value, I’d say you hit it right on the money with the 86 and GR Corolla. A GR Corolla priced competitively with AWD and decent power sounds like a lot of fun.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
For me the front bumper is kinda meh. But I love everything else. Hopefully the 86 will have better looking front.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I like the seats.... and that's it.
Honestly this design fits the 400z better than the actual 400z does imo.
The BRZ is a low cost RWD sportscar for young people to get in to, and in true Subaru fashion, they made it look boring for production.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
I like the seats.... and that's it.
Honestly this design fits the 400z better than the actual 400z does imo.
The BRZ is a low cost RWD sportscar for young people to get in to, and in true Subaru fashion, they made it look boring for production.
from CarandDriver
" Toyota once again handled the design, while engineering and construction are Subaru's end of the deal. The sports car's chassis carried over, but some new materials and adhesives taken from Subaru's Global Platform have increased the rigidity of its front end by 60 percent. "

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
from CarandDriver
" Toyota once again handled the design, while engineering and construction are Subaru's end of the deal. The sports car's chassis carried over, but some new materials and adhesives taken from Subaru's Global Platform have increased the rigidity of its front end by 60 percent. "
I'm fully expecting the 86 to look more aggressive, just like the FR-S/86 did last gen than it's BRZ sister.
Just because a Toyota person penned it, doesn't mean Subaru executives didn't say what they want. Toyota probably made 30 different versions, and Subaru picked the ones they liked.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
I would assume the performance package would be upgraded brakes, suspension components, and possibly aero. I think drivetrain wise, there won’t be very many changes with respect to power.

It’s interesting to see where this slots, especially in Toyota’s lineup.

228hp 4cyl 86 30kish
255hp 4cyl Supra 43kish
268hp 3cyl GR Corolla (presumable) 38kish
382hp 6cyl Supra. 52kish

This lineup looks pretty solid, it’s the pricing that’s throwing me off ?
Don't forget about this one too:

1000hp 6yl GR Super Sport 1Mish

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
It looks good! This time Toyota needs to make the Brembo brake package a regular (ie: no bonkers TRD sideskirt and wing package) option on the GR86.