Turn8 Laguna Seca | 10-22-2021 (Intermediate 2)

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
First wet track day in the books! I am not eager to do it again but found it a valuable experience.
I made a last minute decision to change my Yokohama Apex V601 tires out for a set of Yokohama Advan A052 (factory sizing), because my rears were between 1/32" to 3/32" and I knew it would be a wet day.

Fastest lap of the day:

In-car version:

One of my faster wet laps - the rain/drizzle just stopped:

Start of my day:

I have to reset my brain to having such good rear grip on the car. As much as I enjoy sliding the Supra around, I didn't trust myself to be able to floor it out of corners, just based on my previous experiences (as well as the wet conditions in the morning). Much more to learn about this car - glad I've put aside the idea of selling it early.

Also some impressions about the A052 - surprisingly very low NVH and soft - reminds me a bit of PS4S. Also great fuel economy - the drive to/from on the highway was ~33mpg @72mph average speeds. Below are some photos of the wear on each tire at the end of my day - which you could consider 1/3 or 1/2 of a typical track day due to the wet morning conditions.
IMG_0430.jpeg

IMG_0431.jpeg

IMG_0434.jpeg

IMG_0420.jpeg

The Garmin Catalyst was also a pretty cool tool - but something will need to be done in regards to the audio.
Sample video (SOUND WARNING):

Here's how it's mounted (worked flawlessly for me):
IMG_0429.jpeg

Open to feedback, comments and questions!
Link to related threads of experiences with my car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
Very nice! I wish i went but at the moment, i don't have the balls to track the supra just yet especially with the light rain that swept through. I do need to take out my track FD once i get more preparations complete. I did have a few friends out there which they told me about the light drizzle/rain that swept through and i'm glad that it remained dry for the rest of the time.

The A052, i've heard nothing but good things about them, how was the warm up time for those or did you feel confident right off the bat?

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Very nice! I wish i went but at the moment, i don't have the balls to track the supra just yet especially with the light rain that swept through. I do need to take out my track FD once i get more preparations complete. I did have a few friends out there which they told me about the light drizzle/rain that swept through and i'm glad that it remained dry for the rest of the time.

The A052, i've heard nothing but good things about them, how was the warm up time for those or did you feel confident right off the bat?
Definitely get out there - tons of fun and always something to learn. Based on the lower temps (air and track) all day long, the tires still impressed me, but I'd say it takes at least the out lap to get heat in them. Lap 3 (incl. out lap) is the one to get after.

Good luck with your track FD!!