Unlocking and Tuning my 2022 ECU with Visconti Tuning and Femto

• Thread starter Deleted member 7042
  • Start date
  • Watchers 17

Deleted member 7042

TL;DR -- I worked with Visconti Tuning to unlock my ECU, and it went beautifully, details below if you're interested.

Time for a story!

I purchased a 2022 Supra at the end of December, while already having a 2021 Supra which I sold after taking delivery. I knew that I wanted to unlock and tune the car after becoming familiar with the 2021 the season prior, knowingly voiding the warranty forever more. Based on the information in the forum here, I knew the only option to do that, was to send the ECU to Russia (at the time, but now Finland) **big thanks to @zrk**. There was enough content on the forum that I understood how the process went, after a couple days of searching.

Below is a timeline of events and outcomes:

February 28, 2022 - I contacted FEMTO directly via Instagram, ask what the processes is, and am told that they service EU customers only.
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.40.25 PM.png

February 28, 2022 - The same night, I reached out to Visconti Tuning here on the forums via private message, Visconti responds that they can do it, and gave me a price for the basic unlock service.
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.43.10 PM.png

March 1, 2022 - Visconti Tuning and I get on the phone, we agree to the service (unlock original, no clone, and MHD), they send me an invoice and I pay.
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.46.24 PM.png

March 5, 2022 - Overnight label is received, and ECU is sent out that same day.
March 16-20, 2022 - Visconti and his team are at TX2k22, but are still in contact with me keeping me updated on where I am at in the process.
March 17, 2022 - Femto has received the ECU, and there are spare *cloneable* ECUs in stock, Visconti calls and I agree that I actually want a cloned ECU to be able to use ECUTek rather than MHD.
March 23, 2022 - Visconti receives the ECU back from Femto in Finland, calls me, and verifies the details, sends over an invoice to cover the difference between the MHD non-clone unlock and the ECUTek clone unlock, and I pay.
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.48.17 PM.png

March 24th, 2022 - Visconti ships the ECU back to me with an overnight label, it gets stuck in Nashville.
March 28th, 2022 - 2 ECUs Arrive, the original and now unlocked ECU, as well as the cloned and unlocked ECU.
March 29th, 2022 - Install the cloned ECU, install the ECUTek app, and receive the OTS 93 tune file from Visconti.
April 1st, 2022 - Drove the car, with the cloned and unlocked ECU, across the country from Wisconsin to Nashville, TN (without the original ECU as backup). The car performs flawlessly for the 1,600+ mile / 22 hour drive.
April 15th, 2022 - Purchased the flex fuel kit, and ordered an E50 / Stage 2 (sorry @zrk, it's just what they call it), tune from Visconti, sends over an invoice, and I pay.
April 22nd, 2022 - Flex fuel kit installed, E85 flex tune flashed. The car is an absolute animal, tune works great.
IMG-0593.jpg
IMG-0597.PNG

May 2nd, 2022 (Tomorrow) - Dyno Day!

Total Time: 22 days
Total Cost: $5,570
(Before the flex fuel kit and e85 flex tune)

Notable kills after the tune:
Porsche 911 GT3 (991.1)
Tesla P100D
Porsche Cayman GT4
C7 Zo6

And a picture to show the level of detail and care that Visconti Tuning took in all of this process. Thank you to the team at @visconti Tuning, you know who you are specifically but I wont name anyone in particular.
IMG-0305.jpg

ED6A6512-5C49-4496-8F17-EBE6B010624D.jpeg

In summary, I would do this again, and I think the price is worthy of the value. It took less than 25 days, start to finish, with TX2k22 going on and Visconti being sick.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor
The invoice says "custom", but my understanding is that it's an OTS Flex Fuel tune specific to the modifications I have.
Are you running the mods necessary to make peak power at E85 or are you just able to run E85 but peak power is at E50?

I just flashed a Visconti stage 2 93oct OTS tune, and flex would be my next step, so that’s why I’m asking about your path.

OP
OP

Deleted member 7042

Are you running the mods necessary to make peak power at E85 or are you just able to run E85 but peak power is at E50?

I just flashed a Visconti stage 2 93oct OTS tune, and flex would be my next step, so that’s why I’m asking about your path.
Everything besides meth, yes (at least I think this would be all the supporting modifications you would need to get maximum benefits) - I could be ignorant. I’ve never heard of anyone safely running more than E50, and I don’t intend to go past that.
  • AMS Catless Downpipe
  • AWE resonated Exhaust
  • Vivid Racing Titanium charge pipe
  • Pilot Sport Cup tires
  • Verus Engineering Turbo shield
  • Send the ECU to Finland for Femtoevo to unlock and clone
  • Stage 2 OTS tune by Visconti
  • ECUTek license and OBD phone kit
  • MST v2 Intake
  • E85 Flex Fuel Kit by Visconti
  • E85 Flex Fuel Stage 2 OTS tune by Visconti

Last edited by a moderator:

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor
Everything besides meth, yes (at least I think this would be all the supporting modifications you would need to get maximum benefits) - I could be ignorant.
Thanks for the breakdown, I appreciate it. Not sure if you have a dragy, but runs on 93 vs. e50 vs. e85 on your setup would be interesting. I believe I read that e50 is a sweet spot without other mods, but I could also be ignorant (edit: found a relevant thread https://www.supramkv.com/threads/flex-fuel-questions.6440/post-125714)

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

kanpen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FX35 FZ09 Supra A91
Did you do a before and after dyno pull? Curious what your HP gains are.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Did you do a before and after dyno pull? Curious what your HP gains are.
Dyno numbers aren't really interesting/don't really mean all that much. The stock turbo is good to about 500-550 hp, and that's pushing it. It's likely around 470-520hp.

kanpen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FX35 FZ09 Supra A91
Dyno numbers aren't really interesting/don't really mean all that much. The stock turbo is good to about 500-550 hp, and that's pushing it. It's likely around 470-520hp.
I know that dyno numbers vary widely based on many factors. But I'd like to see what these tunes are adding based on before and after runs. Otherwise what are you basing your tuning off of?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I know that dyno numbers vary widely based on many factors. But I'd like to see what these tunes are adding based on before and after runs. Otherwise what are you basing your tuning off of?
1/4 mile times, obviously.

Edit for sarcasm: What does it matter? Why tune your car at all? What are your goals?

Do you want to feel fast? Do you want to win races? Do you want to enjoy the car? Do you want to hold a piece of paper that says you made 800hp? Bragging rights?

Jeff (Payn) was posting on FB yesterday talking about 'what makes a tune, "good,"' I think that's a great question. It's definitely something to think about. If you want a streetable car, the shape of the powerband matters a lot. Not the peak HP number, just as an example.

This stuff all matters when you tune your car. Some people have lap times a goal, they add a little power and focus on suspension. 1/4 mile folks (like myself) have an ET in mind they wanna hit. Some folks are looking for a 'kill list'. OP has one, and it's impressive.

kanpen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FX35 FZ09 Supra A91

Edit for sarcasm: What does it matter? Why tune your car at all? What are your goals?

Do you want to feel fast? Do you want to win races? Do you want to enjoy the car? Do you want to hold a piece of paper that says you made 800hp? Bragging rights?

Jeff (Payn) was posting on FB yesterday talking about 'what makes a tune, "good,"' I think that's a great question. It's definitely something to think about. If you want a streetable car, the shape of the powerband matters a lot. Not the peak HP number, just as an example.

This stuff all matters when you tune your car. Some people have lap times a goal, they add a little power and focus on suspension. 1/4 mile folks (like myself) have an ET in mind they wanna hit. Some folks are looking for a 'kill list'. OP has one, and it's impressive.
Yes, you're right all those things matter. I've no goals to shit on his or anyone else's build to each their own. I'm just curious.