Is it worth paying extra for a 2020 Launch Edition?

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I ended up buying a 2021! Mostly due to the insane asking prices for used 20s when this 21 was brand new and cheaper.

At first (and mostly due to $$$ and me wanting to spend it on other things) I'll probably only do Intake/DP/Exhaust/JB4 when it comes to performance mods. I kinda want to preserve the warranty for a little bit.
Fingers crossed ? that itā€™s not one of the oil sucking ones.....
Sponsored

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Yep that's what I was waiting to do! I was wondering if I should change my oil at 1200-1500 though and switch to 5w30 or stick with 0w20 for the first oil change just to know if I have it since 5w30 could mask the issue
I am surprised more people arenā€™t using 0w30 or 0w40 oil. The first number is for when the oil is cold(first startup) and then second is when the oil is hot (which is the most important) On cold cranking, you want the thinnest oil weight so it lubricates the turbo/motor faster.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Yep that's what I was waiting to do! I was wondering if I should change my oil at 1200-1500 though and switch to 5w30 or stick with 0w20 for the first oil change just to know if I have it since 5w30 could mask the issue

If it were me I would wait until 1500 miles to decide which path to take.

If you get the low oil level message before 1500 then you know its a problem car. Its best to take to the dealer at that point to have it documented.

If your car still reads at the max fill line at 1500 then I would switch to either the 0w-30 or 5w-30 if temps get close to 100ā€™F where you live.

When you drain the oil you should have a little more than 6 quarts in the drain pan.

And by all means donā€™t drive it like a granny for the first 1500 miles!!

You donā€™t have to bounce off the rev limiter but get more aggressive with it every 300 miles.

Good luck.

RJM

OP
OP

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Fingers crossed ? that itā€™s not one of the oil sucking ones.....
This singular issue is the biggest reason I was considering the 2020 for so long but ultimately I donā€™t want to pay $10k more than

I am surprised more people arenā€™t using 0w30 or 0w40 oil. The first number is for when the oil is cold(first startup) and then second is when the oil is hot (which is the most important) On cold cranking, you want the thinnest oil weight so it lubricates the turbo/motor faster.
Itā€™s not a big issue for me, Iā€™d just drive slowly and let it warm up on startup which should alleviate the issue right?

If it were me I would wait until 1500 miles to decide which path to take.

If you get the low oil level message before 1500 then you know its a problem car. Its best to take to the dealer at that point to have it documented.

If your car still reads at the max fill line at 1500 then I would switch to either the 0w-30 or 5w-30 if temps get close to 100ā€™F where you live.

When you drain the oil you should have a little more than 6 quarts in the drain pan.

And by all means donā€™t drive it like a granny for the first 1500 miles!!

You donā€™t have to bounce off the rev limiter but get more aggressive with it every 300 miles.

Good luck.

RJM
Yeah thatā€™s what Iā€™m planning to do atm, Iā€™ll be disappointed if Iā€™m affected but I definitely plan on driving it like I stole it for the 650 mile drive home haha

Iā€™m not sure about the temps though as Iā€™m in Georgia so it hardly ever reaches 100 degrees here (well I hope, I just moved here so Iā€™ve never experienced a summer here). If Floridaā€™s any indication I might be good though
Sponsored