The All-New GR Corolla World Premiere April 1, 2022

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
I don't know why some of you just straight up assume that the automatic option is a DCT, because guess what? It isn't. It's an 8 speed torque converter automatic transmission.

https://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1395167.html

No offence but I got a feeling that some of you don't really know much about how Toyota is like.
The zf in the Supra is still a torque converted auto so I’m also confused why people assumed it was a dct but if it was going to be on par with the shift speed of the zf then I’m sure most people would be on board. I do find it interesting that when they did the reveal he specifically said “manual only”
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I'm assuming it'll be around 1500 units for the Circuit Edition. 500 in each color like the Supra Launch Edition.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Not factory= not the same
Given how there are no hard *mechanical or electronic* differences between the Circuit Pack and Performance Pack trim levels I have to disagree when it comes to real world enjoyment of these cars excepting factory original status.

I'm not suggesting that meticulously collecting all the body and interior parts and shocks (are the shocks the same though?) (however many someone would wish to) in order to give their GR Corolla "Core" w/Performance Pack the same visual looks as a Circuit Pack car gives their replica a VIN number indicating that it is a Circuit Pack Model.

I'm just noting that with assured extreme limited availability and high dealer markups for just one model year it is certainly possible to pretty much custom build the rest of your own de-facto Circuit Pack model (minus the carbon fiber roof of course which would be a pain to acquire and install at a body shop) with some parts bin shopping and extra work.

It may not be the same as in it's not a factory original 1 of xxx ever made in that trim level vehicle... but in the real world it would be effectively 99% the same vehicle (again, the CF roof is pretty much the only truly difficult thing to change to) for one's own personal enjoyment.

Then again I'm the kind of person who, when doing such a thing (and I have before), studies every TSRM diagram, cross-references every pertinent wiring diagram and pinout, everything in exploded parts catalog for the model spec being converted to, collects every single obscure and tiny factory part required to do a conversion to some other rarer spec or swap to get an end result that is as painstakingly close to how the manufacturer would have done it as is possible.

I've never cared about the originality of a vehicle, just whether or not it has the full specifications I want so as to enjoy driving it with those specs and in that state of tune.

The Circuit Pack edition is certainly the one to get but with such limited availability and considering the exact same mechanical and electronic specs are available on the higher volume Core model w/Performance Pack I can see some people doing it simply because there won't be enough Circuit Pack editions for all who want them.

For the time being however, we'll see just how available and attainable the one-year-only Circuit Pack editions will be. It's certainly far less work to just buy it in the spec and option package(s) you want from the factory.

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
One thing I don’t like. Toyota pick one, dual exhaust or centre exit. Not both
95C20F6A-0DE1-412E-8566-DCDB8D05B2DF.jpeg
"The center one is for the high-power," said Toyota Chief Engineer Naoyuki Sakamoto in an interview with The Drive. "Above a certain engine rpm, there is a valve. So they open that and it goes straight to the outside of the car, which reduces the backpressure and achieves the 300 horsepower."

The backpressure that Sakamoto is talking about is the force it takes to move gasses out of the car's exhaust, which can be detrimental in a turbocharged car like the GR Corolla. Too much backpressure and the turbo is fighting to evacuate the hot gasses trapped in the exhaust. A more free-flowing exhaust system means less turbulence and less backpressure.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/45026/heres-why-the-2023-toyota-gr-corolla-has-three-exhaust-pipes

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That exhaust will be replaced by a blacked out aftermarket catback immediately lol. Good thing is the core comes out before the Circuit Edition so by the time I get it, there should be options available.

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
Given how there are no hard *mechanical or electronic* differences between the Circuit Pack and Performance Pack trim levels I have to disagree when it comes to real world enjoyment of these cars excepting factory original status.

I'm not suggesting that meticulously collecting all the body and interior parts and shocks (are the shocks the same though?) (however many someone would wish to) in order to give their GR Corolla "Core" w/Performance Pack the same visual looks as a Circuit Pack car gives their replica a VIN number indicating that it is a Circuit Pack Model.

I'm just noting that with assured extreme limited availability and high dealer markups for just one model year it is certainly possible to pretty much custom build the rest of your own de-facto Circuit Pack model (minus the carbon fiber roof of course which would be a pain to acquire and install at a body shop) with some parts bin shopping and extra work.

It may not be the same as in it's not a factory original 1 of xxx ever made in that trim level vehicle... but in the real world it would be effectively 99% the same vehicle (again, the CF roof is pretty much the only truly difficult thing to change to) for one's own personal enjoyment.

Then again I'm the kind of person who, when doing such a thing (and I have before), studies every TSRM diagram, cross-references every pertinent wiring diagram and pinout, everything in exploded parts catalog for the model spec being converted to, collects every single obscure and tiny factory part required to do a conversion to some other rarer spec or swap to get an end result that is as painstakingly close to how the manufacturer would have done it as is possible.

I've never cared about the originality of a vehicle, just whether or not it has the full specifications I want so as to enjoy driving it with those specs and in that state of tune.

The Circuit Pack edition is certainly the one to get but with such limited availability and considering the exact same mechanical and electronic specs are available on the higher volume Core model w/Performance Pack I can see some people doing it simply because there won't be enough Circuit Pack editions for all who want them.

For the time being however, we'll see just how available and attainable the one-year-only Circuit Pack editions will be. It's certainly far less work to just buy it in the spec and option package(s) you want from the factory.
Value and collectability play into all of that thanks for the long response but its really just that simple. A factory kit of any kind is always better unless stripped out for some other purpose built type thing. I'll make the example of a Raptor suspension being good enough for off road but if you want to go purpose built and go prerunner type build you will need much better suspension components.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only the Circuit has the LSD, right?
Like @SupraNews said, it's part of the Performance Pack for the Core model. The Circuit Edition gets it standard.
From what I understand both cars can be mechanically exactly the same through optional extras on the Core Edition. The difference is hood, wing, seats, shift knob, that kinda stuff. And the Heavy Metal color is exclusive to the Circuit Edition and Core gets black.

Oh, and the exterior trim pieces are gloss black on the Circuit, and bare plastic on the Core.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
I'm assuming it'll be around 1500 units for the Circuit Edition. 500 in each color like the Supra Launch Edition.
They said 1500 circuits and 5100 core for the first year. (The 5100 is just for the first year of the core)

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
"The center one is for the high-power," said Toyota Chief Engineer Naoyuki Sakamoto in an interview with The Drive. "Above a certain engine rpm, there is a valve. So they open that and it goes straight to the outside of the car, which reduces the backpressure and achieves the 300 horsepower."

The backpressure that Sakamoto is talking about is the force it takes to move gasses out of the car's exhaust, which can be detrimental in a turbocharged car like the GR Corolla. Too much backpressure and the turbo is fighting to evacuate the hot gasses trapped in the exhaust. A more free-flowing exhaust system means less turbulence and less backpressure.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/45026/heres-why-the-2023-toyota-gr-corolla-has-three-exhaust-pipes
I feel like a lot of the people reading these articles did not listen when it came to the reveal. That’s got to be the 3rd or 4th video or article that I’ve read that says the “circuit/launch edition will be leading the pack when the car is finally launched later this year” but in the reveal they specifically mention the core will be first and the circuit in 2023

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Am I the only one here who has never really liked hatchbacks, nor hot hatches? I appreciate them, think they’re necessary.. add variety, etc but I’ve never liked how they look. I never grew up wanting a hot hatch.
I dunno.
Still an awesome car though
Personally, I hate trucks and SUVs. I hate how they drive, I hate how they ride, I hate everything about them. A hatch lets you get 90% of the utility of an SUV in something that rides, gets the gas mileage of, and is as fun to drive as a sedan.

The amount of stuff I’ve been able to fit in my WRX hatch is amazing. 65” LG OLED TV in the box, an 8’ cat tower, a full set of wheels/tires for the Supra, misc tools, lawn equipment, etc. (not all at once of course). All completely inside the cabin, no open doors or windows, no ropes, just lay down the passenger seats and maybe scooch the driver seat forward a few notches. All without having to buy a fucking truck. It makes for a great second car.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Personally, I hate trucks and SUVs.
Let's hope you never have to move anything of substance.

Don't get me wrong, I have a 5 door imprezza, and I can fit a ton of shit in there, but I'm definitely using a truck if I need to move something dirty, or tow something.
Sponsored

Last edited: