• Total voters

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
All model years and trims of both 3.0 and 2.0 seem to be holding their values quite well. The platform has shown to more reliable than expected, too - no doubt due to Toyota's decision to go with older (and better sorted) interface, electrical systems, etc.

Second buyer probably won't enjoy traditional depreciation curve of other BMWs, meaning not much appreciable difference buying new versus used, but shouldn't see high cost of ownership, either. Manuals will probably hold their value the best as volume is low.
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
You maybe have to invest like 1k for looking for a car and some time to travel but if it can safe you like 5k that’s a good deal I think.
Agreed. I've driven 3+ hours to see a car, come home, taken a train and Uber to pick it up, and drove it home. I've trailered cars home. Whatever I have to do. I have purchased ONE car, locally, within the last 15yrs. I always travel to save money.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I voted yes worth it but wait. Carmax, Carvana, trade ins and everything show the car dropping ( caravan now says my 2020 is worth 41k, 9 months ago 51k) and you are now seeing some go for under 50k from people wanting to sell quickly. At this point you’re right there where the price is dropping. I bought mine in 21 for 56k. But it already had about 15k in parts so I was good with flying to Houston from Vegas and picking it up driving it home and it’s the best car I’ve owned so far. So yeah I think a used Supra is worth it, I’d just wait a little longer and see how much the prices drop.

Unless, of course, you have that money where you don’t care if you buy now and in 6-12 months the cars is 5k cheaper. But I think if you were in that situation you wouldn’t be asking this.

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
As always, this is highly dependant on personal circumstances, I think it's down to how wealthy you are and what the Supra means to you.

For some, the Supra is a dream car, you save up and buy it brand spanking new to ensure it's kept pristine for many years, engine break in properly done, etc. You don't daily it, you get a manual, and drive your shitty automatic honda to work.

There's a second demographic, of which I read a lot of posts here from people who 'supposedly' must be some sort of millionaires, or, cars must be much cheaper in US vs EU... and for them, the Supra is just one of many toys in their toys box, so there's no real attachment to it or intention to keep it long term as a 'special car', for that second category of people I'd argue, what on earth is the point of paying that extra dosh to get it brand new if it's just another hooker?
There’s a third. I fall in between I definitely keep it clean and take care of it, but ride the shit out of it, and floor it everywhere I go. No it’s not stock it’s definitely not a hooker that’s my baby. God damn it were kinky and shit don’t be calling my car a hooker LMAAAOOOO. Even with all that Im planning on keeping it around for a long long long time.

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
True. For context, I'm not planning on doing anything too crazy with the car. I imagine I'd be satisfied with stock power, maybe a JB4. These cars are plenty fast enough on the street as is for me. Downpipes/Intake would be nice for the sound though.
My advice don't buy a used one if you’re planning on keeping semi stock or completely stock. Say Downpipe and Jb4 is an amazing setup. You don’t have to deal with someone else’s problems.

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also, you say this NOW. A lot of us said the same thing, but as the story goes, one tiny mod leads to more and more. I have always said "I'm gonna leave this car alone." No car I have ever owned, did I ever leave alone haha.

As others and myself have said, it is not a good time to buy a car right now. Financing and APRs are bad rn. Once again, it's all up to you and YOUR finances though. But those are some of the reasons to take with a grain of salt.
Two ways to go about it. You either lie to yourself about not modding and get yourself into debt or you don’t lie to yourself about modding and still get yourself into debt.

brucebigbro

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0
As always, this is highly dependant on personal circumstances, I think it's down to how wealthy you are and what the Supra means to you.

For some, the Supra is a dream car, you save up and buy it brand spanking new to ensure it's kept pristine for many years, engine break in properly done, etc. You don't daily it, you get a manual, and drive your shitty automatic honda to work.

There's a second demographic, of which I read a lot of posts here from people who 'supposedly' must be some sort of millionaires, or, cars must be much cheaper in US vs EU... and for them, the Supra is just one of many toys in their toys box, so there's no real attachment to it or intention to keep it long term as a 'special car', for that second category of people I'd argue, what on earth is the point of paying that extra dosh to get it brand new if it's just another hooker?
buying brand new means less possibility to have problems on the track. spilling oil on the track is very very expensive and would wasted every one’s time and fun.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
I only buy new cars so used isn`t even a choice. The only car I would buy used is if I was buying from a friend or family member.

Today`s market makes specially with the supra makes them less appealing. People here spending close to MSRP for a used supra really shock me.

OP
OP

supra_hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 Infiniti G35
Thanks for all the replies and votes, especially the ones with explanations. This will be my first time where I'm able to buy a car anywhere near this price or level, so it's nice to hear what actual owners have to say about what they think of the market. I know you guys can't make a decision for me, just trying to do my due diligence and you've all been very helpful.

OP
OP

supra_hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 Infiniti G35
I voted yes worth it but wait. Carmax, Carvana, trade ins and everything show the car dropping ( caravan now says my 2020 is worth 41k, 9 months ago 51k) and you are now seeing some go for under 50k from people wanting to sell quickly. At this point you’re right there where the price is dropping. I bought mine in 21 for 56k. But it already had about 15k in parts so I was good with flying to Houston from Vegas and picking it up driving it home and it’s the best car I’ve owned so far. So yeah I think a used Supra is worth it, I’d just wait a little longer and see how much the prices drop.

Unless, of course, you have that money where you don’t care if you buy now and in 6-12 months the cars is 5k cheaper. But I think if you were in that situation you wouldn’t be asking this.
I know from a different thread in the for sale section you mentioned what you think these cars would be worth if not for the COVID market, and it seems like Carvana agrees with you.

I know I should expect to lose money on any car purchase, but my concern is potentially buying a used car that's going to depreciate like a new car.

At the same time, when does the market eventually normalize? I could be driving the car around for 3 years and sell it for 50k again, who knows. đŸ€·â€â™‚ïž

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Edmunds and Caredge provide free depreciation forecasts for most popular models. KBB can also give an idea of resale value and helpful to ballpark cost to own each year.

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
I was lied to when buying my used Supra. I was told it wasn’t tuned. 3 days on this forum after purchase and I realized the truth. It was unlocked/BM3 tuned, catless DP, armaspeed intake and Mbrp valved exhaust. Oh and H&R lowering springs. So I decided to do the brake recall and reset/relock the DME. Had an oil consumption test done (neg result) Sold the cattless DP and replaced with AA catted, then added JB4 with map 6 by Debears. Found the previous owner buy calling the shop that installed the exhaust (listed on carfax report), and convinced them to give me the previous owner s number. We talked at a cars and coffee. Got the history of the car. 5K miles later I have no regrets. It was a bit of journey
 point is, you’re doing your research and already a step ahead of me. Just make sure to really inspect the car before buying if you decide to purchase a pre owned.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I was lied to when buying my used Supra. I was told it wasn’t tuned. 3 days on this forum after purchase and I realized the truth. It was unlocked/BM3 tuned, catless DP, armaspeed intake and Mbrp valved exhaust. Oh and H&R lowering springs. So I decided to do the brake recall and reset/relock the DME. Had an oil consumption test done (neg result) Sold the cattless DP and replaced with AA catted, then added JB4 with map 6 by Debears. Found the previous owner buy calling the shop that installed the exhaust (listed on carfax report), and convinced them to give me the previous owner s number. We talked at a cars and coffee. Got the history of the car. 5K miles later I have no regrets. It was a bit of journey
 point is, you’re doing your research and already a step ahead of me. Just make sure to really inspect the car before buying if you decide to purchase a pre owned.
Why didn't you keep BM3? better tuning capabilities than a JB4.

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bro question is, how did all this fly by you. The intake, the dp, the exhaust, and the unlock?? How did you miss it??
Why didn't you keep BM3? better tuning capabilities than a JB4.
Also this why switch to JB4? It's already out of warranty if it was DME unlocked.

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
New or Used you’re going to be impacted by current rates. If you buy something now and rates drop you can always refinance. If rates go up you’re protected from further rate increases. Find the car you want and buy it, we all know rates aren’t dropping to past levels anytime in the near future.
Sponsored