Transmission Issue?

A90Enemy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
So i have a 22 3.0 premium that i picked up september in west virginia and drove it down to miami did about 16 hours and a bit over 1k miles on the car right away. when i got back home i showed the car to a few friends and did a few pulls on it but towards the end of that day the car switching gears from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th would shift very hard when driving normal and it would feel very clunky almost like if it’s struggling to enter gear the whole car would bog i found it weird but it never did it again fast towards a few months car has 5500 miles on it and if i drive it for over 30-45 min non stop and then try to drive in the city it does it again wether it’s in sport normal or manual mode the entire car bogs when changing gears but doesn’t do it if i do a pull it’s almost like if it does it when the transmission gets too hot maybe im not sure im going in for my first oil change and going to talk to the tech but anyone else experience this? the car is entirely stock i have bimmer code but that wouldn’t affect anything
Sponsored

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
That was one incredibly long sentence stuffed in that paragraph. I had to grab a sip of coffee in the middle of it for a break. :D

Short answer: no, not normal - and not heat related. These transmissions can take a serious beating without skipping a beat on the racetrack. I would definitely speak to your service department and open a ticket on it. Typically the only transmission issues that pop up on these forums is the 'stuck in 4th' issue.

OP
OP
A90Enemy

A90Enemy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That was one incredibly long sentence stuffed in that paragraph. I had to grab a sip of coffee in the middle of it for a break. :D

Short answer: no, not normal - and not heat related. These transmissions can take a serious beating without skipping a beat on the racetrack. I would definitely speak to your service department and open a ticket on it. Typically the only transmission issues that pop up on these forums is the 'stuck in 4th' issue.
i wanted to specify it all lmao but yea its very weird and reason i’m saying heating is bc it happens after a while of the car running but these transmissions hold w no problem but my appointment is tuesday so fingers crossed they figure it out

Waszabee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Mkv 3.0 Premium
@OP any updates? This sounds somewhat similar to what I'm experiencing. When I upshift at lower RPMs (~4k) from 3rd or 4th in sports (+ manual) mode after driving it a bit harder in the mountains it feels like the car shudders/jitters a bit? I 'm not sure what the right word to describe it is, but it's not buttery smooth like all other shifts are, but it doesn't happen all the time. I've tried it near 4k RPMs when driving it a bit easier and it was fine.
At WOT near 5k RPMs it doesn't happen for same gear changes so I suspect it's just the short shifting / me not shifting at correct times?
I found a youtube video a while back of someone describing it as "doing what BMWs do" but can't find the link again...

Edit: Not sure if related but I also found that after driving it harder in sport mode and then hitting stop & go traffic, back in normal mode in gear 1 or 2 creeping up slowly as soon as I take my foot off the gas the car power just disappears and you can feel an engine break effect with the same shudder / jitter effect without actually shifting. I feel like this is normal when coming to a slow crawl after WOT in sport mode but I'm not sure.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Did you play with the gears a bit when you drove it from VA to FL? If it was in a constant gear for those 1k miles it may have severely messed up the transmission since it wasn't properly broken in. I was always told it's best to trailer a brand new car if you're going to drive it straight from the dealership long distance like that to avoid any transmission issues down the road.

OP
OP
A90Enemy

A90Enemy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So bit of a late response back to this thread but took the car to the dealer they just said the car had nothing when they hooked up the computer to it kinda had a feeling they would say that because it being a toyota dealership and the car basically being 90% BMW but i spoke to a buddy of mine and said he had a 19’ mustang 5.0 with a blower and said when he would beat on the car a lot it would do the same thing says that his tuner told him it’s normal bc the temps go up and the car even though you’re not beating on it anymore still try’s to drive hard now not sure if it’s the same for the supra but it hasn’t happened to me in months but if it happens again not really sure what i’ll do since toyota says nothing wrong with it

OP
OP
A90Enemy

A90Enemy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@OP any updates? This sounds somewhat similar to what I'm experiencing. When I upshift at lower RPMs (~4k) from 3rd or 4th in sports (+ manual) mode after driving it a bit harder in the mountains it feels like the car shudders/jitters a bit? I 'm not sure what the right word to describe it is, but it's not buttery smooth like all other shifts are, but it doesn't happen all the time. I've tried it near 4k RPMs when driving it a bit easier and it was fine.
At WOT near 5k RPMs it doesn't happen for same gear changes so I suspect it's just the short shifting / me not shifting at correct times?
I found a youtube video a while back of someone describing it as "doing what BMWs do" but can't find the link again...

Edit: Not sure if related but I also found that after driving it harder in sport mode and then hitting stop & go traffic, back in normal mode in gear 1 or 2 creeping up slowly as soon as I take my foot off the gas the car power just disappears and you can feel an engine break effect with the same shudder / jitter effect without actually shifting. I feel like this is normal when coming to a slow crawl after WOT in sport mode but I'm not sure.
the exact thing happens to me quite a bit actually and when the car is cold as well

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
Typically the only transmission issues that pop up on these forums is the 'stuck in 4th' issue.
Happened to me. Rolling anti lag on the highway and got stuck in 4th with transmission warning flag. Pulled off exit, let it idle down, turned off a few minutes then fired right up again. No warnings, threw it in Drive and it went to 1st great. GTG.

6round

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium
the exact thing happens to me quite a bit actually and when the car is cold as well
Yup same here. My car will even lurch at times if I brake and then gas it right after. Super weird and an issue I’ve had for a few years now. The shuddering is getting annoying. Any updates on your end since?
Sponsored