[Update/Fix]Transmission acting up. No Drivetrain Malfunction msg.

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
Hi,

So all started today at the dragstrip, I did a burnout and then, at the time of the launch, I floored the gas and keep spinning all the way until fuel cutoff and I got the drivetrain malfunction message (only this time), so I drove slowly to the pit area, no CEL or anything. Shut the car off, waited for a couple minutes and started it again, no issues. After that I was able to run again and got the 11.6 s pass.

So tonight I went to drive around to test the E30 tune, to test the power with the cold of the night, So everything normal for an hour, then I put it on sport, was in third gear and floored the gas, pulled like hell and then the lose traction yellow light flashed a few times, then like a burnt clutch the engine revved but I wasn't moving, so I pulled over, switched to P, then to D and tried to move but was jerky so I decided to put it on P and wait. No drivetrain messages this time, no new codes on the diagnostics (checking via OBD2 with BM3). So I shut off the engine, waited a few seconds, started the engine, and drove normally, even tried to do some pulls (no WOT), and shifted fine, everything normal...

I don't know what's going on, I would expect some reduce power message or something. Can the transmission be protecting itself? But some people are pushing the engine and transmission way harder than my current setup (catless dp and CAI, running E30 OTS BM3 stage 2 map). Could be an issue with the diff? At this point I don't know what to do, maybe going to the dealer and hope the bill won't be that big, I assume they will void my warranty due to the downpipe.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Camus

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So, I think I found the problem, and it might not be a problem at all. The problem happens when I start to lose traction, my wheels can't handle all the torque from the E30 and the Tune and I noticed that the stability control gives up and put the trans into limp mode. I figured out by disabling all traction controls, I did the same, a WOT pull from50 mph, the car started to go sideways pretty bad, but I was able to regain control, nothing happened, no limp mode or anything.

So this may explain why on the track I didn't hit the issue, I had traction control off and I was sure to have the tires hot enough, I didn't lose traction at the track. So, it's time for new tires I think, the torque is overkill for these tires..

Last edited:

A90dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
So, I think I found the problem, and it might not be a problem at all. The problem happens when I start to lose traction, my wheels can't handle all the torque from the E30 and the Tune and I noticed that the stability control gives up and put the trans into limp mode. I figured out by disabling all traction controls, I did the same, a WOT pull from50 mph, the car started to go sideways pretty bad, but I was able to regain control, nothing happened, no limp mode or anything.

So this may explain why on the track I didn't hit the issue, I had traction control off and I was sure to have the tires hot enough, I didn't lose traction at the track. So, it's time for new tires I think, the torque is overkill for these tires..
Did this ever happen to you on the freeway as far as you stepping on the gas and the car going into limp mode. This happened to me today and Iā€™m trying to figure it out. Iā€™m also running an e30 map.
It also does on my 91oct and meth map. Hasnā€™t done it on my 91 map with no meth.

Toyotasupa310

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Did this ever happen to you on the freeway as far as you stepping on the gas and the car going into limp mode. This happened to me today and Iā€™m trying to figure it out. Iā€™m also running an e30 map.
It also does on my 91oct and meth map. Hasnā€™t done it on my 91 map with no meth.
Having the same problem any fix to it??? Car jerks when out into D and it shift so bad

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
this is happening to me, but VSC off or on, but on WOT pulls even when it is not spinning, but only at or closer to redline. I am on e30 ots, car is making abt 500wheel tq. some people said torque limit being engaged and throwing into limp mode, if i turn the car off and on it works fine till I WOT again

OP
OP
Camus

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
this is happening to me, but VSC off or on, but on WOT pulls even when it is not spinning, but only at or closer to redline. I am on e30 ots, car is making abt 500wheel tq. some people said torque limit being engaged and throwing into limp mode, if i turn the car off and on it works fine till I WOT again
I was using also E30 OTS. I would say, move to a custom tune, after the custom tune (Marin), I never saw that issue again.

suptj

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
This is currently happening to me as I speak. From research, I see itā€™s a common occurrence with BM3 users. My car is tuned on BM3ā€™s stage 2 multimap + flex fuel and itā€™s giving me issues. Some say itā€™s tranny slipping while others say to go custom tune?

Tony11011

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A 90 Supra, SR20 Datsun 1200 Ute

Hi Camus

I'm having the exact same issue, did you find a solution that doesn't involve running the car with VSC off, on the E tunes its a bit of a handful on the street.
Is it a BM3 issue?

Thanks

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Hi Camus

I'm having the exact same issue, did you find a solution that doesn't involve running the car with VSC off, on the E tunes its a bit of a handful on the street.
Is it a BM3 issue?

Thanks
Not a BM3 issue. Tune issue. I have BM3 and do not have this issue.

Tony11011

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A 90 Supra, SR20 Datsun 1200 Ute
Not a BM3 issue. Tune issue. I have BM3 and do not have this issue.
Thanks as always Razor lab, much appreciated.

Any idea what in the tune could be causing it?
Sponsored