Undercarriage Salt Contamination

Wetherman

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Picked up my new 2021 3.0 Premium in April with 20 miles on it after my test drive a few days earlier. I bought it at a dealer in Mt Laurel, NJ. Got it home to Allentown, PA in sunny, no precipitation weather. Started looking underneath the car when I saw quite a bit of white splatter inside the wheel wells. The further I looked, the more white deposits I found. Upon closer inspection it was salt - was so pissed I called teh dealer and wanted another car but they said this was something they couldn't control and would not take it back. I have 500 miles on it now and it never goes out in the rain.

Has anyone ever experienced this with their new car?? I can only assume it got hit pretty hard coming across the ocean with sea water - it is the only thing that makes sense to me. Paint is perfect but the mechanicals I have spent hours trying to clean ups. Exhaust was rusted but several of these items will be upgraded. anyway but still sticks in my craw.

Anybody with suggestion about salt neutralization techniques. I have made it much better but still have work to do. Nice way to introduce myself to my new Supra. Love the car but this is annoying as hell. Dealer sent me a check for $500 but not very satisfying. Am I complaining too much?

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG
Sponsored

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I would strongly suggest getting the car up on a lift and blasting the underside at multiple angles with a great deal of water pressure with a power washer. This should flush any remaining salt or residue from the underside and access the nooks and crannies.

This would allow me to sleep better at night.

I would bet someone at the NJ dealer drove it on the salt and snow covered roads.

Okvilln

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Toyota Supra | 20' Audi S5 SB | 11' R8
I would bet someone at the NJ dealer drove it on the salt and snow covered roads.
Thats what im thinking. Cant avoid salty roads in the NE - especially if the vehicle was driven from dealer to dealer.

OP
OP
Wetherman

Wetherman

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Not sure how many miles are typically on a new car but it had 10 when I test drove it in April. Theoretically I guess it is possible but the car would have had to have been on the lot for the winter and in their inventory for 3.5 months. Manufacturer date is 12/2020 so maybe.

In the end it doesn't matter but I do have to continue to work through it the "desalination" process..... @#$%$! Would love to see how they packed/protected for shipment from Germany.

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
I would use a power washer to clean the salt and spray Fluid film on a towel and wipe it down. It will keep everything under the car clean and protected. I do this to my FJ Cruiser every spring and fall before and after winter in NJ.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I would be so pissed!!

No way that salt is from the trip across the ocean. It would be all over the sides and paint too.

They probably moved it around their parking lot with salt covered slush and just left it rust. Call Toyota Corporate and file a complaint. $500 is an insult.

Which dealership was it?

-RJM

Reactions: zrk

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
OP
OP
Wetherman

Wetherman

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Thanks for the support guys. It's good and bad to know that my situation was unique. Hate to see it happen to anyone else but frustrated I didn't catch it at pick-up day. Exhaust is on order and suspension parts won't be far behind. I love working on my car just didn't think it would be this soon and in this way. I really appreciate this forum!

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I would be so pissed!!

No way that salt is from the trip across the ocean. It would be all over the sides and paint too.

They probably moved it around their parking lot with salt covered slush and just left it rust. Call Toyota Corporate and file a complaint. $500 is an insult.

Which dealership was it?

-RJM
This^ contact toyota corporate, file a complaint with the DMV, leave them reviews.

Just blast them until someone does something or at least warn others about that dealer.

Just another classic example of car dealerships out screwing people at every opportunity.
Sponsored