What are the advantages of buying used right now?

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
There arenā€™t gonna be a lot of ā€œbargains.ā€ Even the GR86s are being marked up $5k plus, and there arenā€™t that many of them yet.

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1991 325i Turbo, 2019 RC350
The used car market is awful right now for buyers. Your best bet would be to wait until the new car market stabilizes... but I've been guilty of just buying shit anyway sometimes ?ā€ā™‚

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
zero. when the market crashes you're SOL.
This doesn't even make sense. That's like saying, "Don't buy anything because it will come down in price."

There are a few reasons why getting a 2020/early 21 is better. Tuning w/o Russia is one, probably.

synolimit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
amg gts, ram 2500
This doesn't even make sense. That's like saying, "Don't buy anything because it will come down in price."

There are a few reasons why getting a 2020/early 21 is better. Tuning w/o Russia is one, probably.
how does that not make sense? cars have been a depreciating asset for 100 years. its only in the last 1 they've appreciated. so why bend over and take it up where the sun don't shine and go even more into debt or negative equity than you have to when the market corrects itself?? I've never bought a used car at retail! and even then when I sell it, im lucky to break even. buy a used car now $5-$10k over retail and be prepared to get hosed soon!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
how does that not make sense? cars have been a depreciating asset for 100 years. its only in the last 1 they've appreciated. so why bend over and take it up where the sun don't shine and go even more into debt or negative equity than you have to when the market corrects itself?? I've never bought a used car at retail! and even then when I sell it, im lucky to break even. buy a used car now $5-$10k over retail and be prepared to get hosed soon!
There are reasons that aren't money? Cars aren't an investment. They're a depreciating asset.

Potential advantages to buying used:

* Avoid Russia
* Avoid annoying break-in period
* Possibility of some cheap/free cosmetic mods that you might do yourself
* Lower compression on the 2020s
* Burbles (if that's your thing...) on the 2020
* There are more top mount kits for the 2-port
* Immediate Availability/color option (Downshift Blue ?)

I have no idea why you're comparing 'what you might sell your car for in the future' with 'what should I buy now.'

From a financial standpoint.. who cares? It's a sports car. Buy what you want for now.

synolimit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
amg gts, ram 2500
There are reasons that aren't money? Cars aren't an investment. They're a depreciating asset.

Potential advantages to buying used:

* Avoid Russia
* Avoid annoying break-in period
* Possibility of some cheap/free cosmetic mods that you might do yourself
* Lower compression on the 2020s
* Burbles (if that's your thing...) on the 2020
* There are more top mount kits for the 2-port
* Immediate Availability/color option (Downshift Blue ?)

I have no idea why you're comparing 'what you might sell your car for in the future' with 'what should I buy now.'

From a financial standpoint.. who cares? It's a sports car. Buy what you want for now.
lol is there an echo in here?

because who keeps a car and wants to own it WAY over priced cash, monthly, or getting spanked when you sell it? think!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
because who keeps a car and wants to own it WAY over priced cash, monthly, or getting spanked when you sell it? think!
Lots of people. Lots of people buy what they want because they want it. Not because of the price tag. There are a whole lot of people that don't think about cars (or money) the way you do. A lot of folks are going to are their drag race their car into pure death, me included. Personally, I'll likely never sell the Supra. I rarely sell cars. Just keep adding to the garage until they blow the fuck up, then get whatever I can for parts.

Your only thought is "resell," which is fine-- not everyone's is. If I want something, I buy it, I don't really care much what it costs. I don't buy things thinking, "hrm there's equity in this maybe," outside of investments, which a car certainly isn't.

OPs question was, "What are the advantages to buying used." Your response of "No." is objectively incorrect. When the market crashes... which it certainly will, I don't think any of our cars will stop working. We won't be "SOL." We'll still have the thing we wanted. You're only "SOL" if you bought the car with the intentional of making a profit on it-- which is insanity no matter how you slice it.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
Lots of people. Lots of people buy what they want because they want it. Not because of the price tag. There are a whole lot of people that don't think about cars (or money) the way you do. A lot of folks are going to are their drag race their car into pure death, me included. Personally, I'll likely never sell the Supra. I rarely sell cars. Just keep adding to the garage until they blow the fuck up, then get whatever I can for parts.

Your only thought is "resell," which is fine-- not everyone's is. If I want something, I buy it, I don't really care much what it costs. I don't buy things thinking, "hrm there's equity in this maybe," outside of investments, which a car certainly isn't.

OPs question was, "What are the advantages to buying used." Your response of "No." is objectively incorrect. When the market crashes... which it certainly will, I don't think any of our cars will stop working. We won't be "SOL." We'll still have the thing we wanted. You're only "SOL" if you bought the car with the intentional of making a profit on it-- which is insanity no matter how you slice it.
B3EBCB17-21BB-4FD8-A9DD-7E457BA302B0.gif

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
Not sure what it's like where you live, but from what I can see around here all dealerships are marking up new supras 10k over msrp. So a used one might make sense there, because finding one at msrp isn't an easy task (so it seems to me so far).

I do feel bad for people that pay that when this whole car bubble pops and they are left owing a lot more than their car is worth.
zero. when the market crashes you're SOL.
Bubbles form when thereā€™s excessive speculation. This isnā€™t tulips, tech stocks, or real estate.

The current prices are due to a lack of supply. (Most) People arenā€™t buying more car (or cars) then they can afford hoping to flip and profit.

Itā€™s reasonable to assume that supply will increase at some point and the market will gradually move towards a point closer to what it was (maybe not completely as some OEMs have talked about withholding supply for profitability). However, thereā€™s no indication that magically there will be a ton of supply and values will crash overnight like tulips, tech stocks, and real estate.

Want to tune? Buy used (do your due diligence on the car) or add $x,xxx to your new car price and the time to deal with Russia.

Donā€™t be afraid of prior mods, but do your research on what maintenance was completed and what risks what mods can cause. Donā€™t sweat cosmetics if all the maintenance has been done on time or better. Run away from a stage 2 car with a blank carfax (or no service records).

• Love
Reactions: zrk

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
do your due diligence on the car
Come to think of it, it may no longer be a stretch to try to see if there's a social media presence for the car and see if previous owners were ever putting strain on the car, like street racing or drifting.

LinkMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 A91-CF, 21 X5 4.0i
If you want a sound financial decision, buy a house, or invest in an index fund. When it comes to cars, just have a dollar amount you wonā€™t go over, and answer some key questions, can I cover monthly payment? Is the financing sane? Do I want the car? Can my money better be served somewhere else (answer is always yes but can I live with parking funds in a depreciating asset)? Am I buying this to turn around and sell it? Do I love the car?

If youā€™re up to your eyeballs in debt and are on the rent treadmill, then maybe buying a car during one of the most expensive points in history isnā€™t a good idea. But assuming that youā€™re relatively stable in life, why not? Iā€™ve buried enough of my friends who died with their whole life ahead of them to put things off for when Iā€™m 50/60.

If you canā€™t find a dealer that has the car you want, or wonā€™t not charge insane markup, buy it used if it hasnā€™t been flogged to a silly degree. Personally, I donā€™t trust anyone else to do break in correctly so Iā€™d rather pay extra to be the first owner, but YMMV.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
Only advantage would be you can get the car right now. I do believe you will regret buying used right now and holding on to the car over the next couple of years.
Sponsored