What are the advantages of buying used right now?

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
FWIW.

I was looking at a 2021 Supra (March '21 production date) with 1200 miles on it from Carmax that was being listed for 60,999. They offered their MaxCare warranty for an extra $2,150 to cover the vehicle for 150K total vehicle miles or 5 years, whichever came first. $50 deductible plan. In comparison a Camry's warranty plan was like $1,700~

Talking to the salesman, it seems that Carmax hasn't "caught" onto the fact that these should be treated as a BMW in terms of offering the warranty and could definitely be worth buying used. In comparison a dealer here wanted me to pay $5K markup on a 'leftover' 2021 car.

Pay $63K~ for a new car @ 3.95% APR or pay $63K for a "used" car with 1,200 miles and @ 4.25% APR but with a warranty up to 150K mi/5 yr...
I don`t think that is necessary true though. We probably are not subject to BMW dealership pricing. Same reason why its cheaper to service a BMW at a independent shop. Need to factor in dealership mark up on parts and labor.
Sponsored

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
I don`t think that is necessary true though. We probably are not subject to BMW dealership pricing. Same reason why its cheaper to service a BMW at a independent shop. Need to factor in dealership mark up on parts and labor.
But at the end of the day you are still sourcing BMW parts, on a low production count car.

We haven't seen any high mileage Supra's that have crossed the 60K mark, but I would not be surprised to see typical BMW issues where the entire cooling system is considered a maintenance cost, up to and including thermostats and water pumps.

Also, depending on how close you are with your mechanic, and they happen to be on repairpal.com as an authorized shop for CarMax, there is definitely some games to be played.

The salesman I was discussing with even mentioned flashing the car back to stock and going back to stock exhaust before the shop contacts CarMax for big ticket repairs....

It's like when Range Rover warranties were in the $3,000 range for 6 years, but now they are like $10,000+ for 5 years. Too main claims and losses so the prices go up. New car like the Supra and it's being undervalued at the moment.

Food for thought.

OP
OP

bittermelon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru Outback
But at the end of the day you are still sourcing BMW parts, on a low production count car.

We haven't seen any high mileage Supra's that have crossed the 60K mark, but I would not be surprised to see typical BMW issues where the entire cooling system is considered a maintenance cost, up to and including thermostats and water pumps.

Also, depending on how close you are with your mechanic, and they happen to be on repairpal.com as an authorized shop for CarMax, there is definitely some games to be played.

The salesman I was discussing with even mentioned flashing the car back to stock and going back to stock exhaust before the shop contacts CarMax for big ticket repairs....

It's like when Range Rover warranties were in the $3,000 range for 6 years, but now they are like $10,000+ for 5 years. Too main claims and losses so the prices go up. New car like the Supra and it's being undervalued at the moment.

Food for thought.
Good thinking-- will try to keep this in mind. Although Carmax kinda lowballed me on my Outback today lol

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
Good thinking-- will try to keep this in mind. Although Carmax kinda lowballed me on my Outback today lol
My experience with Vroom, CarMax and Carvana is that whatever they offer you, a local dealer will typically offer 10-15% more to buy your vehicle outright or as trade-in. I just recently sold my 2019 Lexus ES350 F-sport with 53K miles on the odo, 1 significant accident on file (sister borrowed my car and pancaked it into her boyfriend's 4runner) that was $4K~ away from being declared a total loss, and with about $2K in upcoming repairs and maintenace.

6 months and 10K miles ago, the car was evaluated to be worth $21.5K from CarMax and Vroom, my local Lexus dealer offered me $23K. Last week Vroom offered $27.6K, CarMax $28K and Lexus offered me $30K. Sold the car to Lexus and didn't even look back, now I'm just waiting for an allocation for a '22 Supra.

My advice is to try and stick to the more upmarket brands and dealers to get a true appraisal that won't bend you over backwards.

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
Please close this thread already. Just ask yourself if you want to be the first person to fart in the car or smell other peoples fart in the car.

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
My experience with Vroom, CarMax and Carvana is that whatever they offer you, a local dealer will typically offer 10-15% more to buy your vehicle outright or as trade-in. I just recently sold my 2019 Lexus ES350 F-sport with 53K miles on the odo, 1 significant accident on file (sister borrowed my car and pancaked it into her boyfriend's 4runner) that was $4K~ away from being declared a total loss, and with about $2K in upcoming repairs and maintenace.

6 months and 10K miles ago, the car was evaluated to be worth $21.5K from CarMax and Vroom, my local Lexus dealer offered me $23K. Last week Vroom offered $27.6K, CarMax $28K and Lexus offered me $30K. Sold the car to Lexus and didn't even look back, now I'm just waiting for an allocation for a '22 Supra.

My advice is to try and stick to the more upmarket brands and dealers to get a true appraisal that won't bend you over backwards.
I had the opposite experience with my 2013 Prius. Dealers offered $7500, Carmax $10,000, Carvana $14,100. I bought it used in 2016 for $18000

Reactions: zrk

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
I had the opposite experience with my 2013 Prius. Dealers offered $7500, Carmax $10,000, Carvana $14,100. I bought it used in 2016 for $18000
I feel like I was able to sell my vehicle for higher since it could still be reconditioned to a certified vehicle. I've noticed that once a car hits 5 years old, the depreciation starts to slow down since it's at the bottom end of it's value.

kanpen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FX35 FZ09 Supra A91
I personally think there is no advantage to buying used in this market but seems to be only a slight advantage to buying new depending on the vehicle/circumstances. I haven't been shopping since I traded my Supra for my brand new '21 M2 Comp that I equate to finding a needle in a haystack. That haystack being in CO and having it shipped as part of the trade/deal (local sale/trade in AZ for Supra and shipped from CO for the M2). I was able to get the M2 at MSRP due to extremely low stock for a last year model with an extremely rare 6-speed option (no longer accepting orders at the time) and due to me having a trade-in (they always win on your trade and this was another way for them to make more profit). Every M2 was pretty much spoken for off of pre-orders, and the 1-2 I found that were not, were marked up like crazy. Used ones were going for as much, if not more, than what I paid for mine.

Despite this, I was able to use a few things to my advantage. In AZ/CO, they have a trade-in tax credit and I was able to save about $3-4k in taxes. On top of that, I got about a year and a half of free car registration due to an MVD error (don't ask but they definitely F'd up). Plus I got my registration credit back from my Supra because I had just paid it before getting rid of it. Overall, a lot of things fell in my favor and was happy with the end result.

To add to what others have said, cars are a money pit. I've only owned a few where I have gone out and spent a few hundred on small accessories but most are in the thousands. I am more of a visual mods person with new cars that are under warranty but I have spent thousands on wheels and visual mods and accessories to individualize them. Already I've spent around $6k on visual mods/accessories (wheels/exhaust) on the M2 but being a car enthusiast is one of my main hobbies and rarely have regrets with what I spend.

Just do whatever makes you happy but also try to exercise some patience to avoid overpaying in this crazy market. Also, do what I and a lot of others do and look outside your local market because other neighboring states may be more willing to deal and not overcharge.
How’s the M2 comp compare to the Supra? I’ve been thinking about making a
Similar transition.

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
Update.

Secured a '20 3.0 Premium in Nitro Yellow with 2700~ miles on the odo, $55,998. $2,150 for the warranty for 5 years/150k miles. Just waiting for the title to arrive in the mail before CarMax can legally sell me the vehicle.

Paying MSRP for a 100% tunable car and with a warranty was a no brainer for me.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Update.

Secured a '20 3.0 Premium in Nitro Yellow with 2700~ miles on the odo, $55,998. $2,150 for the warranty for 5 years/150k miles. Just waiting for the title to arrive in the mail before CarMax can legally sell me the vehicle.

and no oil burning issues lol

Khysor

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota supra mk5 3.0
Please close this thread already. Just ask yourself if you want to be the first person to fart in the car or smell other peoples fart in the car.
? I wonder how many times the previous owner farted in mine, over the one year he had it and 300 miles he put on it.

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
? I wonder how many times the previous owner farted in mine, over the one year he had it and 300 miles he put on it.
I fart at least one time per ride. I have 21k miles now.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
Just curious, are you not worried about taking a huge depreciation hit in a year or 2?

obviously normally a 2 year old car should be well under MSRP.

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra

I'll sell you my 2022 white 3.0 premium for $60k. Only 950 miles.

andyy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Update.

I did something similar a few months ago. picked up an early tunable 2021 with ~500 miles for the same price $55,998, and paid an extra $1359 for a 5 year/100k mile service plan from CarMax. Plus DCU financed the car at 1.49%/65 months so no regrets picking up a used one.
Sponsored