Is a used Supra worth it?

Is buying used worth it?

• Total voters

supra_hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 Infiniti G35
I know there are a lot of guys on this forum who would never have anything other than a Supra they have been the first to fart in, but I have always been told buying new is something you let the rich people do. Then you buy a 1-3 year old car and let them take the depreciation hit.

Problem is, 2020 3.0 Premiums with under 30k miles are still being listed for 53k+. At that point, is it even worth it to buy used? If you say no, at what price/mileage would you consider buying used? I know the used car market has been inflated as of late, but I thought that had calmed down since the end of the pandemic.
Sponsored

OP
OP

supra_hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 Infiniti G35
2020 is a lot easier to tune. Depends on your plans for the car. They have been updated year over year.
True. For context, I'm not planning on doing anything too crazy with the car. I imagine I'd be satisfied with stock power, maybe a JB4. These cars are plenty fast enough on the street as is for me. Downpipes/Intake would be nice for the sound though.

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
My personal opinion: I don't think its worth it to buy used right at this moment, unless you have the disposable income to buy it outright or don't care about paying tons of interest on financing it. Financing is no longer cheap and APRs on used vehicles are pretty high at the moment.

If you're looking at 2020s, i think there are a few of them with small infotainment screens, and weird random things they phased out in later years - but the 2020s are tunable, so hence they probably go for more.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
Only you can decide what is worth it for you depending on the value youā€™re getting for the price. If youā€™re ok with the price of a current used Supra that meets your criteria in terms of condition/history, who is anyone else to tell you to wait?

Also, side note, lots of personal finance advice is dumbed down for the masses. Rich people do a lot of things contrary to your typical advice. Not saying itā€™s appropriate to ignore ā€œrules of thumbā€, but donā€™t always take it as appropriate for every single situation ever.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
True. For context, I'm not planning on doing anything too crazy with the car. I imagine I'd be satisfied with stock power, maybe a JB4. These cars are plenty fast enough on the street as is for me. Downpipes/Intake would be nice for the sound though.
Also, you say this NOW. A lot of us said the same thing, but as the story goes, one tiny mod leads to more and more. I have always said "I'm gonna leave this car alone." No car I have ever owned, did I ever leave alone haha.

As others and myself have said, it is not a good time to buy a car right now. Financing and APRs are bad rn. Once again, it's all up to you and YOUR finances though. But those are some of the reasons to take with a grain of salt.

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
^ agree with @B58_ hwAyaq and @SuupYota. My above post is just my personal opinion that its just generally a bad time to buy used.

That said, I'm on the hunt for another lightly used sports car to bring home myself and if I could find one in good condition and at a decent price I'd buy it today. Is that the smartest use of my money? Probably not, but it's something that I want.

Ultimately, no matter what anyone says, its your money, your finances, so your decision.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
As always, this is highly dependant on personal circumstances, I think it's down to how wealthy you are and what the Supra means to you.

For some, the Supra is a dream car, you save up and buy it brand spanking new to ensure it's kept pristine for many years, engine break in properly done, etc. You don't daily it, you get a manual, and drive your shitty automatic honda to work.

There's a second demographic, of which I read a lot of posts here from people who 'supposedly' must be some sort of millionaires, or, cars must be much cheaper in US vs EU... and for them, the Supra is just one of many toys in their toys box, so there's no real attachment to it or intention to keep it long term as a 'special car', for that second category of people I'd argue, what on earth is the point of paying that extra dosh to get it brand new if it's just another hooker?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
that second category of people I'd argue, what on earth is the point of paying that extra dosh to get it brand new if it's just another hooker?
People with money just want what they want. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
2020 is a lot easier to tune. Depends on your plans for the car. They have been updated year over year.
I'll say it, the 2020 needs a tune just to keep pace with the 2021-2023. 47hp is a big bump, and the suspension is vastly improved as well.

In before "BuT tHe 2021s BuRn OiL!" Get outta here with that crap. We're halfway to 2024 now. The ones that did burn a concerning amount of oil have had their engines replaced or were bought back and taken out of circulation.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
If the price points are close enough and it's not going to hurt your wallet much, may as well get new.
If it will, save some $$ and get used.
Either way would work for me, if I were buying.

AyeBird

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bagged 9th gen Accord and hopefully, an A90.
for that second category of people I'd argue, what on earth is the point of paying that extra dosh to get it brand new if it's just another hooker?
Iā€™m not speaking as somebody who has money like that, but as somebody whoā€™s experienced buying new and used cars, I can see the argument that itā€™s best to experience a car when itā€™s brand new vs used because you have the option to spec a car to your preference vs having to settle for whatā€™s already on the used market which, in my opinion, is worth spending extra. Plus with a new car, you have the option to lease so, you can see if the car fits into your lifestyle and if it does, then you have the option to buy it out and if not, then you can give the car back to the dealer and try out another car.

Razors Edge

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
F
As always, this is highly dependant on personal circumstances, I think it's down to how wealthy you are and what the Supra means to you.

For some, the Supra is a dream car, you save up and buy it brand spanking new to ensure it's kept pristine for many years, engine break in properly done, etc. You don't daily it, you get a manual, and drive your shitty automatic honda to work.

There's a second demographic, of which I read a lot of posts here from people who 'supposedly' must be some sort of millionaires, or, cars must be much cheaper in US vs EU... and for them, the Supra is just one of many toys in their toys box, so there's no real attachment to it or intention to keep it long term as a 'special car', for that second category of people I'd argue, what on earth is the point of paying that extra dosh to get it brand new if it's just another hooker?
Funny, I drive my 6 speed manual GR86 daily for work and my GR Supra premium 8 speed auto is for the weekend and fun occasion car that stays in the garage, lol. Paid cash for both of them, interest rates are crazy.

BigRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5 A90
If you are already planning to get a tune try to get a 2020 model :D
You wonā€™t be satisfied with JB4 when there is so much more power to squeeze out of this amazing engine.

When looking for a car I always look outside of cities and crowded areas. The cars are usually a lot cheaper.
You maybe have to invest like 1k for looking for a car and some time to travel but if it can safe you like 5k thatā€™s a good deal I think.
And when driving back for a long range you will see when there is something wrong with the car.
It works this way where Iā€™m living at at least :)
Sponsored