Weird helicopter noise / sound from the cabin rear

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
So I just noticed a weird noise from inside the cabin. Sounds like a helicopter, and oddly it seemed to come from the back of the cabin
. It’s happened twice now, noticed it while the car was stopped and idling, no radio on.

I googled and found this thread and video :
X3 forum- Helicopter sound when idling
YouTube video

the sound in the video is exactly what I heard in my car. But weird thing is, I heard it after filling up the gas tank on both instances.

Has anyone else experienced this noise in your Supra?
Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Sounds LPFP-related to me.

OP
OP
Motorknut

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sounds LPFP-related to me.
I’m wondering the same. I have had an occasional long crank start up, and thinking it could be related to the LPFP. Maybe the pump is starting to deteriorate.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
I also had a weird helicopter noise coming from the rear of my car.
Turned out to be the cop chasing me doing 160 mph;)

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
So I just noticed a weird noise from inside the cabin. Sounds like a helicopter, and oddly it seemed to come from the back of the cabin
. It’s happened twice now, noticed it while the car was stopped and idling, no radio on.

I googled and found this thread and video :
X3 forum- Helicopter sound when idling
YouTube video

the sound in the video is exactly what I heard in my car. But weird thing is, I heard it after filling up the gas tank on both instances.

Has anyone else experienced this noise in your Supra?
Did you ever find out what it is? I'm having the same issue, same noise except car is throwing P0450 gas tank leakage low circuit code.

OP
OP
Motorknut

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Did you ever find out what it is? I'm having the same issue, same noise except car is throwing P0450 gas tank leakage low circuit code.
I read a BMW note svc bulletin about fuel tank noise, and tried releasing filler cap and retightening. Noise went away. It occasionally reoccurs after I fill up the gas tank but I figure it’s just the same thing.

I didn’t have any gas tank error messages thrown tho.

Bulletin excerpt below.

SITUATION
SITUATION
While driving slowly with low RPM or while idling, a faint knocking or fluttering noise can be heard from inside the fuel tank. The customer may describe this noise as a “helicopter” noise from the rear of the vehicle.
CAUSE
Pressure fluctuations from the tank ventilation valve will cause the fuel tank filler pipe non-return valve to vibrate. In some cases the vibration can be heard inside the vehicle.
PROCEDURE
1. Duplicate the customer complaint.
Release the fuel filler cap while the noise is occurring (engine running). Is the noise eliminated by removing the fuel cap?
Yes - Go to step 2.
No - Go to step 3.
2. Reprogram the vehicle with ISTA 4.17.1X or higher.
• The target integration level will be F020-19-03-540 or higher
• 4.17.1x available late April 2019
• Always connect a BMW-approved battery charger/power supply (SI B04 23 10).
• For information on programming and coding with ISTA, refer to CenterNet / TIS / Technical Documentation / Programming and Diagnostics / Programming Documentation
3. If the noise continues with the fuel cap removed, then the noise may be related to the fuel pump itself. Continue troubleshooting to isolate the root cause and repair the vehicle as needed.

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
I read a BMW note svc bulletin about fuel tank noise, and tried releasing filler cap and retightening. Noise went away. It occasionally reoccurs after I fill up the gas tank but I figure it’s just the same thing.

I didn’t have any gas tank error messages thrown tho.

Bulletin excerpt below.

SITUATION
SITUATION
While driving slowly with low RPM or while idling, a faint knocking or fluttering noise can be heard from inside the fuel tank. The customer may describe this noise as a “helicopter” noise from the rear of the vehicle.
CAUSE
Pressure fluctuations from the tank ventilation valve will cause the fuel tank filler pipe non-return valve to vibrate. In some cases the vibration can be heard inside the vehicle.
PROCEDURE
1. Duplicate the customer complaint.
Release the fuel filler cap while the noise is occurring (engine running). Is the noise eliminated by removing the fuel cap?
Yes - Go to step 2.
No - Go to step 3.
2. Reprogram the vehicle with ISTA 4.17.1X or higher.
• The target integration level will be F020-19-03-540 or higher
• 4.17.1x available late April 2019
• Always connect a BMW-approved battery charger/power supply (SI B04 23 10).
• For information on programming and coding with ISTA, refer to CenterNet / TIS / Technical Documentation / Programming and Diagnostics / Programming Documentation
3. If the noise continues with the fuel cap removed, then the noise may be related to the fuel pump itself. Continue troubleshooting to isolate the root cause and repair the vehicle as needed.
How's your situation now? Still getting the noise? Any CEL's?

OP
OP
Motorknut

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How's your situation now? Still getting the noise? Any CEL's?
It comes back occasionally but I tried following the BMW notice and the noise goes away when I open the filler cap and close it again. Only occurs after filling the tank. No other error codes.

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
It comes back occasionally but I tried following the BMW notice and the noise goes away when I open the filler cap and close it again. Only occurs after filling the tank. No other error codes.
It's such a stupid system, lol
Check out my EVAP thread... I did a little deep dive into. ;)
Only difference between me and you is i'm getting a CEL, P0450, BMW specific, 194808, and the noise comes and goes, full, medium, low tank.
Sponsored