Yes. You should not have sold that.
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Outside pipes are probably fake. 😆
Nope. All functional pipes. The third pipe is there to reduce back-pressure to allow for more horsepower and torque over the GR Yaris version of the G16E-GTS engine above a certain RPM. At lower RPMs the valve is closed to allow for higher back-pressure.

This affects everything from low end torque off the line to emissions certification.

A 2JZ-GTE with the stock twin turbos uses the same basic principle in sequential mode in order to both maximize power and torque off the line *and* better pass emissions with lower exhaust flow efficiency until a certain RPM at which point the entire system is much freer flowing for better exhaust efficiency and more power.... only in that case within the twin turbo piping itself.

The single turbo GR Corolla just does a milder form of this at its exhaust mufflers.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/45026/heres-why-the-2023-toyota-gr-corolla-has-three-exhaust-pipes

DDantas

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 bmw 328d
i know this may be sacrilege, but I'd be interested in one of these in an auto trans. I'd have the supra as my manual weekender, but especially in heavy traffic Los Angeles, the auto would be nice.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
i know this may be sacrilege, but I'd be interested in one of these in an auto trans. I'd have the supra as my manual weekender, but especially in heavy traffic Los Angeles, the auto would be nice.
Not sacrilege, just preference. I'm the same (but inverse). The power and handling of the MKV make it too far into "go directly to jail" territory to drive at the limit on streets - but a compact with less power and a manual can feel more "full blast" at well under 100 mph. Plus, if I'm gonna be stuck in traffic anyway... I'd rather be sitting in a BMW interior than a Toyota interior. ;)

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Not sacrilege, just preference. I'm the same (but inverse). The power and handling of the MKV make it too far into "go directly to jail" territory to drive at the limit on streets - but a compact with less power and a manual can feel more "full blast" at well under 100 mph. Plus, if I'm gonna be stuck in traffic anyway... I'd rather be sitting in a BMW interior than a Toyota interior. ;)
I’m gonna take it a step even further than you both

would anyone be interested if this car was offered as
  • Auto
  • Sedan version

I would actually be interested in the sedan with an auto😳 talk about a sleeper!

Also, having a sedan body style itself would also essentially take up the previous STi market too.

But that’s likely too much to ask for though because everyone is moving away from sedans

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
No shame in that. I gave up on manual transmission cars a decade ago and have never looked back. Engagement, rowing gears is fun, etc. It is, but these new auto transmissions are so much faster and I get to live out my childhood dream of shifting and sounding like a Group B rally car tearing across the tarmac. I may be unique in that I derive a significant amount of pleasure from any car by the way it sounds, and there's nothing like that blip of an immediate upshift and the crackles and pops when you pop it down through the gears one after another when braking hard into a corner.

Last edited:

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Man wish I could say yes, but I saving my kidneys for the black market to invest in the upcoming real estate market down turn 🤣
Your are a far more patient person than I! Too bad we can't short sell houses. 😂

No shame in that. I gave up on manual transmission cars a decade ago and have never looked back. Engagement, rowing gears is fun, etc. It is, but these new auto transmissions are so much faster and I get to live out my childhood dream of shifting and sounding like a Group B rally car tearing across the tarmac. I may be unique in that I derive a significant amount of pleasure from any car by the way it sounds, and there's nothing like that blip of an immediate upshift and the crackles and pops when you pop it down through the gears one after another when braking hard into a corner.
This is why the Supra is slowly winning me over and I'm about to sell my manual transmission race car.
Yes, I love the involvement of the manual transmission, but I do have another car I can get that thrill from.
This transmission can shift much faster than I can. Also, I really like pretending I'm in a GT3 car 😂😂😂
I'm still getting used to not heal-toeing for a downshift. It's very strange. I'm also trying to get used to left foot braking, since I can. You would think it would be easy, after over a decade of playing Gran Turismo lol

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I’m gonna take it a step even further than you both

would anyone be interested if this car was offered as
  • Auto
  • Sedan version

I would actually be interested in the sedan with an auto😳 talk about a sleeper!

Also, having a sedan body style itself would also essentially take up the previous STi market too.

But that’s likely too much to ask for though because everyone is moving away from sedans

Personally...? I'd only consider the GR Corolla (or Supra) in a manual because... pretty soon the option won't be offered any longer anyway and I really, really like using manual transmissions on the street. For an automatic-like experience with only two pedals I'll look to most EVs. But if there's a gas engine involved I'd personally much rather have a stick-shift which makes the current GR Corolla a very appealing practical everyday performance model.

But it's already happening that Toyota is developing an 8-speed automatic transmission for the G16E-GTS engine for use in the GR Yaris, GR Corolla and possibly some other G16E powered vehicle(s) so it's entirely possible that you'll get your wish before long.

Also, GR has been rumored to be working on some kind of sedan model and that could well be a Corolla sedan with the GR-Four AWD system and G16E engine. Or... it could be something else entirely.

Toyota knows they need to widen the appeal and applications of its G16E engine in order to amortize its cost of development and lifecycle and it was inevitable that an automatic transmission would be developed for it.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra