What is your Monthly Payments?

ikingkhaos

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Hmmm I’m 32 and I pay around 1500/year full coverage and a clean record as well. What part of the country are you in?
I’m 33 paying $432 a year. Full coverage through State Farm. I do have my house and other vehicles bundles so that helps.
Sponsored

Jakester

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I'm trying to be like you guys having $400/yr insurance premiums. Clean driving record, 32 years old and I'm paying $1400/yr. Granted, I live in FL where insurance rates are generally high but still!
One way to save tremendously is bundling homeowners insurance as well. I would think a lot of these lower premiums might be reflecting that as well. Curious to know. My car insurance rates dropped almost in half when I bundled. Also with the insane amount of rock trucks out there I went with Farmers cause they offered windshield replacement coverage which a lot of other dont.

HoosierRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'm a 32 year old travel nurse from Indiana. I decided to finance my car (3.1% through navy federal) because I wasn't sure if I would keep the car long term. I don't like having car loans, but I also didn't want to give up 40k+ out of savings when I can use that money to invest or bail myself out of a shitty situation if for some reason I were to become disabled etc. I can always sell the car for a good bit more than I've got it financed for. My payment is right at $600 a month after putting 10k down.

I bundle my car insurance with my homeowners policy and other cars through USAA. I'm in school for my masters, so I get the student discount as well. The supra costs me right at $400/year to insure.

bittermelon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru Outback
I'm a 32 year old travel nurse from Indiana. I decided to finance my car (3.1% through navy federal) because I wasn't sure if I would keep the car long term. I don't like having car loans, but I also didn't want to give up 40k+ out of savings when I can use that money to invest or bail myself out of a shitty situation if for some reason I were to become disabled etc. I can always sell the car for a good bit more than I've got it financed for. My payment is right at $600 a month after putting 10k down.

I bundle my car insurance with my homeowners policy and other cars through USAA. I'm in school for my masters, so I get the student discount as well. The supra costs me right at $400/year to insure.
How much was your car?

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0

You must have a longer than 3 year car loan on it. Amortization at 50k 3.1% 3 year is 1100. I know because that’s the exact payment I make

HoosierRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
You must have a longer than 3 year car loan on it. Amortization at 50k 3.1% 3 year is 1100. I know because that’s the exact payment I make
Yes, I took the longer loan term offered because the rate didn't change from 36 months to 72. I can make larger payments directly to my principle that way. It made sense in my head when I did it lol.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Yes, I took the longer loan term offered because the rate didn't change from 36 months to 72. I can make larger payments directly to my principle that way. It made sense in my head when I did it lol.
I’m no banker, but that doesn’t make much sense to me. The total interest paid is key. A lender will usually tempt people to take in a shorter loan by dropping the rate. That gets the risk off of the bank sooner while also lowering their profit. Special risk assessment calculations take place on car and house loans, the banks still get paid if there needs to be a repo / foreclosure. But this is my calculation breakdown:

Car cost: 58,000
Down Payment: 10,000
Loan amount: 48,000

[email protected] 72month =732.45 (month) 4664.1(interest). 52,664.10 (total)
VS
[email protected] 36month = 1,398.01 (month) 2328.52(interest). 50,328.52 (total)

So exactly double the actual interest paid amount. I wish banks broke it down like this. If you’re able then refi, I just hate to see someone that did something specifically to save money when it doesn’t.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m no banker, but that doesn’t make much sense to me. The total interest paid is key. A lender will usually tempt people to take in a shorter loan by dropping the rate. That gets the risk off of the bank sooner while also lowering their profit. Special risk assessment calculations take place on car and house loans, the banks still get paid if there needs to be a repo / foreclosure. But this is my calculation breakdown:

VS
[email protected] 36month = 1,398.01 (month) 2328.52(interest). 50,328.52 (total)

So exactly double the actual interest paid amount. I wish banks broke it down like this. If you’re able then refi, I just hate to see someone that did something specifically to save money when it doesn’t.
This is a great breakdown! However I will say that in the end it looks like the interest difference is around 2k. I can’t speak on behalf of Hoosier but we’re both nurses and I did something similar because of the time value of money (time being the present, other parts of my life I want to spend my money on before I take on certain jobs or contracts later which will allow me to pay off the car quickly). There are a few personal elements of my life I wanted to arrange my financing around. In the end I’ll only have my loan for another 1-2 years while I financed for 72 months. It also made sense for my life even though the overall interest paid is more, because I want the cash flow for other things right now. When I decide to pay the sum of the loan early I will ideally avoid paying some interest.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
This is a great breakdown! However I will say that in the end it looks like the interest difference is around 2k. I can’t speak on behalf of Hoosier but we’re both nurses and I did something similar because of the time value of money (time being the present, other parts of my life I want to spend my money on before I take on certain jobs or contracts later which will allow me to pay off the car quickly). There are a few personal elements of my life I wanted to arrange my financing around. In the end I’ll only have my loan for another 1-2 years while I financed for 72 months. It also made sense for my life even though the overall interest paid is more, because I want the cash flow for other things right now. When I decide to pay the sum of the loan early I will ideally avoid paying some interest.
Yes no doubt. That is a good reason. I wish banks gave breakdowns like these, they put all the focus on rates alone. I’m probably going to run mine all the way out, I was trying to collect some liquid cash to use as a down payment for another multiunit but I somehow talked myself into buying 20k worth of car parts instead ?

HoosierRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium

VS

I also traded in a vehicle with about 7k worth of equity. Not that I feel the need to breakdown my exact finances, but isn't that interest amount assuming I pay interest for the full 72 months? I'm making much larger than the minimum payments. I don't really feel the need to refinance since it's going to be paid off in a year or two. One of the benefits of travel nursing is sometimes I make 20k+ a month if I want to work 4 days a week. But maybe I should look at an amortization schedule to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot lol.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I also traded in a vehicle with about 7k worth of equity. Not that I feel the need to breakdown my exact finances, but isn't that interest amount assuming I pay interest for the full 72 months? I'm making much larger than the minimum payments. I don't really feel the need to refinance since it's going to be paid off in a year or two. One of the benefits of travel nursing is sometimes I make 20k+ a month if I want to work 4 days a week. But maybe I should look at an amortization schedule to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot lol.
Lol I will have to shoot you a pm later. Good luck on your next assignment my man

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
The amount of your monthly payment that goes to interest is (APR/12 months * current balance). The rest of the payment goes to lowering principal. Your bank should give the amount of interest charged per month. I financed 35000 with a 60 month loan at 3.8%. I pay 1000 per month plus some bonus money this year will go to the car loan so it should be paid off in well under 3 years.

There are amortization calculators online if you want it paid off by a certain date or not pay over x dollars in interest or whatever they can figure it out for you.

Where this starts to get funny is if you have a low interest loan like a mortgage or 0% deal (basically, less than inflation). Some financial experts can give you advice on better places to put the money if you don't mind keeping the loan open longer. I like to get things paid off as soon as possible.

Regardless if you pay more early on it does make a difference vs paying more later. Less principal means less interest charged.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Any decent auto loan is ~2%. take it, make the absolute min payments. Invest the rest.

This is why I never buy cars outright. "paying off your car" tends to be a financial mistake. Always loan against assets. Never use your own money, etc. etc.
Sponsored