Tuning for 90 octane?

Toast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, GR86
Short version: I'm making tuning plans for this year, but in a year or so I'm planning on moving to someplace where 90 octane is the best available pump gas.

Long version:
I'm waiting for spring to arrive in upstate NY, so I'm evaluating catted downpipe+intake to run for a bit without a tune. I'm still getting used to the current power levels on my '21, so basically I want just a little more noise/response for now. Then maybe this summer or fall I'll get a tune for my normal fills of 93 octane plus a 91 map since its easier to find 91.

The wrench in the plans is that hopefully next year I'll be moving to Alaska, but they don't appear to have anything better than 90 octane for pump gas. Since this move is essentially permanent and I don't plan on getting rid of the Supra, what are the benefits, if any, of getting a 90 octane tune vs just running stock & upgraded downpipe/intake?

I rarely drive gonzo, but when I do it's on deserted roads (in Canada, naturally) where the biggest danger is deer and I can otherwise drive pretty aggressively. Normally, the car is essentially a three season daily driver for commuting with max throttle of maybe 50%. When I do get on it, I'd like just a little more out of the car.

Do I have other options with a 90 octane base that don't require measuring octane boosters into the tank? I'd certainly consider methanol, especially if it's only needed/injected when I'm driving harder.

Keep in mind I have not tuned a car before, so I really don't know what's normal/possible for this situation. The 90 octane gas is throwing me for a bit of a loop, maybe needlessly, so I'd like to figure out how big of a deal the weak octane is and what my options are.

I appreciate the input. This forum has been an excellent source of information for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Toast

Toast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, GR86
The owner's manual states 89 minimum along with boilerplate about knock at high external temps. It seems like a 90 specific tune would hep tune out the risk of knock rather than have the car learn it.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Use ethanol. If no ethanol then do meth, but preferably through port injection.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
I'm not sure but i think alaskan fuel is ethanol free. I may be wrong. But if you are going to move there and use 90oct. i would get a custom tunes that suits that fuel. the low octane and lack of ethanol (if indeed its ethanol free) would encourage knock more on the stock tune.

He_drives

First Name
Fayadh aldoseri
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk iv supra, r35 Gtr , ap2 s2000, s14 Silvia , gd sti, grb sti, 997.2 gt3, w12 C-GT
Vehicle Showcase
My car is tuned on our country 95 what is equivalent to US Ron 90/89 range with a down pipe and arma speed intake 407whp and 460wtq. Mid range is strong and nothing but flat high range. In comparison My friends are tuned on imported 98 and are pushing 460whp and 520wtq
I'm happy with it as it's hustle free pump gas with out additions and a safe tune.