The All-New GR Corolla World Premiere April 1, 2022

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
Personally, I hate trucks and SUVs. I hate how they drive, I hate how they ride, I hate everything about them. A hatch lets you get 90% of the utility of an SUV in something that rides, gets the gas mileage of, and is as fun to drive as a sedan.

The amount of stuff I’ve been able to fit in my WRX hatch is amazing. 65” LG OLED TV in the box, an 8’ cat tower, a full set of wheels/tires for the Supra, misc tools, lawn equipment, etc. (not all at once of course). All completely inside the cabin, no open doors or windows, no ropes, just lay down the passenger seats and maybe scooch the driver seat forward a few notches. All without having to buy a fucking truck. It makes for a great second car.
Get a high performance suv like the RSQ8 or X5M Comp and you will quickly change your mind.
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Don't forget the practicality of station wagons. RS5, etc.
I do like the hatchbacks. Owned a few and indeed squeezed lots of items during moves and whatnot.. super fun to chuck around. Sorry but I never liked the GTIs looks inside and out, ever... Wasn't awed with friends GTIs performances either.. but never been on the R32/3..
HBs are surely lighter, better driving dynamics, etc. than SUVs even hp SUVs. Straightline perf are one thing but you always do feel the weight shifting in tight turns with perf SUVs.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Get a high performance suv like the RSQ8 or X5M Comp and you will quickly change your mind.
I’d go X3M comp if I was going that route over the x5

Reactions: zrk

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Let's hope you never have to move anything of substance.

Don't get me wrong, I have a 5 door imprezza, and I can fit a ton of shit in there, but I'm definitely using a truck if I need to move something dirty, or tow something.
The one time every 5 years that I need to do something like that, I can just rent a truck

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Fats built not as fast as X5M Comp though. Urus killer built.
I’ve driven both (in competition trim) and I prefer the driving dynamics of the X3M. I don’t need an suv that large.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'09 335i, '23 Kona N
The one time every 5 years that I need to do something like that, I can just rent a truck
I'm with you, generally I don't see a point unless you are hauling or towing very often. My dad has always owned 1/2 tons for his business, but for him now it's more of a matter of what he's comfortable with and feeling safe since he's in his 70's.

A pickup wasn't going to help us when we moved, and if I need to get something to the house now then it's way cheaper to pay a delivery fee or many times delivery is free. If I want to do it on my time, U-Haul pickups are like $20 + a mileage rate. Paying for that stuff every so often is way cheaper than the cost of a truck + insurance premiums, and having another vehicle in my driveway that I don't really even want to own.

We've also been pretty damn impressed with what we've managed to fit in an E92 and B7 Passat over the years.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Value and collectability play into all of that thanks for the long response but its really just that simple. A factory kit of any kind is always better unless stripped out for some other purpose built type thing. I'll make the example of a Raptor suspension being good enough for off road but if you want to go purpose built and go prerunner type build you will need much better suspension components.
Thanks for the dismissive response but it really comes down to driving and enjoying the car with all or most of the desired specs for some of us no matter how original or not original it is.

As I said, I don’t really care much about originality or collectability if the desired specs and trim level are ridiculously difficult to obtain the normal way. It really is that simple. As I said, we’ll see how available the Circuit Pack will be vs a Core w/Performance Pack.

Both cars are basically the same other than easily swapped over minor but desirable visual differences between the two, save the CF roof.

Hey, to each their own though. You do you.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
I think I’m gonna put a deposit down on the Circuit Edition.
You better start now because a ton of dealerships already have waitlists and or aren’t starting them until later and they’re only making 1500 of the circuits

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
You better start now because a ton of dealerships already have waitlists and or aren’t starting them until later and they’re only making 1500 of the circuits
Indeed. I was going to contact one tomorrow, but not the end of the world if I can’t get a hold of one.

Takonic

First Name
Kelv
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I am very excited about this, I may not be trading/selling MKV for this but it means after my finance is up, I'll be perfectly in line/time to add another GR to the household. I do hope some of the goodies(not circuit exclusive) will be optional down the road.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota’s Goal Is to Make “One Too Few” GR Corollas

Though there's no hard cap on production, Toyota wants to make sure its most exciting mass-market performance car remains exclusive.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a39612033/gr-corolla-production-numbers/

Will keep the insane prices on BAT up for the future LOL :)
I find it hard to believe that the already limited production capacity out of Motomachi would ever on its own provide "too many" GR Corollas.

Toyota has yet to (if they ever will) put any policies in place that, say, make it harder for flippers to sell a GR Corolla for much higher prices secondhand right after having bought one. Or to discourage dealers from marking up these cars to truly ridiculous levels (as often happened to the Ford Focus RS).

The full article for anyone who needs it:

The Toyota GR Corolla is coming later this year and it appears to be all that we were hoping for. The only questions remaining are whether you'll be able to get one and how much it'll cost. And while Toyota isn't confirming anything about pricing, the company tells Road & Track that the special, hands-on Motomachi production facility will be able to meet the demand for the GR Corolla.

"I wouldn't say the limiting factor on these vehicles is our ability to produce them," Toyota Vice President of Marketing Mike Tripp told R&T. "It's being very careful to make sure that we maintain the niche credibility."

The right amount to ensure that while expanding the brand, Tripp says, is "one too few."

It's a similar strategy employed by high-end automakers like Porsche, who carefully calibrate production capacity to ensure there's never an over-supply of their most exciting vehicles. After all, unsold inventory shatters the illusion that a car is highly sought-after.

Toyota's maintaining flexibility for that reason, but Tripp says the company is predicting that a full year of sales will end up around 8000 units. Expect 2023 to fall shy of that number, with the production ramp and limited early availability limiting total sales to around 6000 cars.

The company also intends to keep the Corolla fresh and in-demand by rolling out updates and special editions. The first special edition is the Circuit Edition, for which Toyota hasn't shared production run plans. But Tripp told R&T to expect one each special edition to make it to most dealers, putting minimum production numbers around 1250.

"When it comes to something that's this niche, it's important to us that we give every dealer the opportunity to get one," Tripp said. "So if you do the math—and this is no guarantee—if we have a special edition for every dealer, that's 1250-ish. So when you have a total volume of somewhere between 6000 and 8000, and a special edition that's 1250 of that, we think that's the right balance. But one too few will be our goal, just not because of production limits."

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's a lot of initial demand....

https://www.motor1.com/news/580193/toyota-telling-dealers-not-to-take-too-many-gr-corolla-orders/

UPDATE: A Toyota spokesperson responded to our question:
Regarding pricing, Toyota has established a Manufacturers’ Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) that is, as it sounds, a retail price suggested by the manufacturer. Because our dealers are independent business owners, the final transaction price will be the result of interactions between the customer and the dealer. Our sales group has consulted with our regional offices to ask them to be aware of transaction prices and consult with dealers as needed.
The Toyota GR Corolla is apparently a hit. The company is seeing so much demand for the hot hatch that it is asking dealers not to take too many orders for them.

"We have places right now, and parts of the country where there are so many orders being taken, we have to stop," said Jack Hollis, senior vice president of automotive operations at Toyota Motor North America, told Road & Track.

Motor1.com reached out to Toyota to find out what regions in the US have the highest demand for the GR Corolla.

Motor1.com was recently in contact with Toyota regarding the planned production of the GR Corolla for the 2023 model year. The company plans to build around 6,500 examples. Of those, 1,500 would be the Circuit Edition. It intends to make more than 5,000 units of the Core model.

Pricing for the GR Corolla isn't yet available. The Core model goes on sale before the end of the year. The Circuit Edition arrives in 2023. Buyers get a complimentary one-year membership in the National Auto Sport Association.

Both models share a 1.6-liter turbocharged three-cylinder making 300 horsepower (224 kilowatts) at 6,500 rpm and 273 pound-feet (370 Newton-meters) from 3,000 to 5,500 rpm. The only available gearbox is a six-speed manual. The power runs through the GR-Four all-wheel-drive system that has modes for a 60-40, 50-50, and 30-70 front-rear torque split.

Toyota isn't yet releasing any performance estimates for the GR Corolla, including the acceleration and top speed.

The Core model is available with at least three option packages. Buyers can add front and rear Torsen limited-slip differentials. Another package includes heated front seats and a heated steering wheel. There's also a bundle with navigation, an upgraded stereo, and wireless smartphone charging.

The Circuit Edition comes standard with dual, limited-slip differentials. It also comes with a bulging hood with functional vents and has a forged carbon-fiber roof. Inside, there's Brin Naub faux suede and synthetic leather upholstery. The cabin has features like navigation, an eight-speaker stereo, automatic climate control, heated front seats, and a heated steering wheel.
Sponsored