Used Supra Buying Guide

driverx2010

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTR
Hey guys, I'm a new member to the forum and currently a 2015 GT-R owner. These last couple of years the MKV Supra has really caught my attention even though I didn't like it at all when it first came out.

I'm currently looking to possibly buy a used Supra, but wanted to ask you all things to look for when buying a used one and what years you would all recommend.

My plan would be to tune the car if not already tuned by the previous owner. My understanding is that the 2021-2022 years have some oil consumption issues.
Are there anything else that you would recommend looking at on the car prior to purchase? Maybe a leakdown test especially on already tuned cars?
Is the 2020 lower power figures a reason to go with a newer year? (I understand if tuned it really doesn't matter).

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback you all can provide.
Thanks.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Mine is a 2020 (bought new) and have not done the recall on purpose.. so it's fully flashable out of the gate for the next owner when it comes time to sell..it will be a while though. I run JB4 (plenty of power for me) and Eventuri intake for decoration. I left the exhaust alone since it pops and bangs real nice in stock form. :love: I bimmer coded out the auto start on/off.

I recommend you get the AT.. and I have always been an MT guy and still drive my manual 4 banger turbo's. I have a 4 car garage and big driveway so space has never been an issue..

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium (Nocturnal, Automatic)
I have a 2023 3.0 Premium (20,500 mi) I'm planning to let go of soon. Bought new. Let me know if you want more info. Although, these are locked ECU's you would probably have to ship out to unlock.

BadDecisions

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LS Swapped FRS, 3000gt VR4, 2020 Supra
Strictly for me, tuning on ECUTEK was a must-have which limits your search pretty hard. Essentially 2020 only... there are some 6 port cars that got the early ECU's tho.

I'm not knocking MHD or JB4 or the rest of them, I just prefer ECUTEK personally. I've done the piggyback stuff on the 90's cars for years, but nothing beats going to the source and changing it to let it control the car as initially intended.

Only other big factor to really consider is manual vs auto, which obviously means 2023+. Otherwise the cars don't change much through the years. Some interior/exterior color options on later years the earlier ones didn't have I guess.

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2018 4Runner Limited
Mine is a 2021, and no oil consumption.

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
Hey guys, I'm a new member to the forum and currently a 2015 GT-R owner.
Guy comes in and says he drives the car I wanted / want next.
Lets trade partner. Im even in Cleveland today! 😆
Sponsored