Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
If they're smart, they'll just take Getrag's 7spd DCT off the shelf.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Does Toyota have it's own dual clutch that could be used?
Unfortunately not. But over the summer there was this report that a dual clutch transmission was possibly under development by TMG (Toyota Motorsport GmbH). http://www.motoring.com.au/news/prestige-and-luxury/lexus/no-tmg-performance-cars-44241

A Lexus rep when talking about the next gen IS-F revealed development of a "manual-shift gearbox" which is presumably a dual clutch. He also mentioned development of hybrid technology for the next generation IS F using a manual-shift gearbox.

__WRC__

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
325i
Definitely not ok with the cars sharing styling. WOuld hate for them to be rebadged cosmetic versions of each other like FR-S/BRZ, Eclipse/Talon, 3000GT/Stealth.

Wally World

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
Unfortunately not. But over the summer there was this report that a dual clutch transmission was possibly under development by TMG (Toyota Motorsport GmbH). http://www.motoring.com.au/news/prestige-and-luxury/lexus/no-tmg-performance-cars-44241

A Lexus rep when talking about the next gen IS-F revealed development of a "manual-shift gearbox" which is presumably a dual clutch. He also mentioned development of hybrid technology for the next generation IS F using a manual-shift gearbox.
The LC coupe will show us what tranny we might get in the Supra since it's coming sooner.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I'm ok if they both end up using the same carbon fiber chassis and suspensions. But it would be nice if Toyota used their own drive train for their version.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Definitely not ok with the cars sharing styling. WOuld hate for them to be rebadged cosmetic versions of each other like FR-S/BRZ, Eclipse/Talon, 3000GT/Stealth.
I don't think that will be happening.

A spokesperson for BMW has revealed to Automotive News (subscription required) that at least two sports cars
icon1.png
will be developed, one for BMW and one for Toyota, and they will feature their own, unique styling as opposed to simply changing badges and bumpers like Toyota did with the GT 86, Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ clones.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1077439_new-details-on-bmw-toyota-jointly-developed-sports-car

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
I'm ok if they both end up using the same carbon fiber chassis and suspensions. But it would be nice if Toyota used their own drive train for their version.
I wouldn't mind if transmission was added to that list. Toyota has no dual clutch in his lineup right now and that's what the FT-1 / Supra needs, not an auto! Even if Toyota chose the Supra as its first car with a DCT I dunno if I want to be a first generation/model adopter. Its might have teething problems.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I wouldn't mind if transmission was added to that list. Toyota has no dual clutch in his lineup right now and that's what the FT-1 / Supra needs, not an auto! Even if Toyota chose the Supra as its first car with a DCT I dunno if I want to be a first generation/model adopter. Its might have teething problems.
If they pull a getrag unit off the shelf there should be no issues. :)

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I wouldn't mind them leasing transmissions from Getrag for both a DCT and Manual. The last Supra TT had a Getrag V160 6 speed manual.

Which I believe the DCT BMW uses is from Getrag as well.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i have a feeling they will go with BMW's I6. but i hope they use a turbo V6 and or the RCF's V8 instead.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
i have a feeling they will go with BMW's I6. but i hope they use a turbo V6 and or the RCF's V8 instead.
No no no no. BMW's 6 cyl might be a great engine but we're talking about the very heart, essence, identity of a car when we're talking about the engine.

The Supra's going to be Toyota's top of the line performance car, what a shame it would be if it didn't even have a Toyota engine. I can see the nonstop jokes now :rolleyes1:

Give the RC F V8 to Toyota's top engineers and let them give us a 500hp+ monster of a TOYOTA engine for this car please.

If it gets a BMW engine I gotta admit I'd be less enthusiastic about buying the car.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Yeah I can't see why they would choose a BMW powerplant, unless they a) wanted the car to cost a lot more or b) didn't want the car to be properly quick. The complete BMW formula works well for daily driver luxury BMW M cars but not for a spartan Toyota halo sportscar named "Supra." Sure, if Toyota wanted to name it the "Infra" then I'm sure 425 horsepower would be plenty for their goals of supreme mediocrity.

I also think the RCF V8 will be too heavy, expensive and frankly not powerful enough to make it into the MkV. Supra needs a smaller, lighter v6 setup with tons of turbocharged torques and a bit more top-end horsepower. Lexus is going after an older guy with more expensive tastes with a luxury thoroughbred sexy naturally aspirated 5 liter V8, while Toyota is simply setting out to make a proper sportscar.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I think another reason why Toyota would pick BMW's I6 is to retain the Supra's I6 tradition.

323 Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ducati
Yeah I can't see why they would choose a BMW powerplant, unless they a) wanted the car to cost a lot more or b) didn't want the car to be properly quick. The complete BMW formula works well for daily driver luxury BMW M cars but not for a spartan Toyota halo sportscar named "Supra." Sure, if Toyota wanted to name it the "Infra" then I'm sure 425 horsepower would be plenty for their goals of supreme mediocrity.

I also think the RCF V8 will be too heavy, expensive and frankly not powerful enough to make it into the MkV. Supra needs a smaller, lighter v6 setup with tons of turbocharged torques and a bit more top-end horsepower. Lexus is going after an older guy with more expensive tastes with a luxury thoroughbred sexy naturally aspirated 5 liter V8, while Toyota is simply setting out to make a proper sportscar.
I think another reason why Toyota would pick BMW's I6 is to retain the Supra's I6 tradition.
My guess is that it gets a turbo 6 cyl. 6 cyl for smaller/lighter packaging and to retain the 6 cyl tradition, and turbo for some proper power. Best of both worlds?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.