What are the advantages of buying used right now?

bittermelon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru Outback
Is it just availability? I've been looking at Toyota Supras and noticed that all the used cars are pretty much at retail price or even more in some cases. Granted there are way fewer new cars but am I missing something here? I live in SoCal and want to get rid of my less than a year old Outback but I don't know what the best way to go about it is.
Sponsored

Rando75

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is it just availability?
I'd say it's market dependent but if you're in CA then yes, availability. And whether you want it now.

I was looking at Supras last month. There weren't many on the lots and the few dealers who did have one wanted thousands in mark up. Paid MSRP for a low mile used one instead.

As for selling your Outback, get quotes from Carvana, Vroom and the likes.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 RB A91, 2020 X3M, 2006 S2000
2020s and some 2021s are tunable w/o a trip to The Mother Land.
This was a large part of why I recently bought used. Found a tunable A91 in a color I love (Refraction Blue), already had PPF/ceramic and a few mods that I'd planned to do immediately on a new '22. Spent a bit over MSRP but overall saved myself 5-10k overall for what I got versus what I had planned.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Well I have a 2020 Launch edition that is all broken in. You don't have to wait the break in period before sending it! Just get right in and floor it.

I won't even charge for that break in labor. Is that cool or what. I love used cars

Reactions: zrk

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
If i live that shit state called california where gas is $5 a gallon, I wouldn’t even look for a Supra. You’ll probably get a ticket for the stock exhaust in sport mode from the nazi police who work for mrs. Skeleton up in SF.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
To summarize:
  • immediate availability vs. new
  • if you get a 2020 or early 2021, no need for the ECU to go to Russia if you want to tune
  • chances that some useful mods like PPF & ceramic may have been done by the previous owner
  • the mods that come with the car are probably cheaper than you doing it yourself, but on the flip side, you're taking on all the risk modding causes
  • chances are the break in period was done so you can push the car from day 1

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
If i live that shit state called california where gas is $5 a gallon, I wouldn’t even look for a Supra. You’ll probably get a ticket for the stock exhaust in sport mode from the nazi police who work for mrs. Skeleton up in SF.
Bro, you know most places charge $4 here right? Also.... haven't got a ticket for stock mode.

You gotta lay off that crack big dawg. There is a reason people wanna drive along PCH here in LA.

Now tell me what state you live in :p

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Bro, you know most places charge $4 here right? Also.... haven't got a ticket for stock mode.

You gotta lay off that crack big dawg. There is a reason people wanna drive along PCH here in LA.

Now tell me what state you live in :p
Trade places? :) i pay 5.199 a gallon for pump. ? thank god i run e blends but still. ?

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Trade places? :) i pay 5.199 a gallon for pump. ? thank god i run e blends but still. ?
I'm sure you got some good spots down in SD. Will also depend if you wanna use something like USA or Spirit :p I think Arco runs cheaper too.

OP- I'd go lightly used if it's better price than new. I was looking at used last year, but ended up buying new because it was cheaper if not the same price.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
e blend really doesn't save you money right?

Reactions: zrk

devnull

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra 3.0 premium, 2021 Tesla M3P
Is it just availability? I've been looking at Toyota Supras and noticed that all the used cars are pretty much at retail price or even more in some cases. Granted there are way fewer new cars but am I missing something here? I live in SoCal and want to get rid of my less than a year old Outback but I don't know what the best way to go about it is.

Not sure what it's like where you live, but from what I can see around here all dealerships are marking up new supras 10k over msrp. So a used one might make sense there, because finding one at msrp isn't an easy task (so it seems to me so far).

I do feel bad for people that pay that when this whole car bubble pops and they are left owing a lot more than their car is worth.

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
Easier to get without getting into specifics. I've made a few other posts about this topic. New ones are usually marked up so don't expect anything less then MSRP or window tint right now

Blaque Diamond Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV
To summarize:
  • immediate availability vs. new
  • if you get a 2020 or early 2021, no need for the ECU to go to Russia if you want to tune
  • chances that some useful mods like PPF & ceramic may have been done by the previous owner
  • the mods that come with the car are probably cheaper than you doing it yourself, but on the flip side, you're taking on all the risk modding causes
  • chances are the break in period was done so you can push the car from day 1
Good points raised here. There are good deals out there but there are also not-so-good ones. It always pay to do some homework
Sponsored