Toyota Vios

Blackbeard

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
to be fair depending how bad the fire u have alot of shit to replace at that point it should of been a total loss , ive had to fix a few works of art from the insurance companies lol

SupraXXII

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra
to be fair depending how bad the fire u have alot of shit to replace at that point it should of been a total loss , ive had to fix a few works of art from the insurance companies lol
The fire was 12 hours after returning from a 4-month-long repair at the dealership šŸ˜…

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
Lol. Took my car in last week to Toyota of Orange to do the first service at 8k. Glad to report no fires.

Dropping it off there in the coming week to get my trunk release fixed. Iā€™ll let you guys know if the trunk catches on fire.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Like I said before, Subaru's build quality is garbage. The GR86 being built by Subaru is the only thing that turns me off about it.

Btw, Toyota has been racing a GR86 in Super Taikyu with a 1.4L version of the G16E-GTS (GR COROLLA and GR Yaris' engine) running on carbon neutral fuel.
https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/c...816.63247669.1660189713-1195978052.1649876822
You said what I was going to say, I wanted to mention this. Toyota could put the 1.4L engine in the GR86.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
You said what I was going to say, I wanted to mention this. Toyota could put the 1.4L engine in the GR86.
Wow! I read the article and no kidding-- that G16E-GTS derivative actually fit within the GR86's subframe and cleared the hood after being turned 90 degrees to make it longitudinal. No telling what transmission they used, if the subframe is totally bespoke and if they needed to use a dry sump oiling system in order to make it clear, etc. but in a factory backed race car a fit is a fit. Color me surprised!

PerformanceSound, I halfway retract my previous statement in light of this news: for *current production cars* the G16E-GTS won't fit... but at least in a custom one-off racecar chassis they have shown that it can fit after considerable work.

I doubt the FA24 engine would be changed out during this generation of the BRZ and GR86 but looking at the hoodline of the racecar it does look like it might be technically possible... IF both companies wanted to go to crazy lengths to substantially redesign the car below the hood (and depending on what transmission they would give it).

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Like I said before, Subaru's build quality is garbage. The GR86 being built by Subaru is the only thing that turns me off about it.

Btw, Toyota has been racing a GR86 in Super Taikyu with a 1.4L version of the G16E-GTS (GR COROLLA and GR Yaris' engine) running on carbon neutral fuel.
https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/c...816.63247669.1660189713-1195978052.1649876822
I've seen this, but tbh, what makes sense for a racing car might not be practical or economically viable for a street car. For all we know, that engine might be dry sumped and have custom modifications to the front sub frame.

Cool concept for sure, but I'd love to see under the hood.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've seen this, but tbh, what makes sense for a racing car might not be practical or economically viable for a street car. For all we know, that engine might be dry sumped and have custom modifications to the front sub frame.

Cool concept for sure, but I'd love to see under the hood.
That is all highly likely since it's a bespoke race car with plenty of budget for such custom modifications.

I do not expect that Toyota and Subaru would change out the production FA24 engine for a G16E-GTS derivative for all the reasons you stated above. That said it's VERY cool that they did it for one of their factory race cars!

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
The chassis isn't set up for it at all though. It's still taller than the hood line will allow. The front crossmember and suspension were not set up for it at all. It's also a transverse engine. There is no longitudinal version of the G16E-GTS 1.6L 3-cylinder turbo.

What should happen however is that Subaru and Toyota recall these cars and add actual gaskets with this RTV material (and apply it CORRECTLY this time). That should pretty much cure the issue. But that also would cost a lot of money to correct a defect that is potentially in all of these engines.

I don't know if the previous FA20 NA engine used the same RTV-only sealing procedure rather than pre-made gaskets but I don't recall hearing of this kind of concern back in 2012-2021 with the1st gen GT86/BRZ. For those model years the issue was valvetrain related... but eventually they cured that and it isn't an issue in the 2nd gen cars. One step forward and one step back?

Whatever solution they choose they need to get the engineers on it NOW and start implementing it on the assembly line from now on.

Now the G16E-GTS 1.6L transverse engine WOULD make perfect sense in a new MR2. In addition to the 6-speed manual an 8-speed sport automatic is already being developed for the engine so that does open up even more options for Toyota. Maybe even hybrid variant options? I'm purely speculating but it's such an obvious no-brainer for them that I just can't help myself.
It wouldnā€™t throw the chassis dynamics off all that much. Remember, they are still keeping the weight far back (towards the center of the car close to the firewall) with the G16E. Slightly top heavy compared to the flat four, but the makeup in weight (3cyl vs 4cyl) will help. It would make the GR86 a true successor to the AE86ā€¦.back to an inline Toyota motor. There would definitely need to be hood clearances and suspension work to get the feel as close as possible as with the flat four in it. Iā€™d definitely be all over that car if it had a G16E.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase

I wouldnā€™t go as far as to say their build quality is garbage. Yeah itā€™s not Toyota level, but itā€™s definitely nowhere near garbage. I had a 2019 STI (brand new at the time) and it was excellent quality in my opinion. Materials felt great, looked expensive, and had some beefy mechanicals that didnā€™t show any signs of garbage quality. Yeah, their motors arenā€™t 2JZā€™sā€¦.butā€¦.what motor is nowadays if you think about it. Subaruā€™s are great cars, and this slip-up at the factory was probably a robot logic that got thrown off by literally a few millimeters when applying fipg.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It wouldnā€™t throw the chassis dynamics off all that much. Remember, they are still keeping the weight far back (towards the center of the car close to the firewall) with the G16E. Slightly top heavy compared to the flat four, but the makeup in weight (3cyl vs 4cyl) will help. It would make the GR86 a true successor to the AE86ā€¦.back to an inline Toyota motor. There would definitely need to be hood clearances and suspension work to get the feel as close as possible as with the flat four in it. Iā€™d definitely be all over that car if it had a G16E.
Oh I agree that it wouldn't throw off the chassis balance much if at all with the right fine tuning. And I'd love to see that little engine turned inline RWD as well.

I just can't imagine these two companies actually offering a totally different engine and spending the money to R&D a new front crossmember, re-tune the suspension, make a variant of the 86/BRZ's 6-speed manual that works with the G16E engine, etc. for high volume production.

I believe the G16E engine alone is only assembled at the Motomachi plant.

*IF* they were to actually do this for regular production GR86 and BRZ cars though? Certainly it would be fantastic.

I wouldnā€™t go as far as to say their build quality is garbage. Yeah itā€™s not Toyota level, but itā€™s definitely nowhere near garbage. I had a 2019 STI (brand new at the time) and it was excellent quality in my opinion. Materials felt great, looked expensive, and had some beefy mechanicals that didnā€™t show any signs of garbage quality. Yeah, their motors arenā€™t 2JZā€™sā€¦.butā€¦.what motor is nowadays if you think about it. Subaruā€™s are great cars, and this slip-up at the factory was probably a robot logic that got thrown off by literally a few millimeters when applying fipg.
Nothing is as overbuilt today as the old closed deck iron block high boost capable engines of the 80's and 90's.

Especially in the STI's I've always had a good sense of quality and strength in Subaru's special models.

I think you're right on the money regarding the FA24's oil pan RTV seal issue. I just hope that Subaru corrects it or already has and that both companies properly take care of re-applying new RTV sealing to all the 2nd generation BRZ/GR86 cars out there so far or that are on the dealer lots unsold (if there is such a thing as an unsold BRZ/GR86 right now).

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Perhaps this is nothing we didn't already know but it's nice to see another article mentioning it the G16E engine turned longitudinal and fitted into the one GR86 test car for carbon neutral fuels:

https://www.motor1.com/news/609254/toyota-builds-turbocharged-gr86/

Toyota Has Made A Turbocharged GR86 But You Can't Buy It (Yet)
For now, it's a testbed for synthetic fuels.

One of the last bastions of affordable performance, the GR86 entered its second generation last year with a bigger engine bringing slightly more power. However, many enthusiasts still believe Toyota should've slapped a turbocharger to significantly hike output and unlock the full potential of the sports car's platform. Well, the Gazoo Racing-branded coupe has now been blessed with forced induction, but don't get too excited just yet.

Australian magazine CarSales has learned from Toyota that a GR86 with a turbo has been built. The engine in question is the same three-cylinder 1.6-liter unit found in the GR Yaris and GR Corolla hot hatches. In the latter, it's good for a healthy 300 hp and 295 pound-feet (400 Newton-meters) of torque if you step up to the two-seat Morizo Edition. Applying these output figures to the GR86 would give it a substantial boost of 72 hp and 111 lb-ft (150 Nm).

However, the spicy coupe was engineered as a testbed to help Toyota further develop synthetic fuels. As a refresher, both the GR Yaris and GR Corolla have already been modified to run on what we hope will eventually save the combustion engine from extinction. There is a glimmer of hope a turbocharged GR86 will be sold one day. Asked by CarSales whether there's a chance, Gazoo Racing's chief engineer Naoyuki Sakamoto answered:

"Yes, we are thinking for the future about the possibility of using it, but there are no concrete plans at the moment. For now, we're just using it to develop carbon-neutral fuels."
Meanwhile, Sakamoto announced the GR86 equipped with the G16E-GTS engine will be evaluated in Japan's Super Taikyu race series. It would make sense for a potential production version to carry the GRMN badge and slot above the GR version, but we may be getting ahead of ourselves. After all, we're still patiently waiting for those rumors about a GRMN Supra to pan out, but at least there's now the GR Corolla for the US.

Lest we forget a GR Super Sport hypercar and an electric successor of the Lexus LFA are both in the works, along with a small Toyota-badged electric sports car that was teased at the end of last year. Add into the mix a manual gearbox for the Supra, the Japanese automaker is aiming to please enthusiasts.
Sponsored