Manual Supra 1st and 2nd gear weird sound.

kylekay24

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1992 GTR
This doesn’t happen all the time but sometimes it does, and only with 1st and 2nd gear. But when I release the clutch and start to accelerate back on the gas I hear this weird rev like sound, it’s not the motor because the motor revs as well but the B58 has a distinct tone and it’s different from what I hearing with the trans. The gears feel fine so I have no idea what it is but only happens between 1st and 2nd. Idk if it’s grinding or scratching.
Sponsored

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
you gonna need to either take it to the dealer or at least take a video of it and post it here.

FlammasWRLD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 NB Miata - 2024 Red 3.0 Premium MT - Ninja400
This doesn’t happen all the time but sometimes it does, and only with 1st and 2nd gear. But when I release the clutch and start to accelerate back on the gas I hear this weird rev like sound, it’s not the motor because the motor revs as well but the B58 has a distinct tone and it’s different from what I hearing with the trans. The gears feel fine so I have no idea what it is but only happens between 1st and 2nd. Idk if it’s grinding or scratching.
Do you feel any differences in the clutch pedal when this happens? without a video of the sound its hard to really say.

OP
OP

kylekay24

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1992 GTR
Do you feel any differences in the clutch pedal when this happens? without a video of the sound its hard to really say.
No I don’t, maybe a little vibration but nothing really. Also since it doesn’t happen all the time it’ll be hard to capture a video. I pretty much have to wait for it to do it.

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, Defender, Rx400h
Is the noise coming from a specific location?

OP
OP

kylekay24

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1992 GTR
Is the noise coming from a specific location?
[/QUOTE
Not that I can tell, just sometimes as I start to release the clutch and press the accelerator in 1st or 2nd I’ll hear it. I tried playing around with how fast or how slow I’m releasing the clutch and that seems to make the difference but best way I can describe the sound is line when you sharpen a knife on a rolling stone or when the dentist uses a filer. Lol, I’m not dumping the clutch or anything though.

Zoomie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 RSX, 2021 4Runner, 2023 GR Supra 3.0MT
Are you in normal or sport?

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
If this happens when you are lugging the engine at all it may just be gear rattle. So releasing the clutch and when you get on the throttle the engine is quite low down in it's operating rev range. I'm speaking here from experience in other vehicles as I don't have mine yet but it's a gearbox harmonic situation. It can happen lugging an engine in high gears as well and you accelerate even gently. You should try to avoid that. If you are driving it in a purposeful manner with plenty of revs on board when you let the clutch out then what I'm saying doesn't really apply.

Phil

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure about the sound, but 1 to 2 shift in this car is atrocious.
What about when you shift at say 5000rpm and don't baby it. Still bad? Typically these gearboxes that are designed to take relatively high power and torque need some road speed to help the syncros work. The Tremec T56 is one such box although Tremec refer to it as a " medium duty" gearbox. Drive it around short shifting it and it's balky and not great. Get the engine revving which equates to more road speed and bang it through the gate and it's a lot better.

Phil

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
3 to 2 under load is pretty bad for me. Buttonwillow cw13 off ramp 3-2 downshift and streets of willow skidpad 3-2 downshift are missed more often than not. Miss meaning it won't go in to second at all and I am forced to use third.

I think what I am doing is pulling the level too far to the left and actually engaging the reverse area (without engaging reverse of course) which locks out second gear. Gonna try in a more aware and lighter way next time around to see if it makes a difference.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
What about when you shift at say 5000rpm and don't baby it Still bad?

Phil
Yeah.. I think it's actually worse when trying to give it the beans. The thing is that every now and then the change is actually great.. but for the life of me I can't pin down what (if anything) is different about that change.

A lot of people keep shouting about the CDV delete and while I am not convinced this will help, I might try it just because the 1-2 shift action as it stands completely ruins it for me.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah.. I think it's actually worse when trying to give it the beans. The thing is that every now and then the change is actually great.. but for the life of me I can't pin down what (if anything) is different about that change.

A lot of people keep shouting about the CDV delete and while I am not convinced this will help, I might try it just because the 1-2 shift action as it stands completely ruins it for me.
Yea thats not unusual. It's just that the syncro sleeve and the syncro teeth happen to align and it slips in nice. Same as when you do a clutchless change and match the revs well it just slides into the next gear. I'm a CDV sceptic as well but I'd be interested to know the outcome if you remove it.
I bet it changes better when the gearbox is hot as well.

Phil

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Yea thats not unusual. It's just that the syncro sleeve and the syncro teeth happen to align and it slips in nice. Same as when you do a clutchless change and match the revs well it just slides into the next gear. I'm a CDV sceptic as well but I'd be interested to know the outcome if you remove it.
I bet it changes better when the gearbox is hot as well.

Phil
I honestly haven't driven it enough to provide concrete information - I'm just over 3000km at the moment - but it just feels shit. It feels like getting a gear shift completely wrong, except you didn't; you were smooth as butter but the car just hates you.

And for the record, I don't consider myself a perfect manual driver! Every so often I fuck up a change in my other car but when I do, I'm fully aware that I messed up: Maybe I got lazy with my foot action or wasn't paying attention or generally just mistimed it all.

In the Supra, it just happens because fuck you. 😂
Sponsored