Buying a 2020 premium 3.0

karan4756

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
4runner, Supra
Pretty much as the title says, a local Toyota dealership near me has a used 2020 supra with less than 17k miles on it. They're asking for $53k .The car is also a certified pre-owned and comes with a powertrain warranty and what they listed as a " Limited Comprehensive Warranty". As far as I can tell from the pictures the car looks completely stock, no aftermarket wheels or anything. The online posting says no accident or damage reported but I plan on buying my own report online.

I do plan on tuning the car so that's why I was looking at a 2020 model. I'm going to the dealership later this week to go check out the car in person. Is there anything I should look out for? From what I read, 2020 models didn't have full screen Apply Car play. And those that went in for the recall got updated to full screen? So would that recall lock the ECU and prevent me from tuning?

Wanted to get some additional thoughts on this and if there was anything else I should look out for, thanks!
Sponsored

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
decent deal. i'd try to negotiate for 50k or so though. limited comprehensive should be 1 year and powertrain 7 years/100k miles (i think)

if it's certified, most concerns are checked, such as CEL or tune

if it has all dealership updates, it will have full screen carplay.
ask if any anomalies were found during the certification check. carefully inspect paint and body panels to make sure no accidents were covered by the previous owner. i'd check wear and tear on seat side bolsters and leather. make sure the speakers aren't popped, GPS works, cruise control works.. uhh.. i'll edit as i remember

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
If itā€™s certified pre owned all recalls should be done to include the updates. This should also confirm the previous owner didnā€™t modify the car. As far as tuning, donā€™t assume the ECU is pre-June 2020 just because the itā€™s a 2020 model year. Not sure how you can confirm the ECU date though.
whatever questions you ask and are answered, make sure itā€™s in writing! Best of luck.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Will get hate for this but... don't, 53k for a 2020 with 17k miles is an awful deal, market is crashing on supra's, you can get brand new MT's for MSRP, I paid 47k for my 2020 brand new in 2020, obviously different time and market but that is something that will loose 10k the next day you try and sell it. MMR on that is 39k, retail is 44 if its 4.7. it is much better to buy a 21+ with the much better 6 port engine, and much better suspension and chassis tuning and spend 1200 with Femto for an unlock. much better deals out there, this is getting bent over.

OP
OP

karan4756

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
4runner, Supra
decent deal. i'd try to negotiate for 50k or so though. limited comprehensive should be 1 year and powertrain 7 years/100k miles (i think)

if it's certified, most concerns are checked, such as CEL or tune

if it has all dealership updates, it will have full screen carplay.
ask if any anomalies were found during the certification check. carefully inspect paint and body panels to make sure no accidents were covered by the previous owner. i'd check wear and tear on seat side bolsters and leather. make sure the speakers aren't popped, GPS works, cruise control works.. uhh.. i'll edit as i remember
Posting says 1 year limited comprehensive and 7 year powertrain.

Gonna look at the paint like a hawk. Planning on taking someone with me so they'll be looking out too.

$50k was my goal, try to get a close to that as I can.

OP
OP

karan4756

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
4runner, Supra
If itā€™s certified pre owned all recalls should be done to include the updates. This should also confirm the previous owner didnā€™t modify the car. As far as tuning, donā€™t assume the ECU is pre-June 2020 just because the itā€™s a 2020 model year. Not sure how you can confirm the ECU date though.
whatever questions you ask and are answered, make sure itā€™s in writing! Best of luck.
Def getting everything in writing. It's pretty easy to get the ECU date. Here's a video

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Will get hate for this but... don't, 53k for a 2020 with 17k miles is an awful deal, market is crashing on supra's, you can get brand new MT's for MSRP, I paid 47k for my 2020 brand new in 2020, obviously different time and market but that is something that will loose 10k the next day you try and sell it. MMR on that is 39k, retail is 44 if its 4.7. it is much better to buy a 21+ with the much better 6 port engine, and much better suspension and chassis tuning and spend 1200 with Femto for an unlock. much better deals out there, this is getting bent over.
Agree. That will soon be a 4 model year old car and they are asking about $2500 more than I paid for my '21 brand new.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Agree. That will soon be a 4 model year old car and they are asking about $2500 more than I paid for my '21 brand new.
ya like I don't want to be THAT guy, but they better be supplying the lube with that deal. the as someone who has put 30k+ combined miles on the platform, the 2021+ is a far superior car, like going from an M240 to an m2

SupraEffective

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 2022
Don't fall in love with the first Supra you see. I legit went to 7 dealerships till I found a good deal.

Check the car thoroughly as if you're inspecting a lemon, that means rust, leaks, and wear and tear.

My red flag is "If the engine bay looks cleaner than the inside of the car run" That means they are trying to hide something in the Engine by wowing you with how clean it looks. Other than that everyone here has some good points and hopefully you find what you are looking for.

OP
OP

karan4756

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
4runner, Supra
No hate from me, I appreciate the input! Been watching this car since it was posted and decided to go check it out.

With the Femto unlock can I unlock any year? I have seen mixed responses on this site regarding that.

OP
OP

karan4756

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
4runner, Supra
Don't fall in love with the first Supra you see. I legit went to 7 dealerships till I found a good deal.

Check the car thoroughly as if you're inspecting a lemon, that means rust, leaks, and wear and tear.

My red flag is "If the engine bay looks cleaner than the inside of the car run" That means they are trying to hide something in the Engine by wowing you with how clean it looks. Other than that everyone here has some good points and hopefully you find what you are looking for.
For sure, I've been waiting 2 years for a new car due to the market. Don't mind waiting longer.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
AFAIK, all 2020 Supras have tuneable ECUs. Even some early year 2021's did.

The recall will "lite" lock the ECU on a 2020, meaning you can get it unlocked in the states for much much much much much much cheaper than Femto.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
No hate from me, I appreciate the input! Been watching this car since it was posted and decided to go check it out.

With the Femto unlock can I unlock any year? I have seen mixed responses on this site regarding that.
yes, the only exception is running ecutek on 23 manual cars, but besides that the process is identical, but ya I would really advise staying away from that car, and 2020's as a whole, especially if you are in the 50's budget wise. Within a few months you'll get brand new 23's or 24's around 57k.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
but ya I would really advise staying away from that car, and 2020's as a whole, especially if you are in the 50's budget wise.
I'm sooo happy to not be the only vocal one about this sentiment. I've literally raised my voice a few times and bluntly said "fuck the 2020s" to locals that asked my buying advice. I wouldn't pay a dime over $40k for a 2020, even if it was flawless with under 1,000 miles on the clock. Like you I paid less than $50k for my new 2021 3.0P in Nitro (stickered at $58k), in SPRING (highest pricing of year in rust belt) of 2021. The 21+ is such a better car it's not even close., and people are batshit nuts for shelling out this kind of coin for a four year-old inferior car.