What other vehicle were you thinking of buying, if you did not buy the Supra?

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hopefully Supra soon
I'm looking to buy a mkV Supra right now as a daily. It'd be my only car, so I want something fun to drive but automatic and reliable. During my research the serious contenders were:

List, in order of wanting to buy 'em:
1. Supra
Supra's a fun little car. I love how you can control the amount the rear slips out really easily, and the ZF is the most impressive torque converter automatic I've ever driven. Tuning results look great as well, which is nice to see, since I would like to keep the car for a long time. The biggest downside for me is the lack of Android Auto, but I'm sure over the life of the car we'll find a way to hack it in.

2. Audi RS5 (2013-2016 with that glorious V8)
RS5 was a blast to rev up, but the handling isn't as confident as I'd like, and it's an older car without a lot of modern features and poor reliability. If I were purely judging my decision off of exhaust note I'd buy this car in a heartbeat, but unfortunately I do need to commute to work and take turns so it is what it is.

3. C8 2LT Z51 (too expensive, even now)
If the Corvette were just a bit more expensive than the Supra, I'd probably scoop one up. Unfortunately the prices are absurd, especially for the spec I'd want (2LT - blind spot monitoring, rearview camera mirror, etc; Z51 - performance parts). Any that I saw currently available were upwards of 90k USD, which is extremely out of my price range. Maybe I'll get one once depreciation hits that car like a bag of bricks.

4. M2 Competition
I felt the M2 Competition was the closest match to the Supra in terms of feel (which makes sense, they share a lot of parts lmao), but it's more expensive and I found the DCT to be jittery when compared to the ZF in the Supra. It didn't feel any faster than the Supra, which was very disappointing given the official number is 400hp to the Supra's 335hp (which, yea that's definitely a lie).

5. C7 Z06/Z51/Grand Sport
C7 is basically a V8 on a frame, surrounded by fiberglass. I love the directness and rawness of these cars, but the 8-speed auto is trash (like, the worst auto on any performance car) and the manual would be a chore on long trips and commutes. Also, as a daily it would be horrible due to the lack of blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, and horrid rear visibility. Z06 has an absurd amount of power, but you can't really use it on most roads, unless you want to get arrested or crash. I'd have gone with the Z51 or Grand Sport myself, but they all suffer from the issues I mentioned earlier, so I won't be buying one to daily.

6. Gen 6 Camaro SS
Beautiful handling, and great low end torque from the engine. The problem comes with transmission for me. The 8 speed auto is garbage, shifts super slow and never knows what gear you want to be in. The manual feels great, but again I'm looking for a daily, and don't want to daily a manual. The facelifted cars come with a nice 10-speed auto, but really they're some of the worst-looking cars I've ever seen. I was a bit conscious even getting out of the one I rented when going to nice places, so I definitely won't be buying one.

7. 981 Cayman S
Revs high, amazing handling, but underpowered. Also horrible maintenance costs. I wouldn't really want to be paying out the nose for an old car like this that I'm not in love with. I wish it would just step out a bit more or just give me a bit more torque to play with, but I get it, it's a car for fans of absolutely neutral handling and balanced power.

Nope: 718 Cayman
Sounds like shit, disqualified. Drove this one for a bit, and while it felt really nice on turn in, even stiffer and more neutral than the 981, it sounds so... Subaru. Can't get over it, and it's not acceptable in a sports car, so too bad 718 you're off the list.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mlevere1988

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra
Was seriously looking at a new Cayman S. I had an 07 that I really enjoyed. When the rumors of the Supra came true, I changed my mind instantly. I was an owner of a 3rd Gen Supra (gave it to my son-in-law) and always loved the Supra. While I liked my 07 Cayman S, I'm enjoying my new Supra. No regrets.
I had an 06 Cayman S for 6 years and this is a great replacement for it. Much more power and cheaper to mod.

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
GT350: motor reliability still scares me despite MY 19/20 revisions. Useable power on the street questionably less fun (and legal) with long gears better fit for the track? Practical with back seat and trunk but makes for a big car. Good visibility. Amazing Voodoo soundtrack. Questionable fit and finish on some examples.

ZL1: Best performer. Fast in a straight line and around a track. And easy to add even more performance to the LT4. Not the best visibility. Big car like the GT350. Prefer the look of the GT350 slightly more both in the outside & inside. Back seats and (tiny) trunk.

M2C: like the back seat practically but not sold on looks and how it sort of blends in with the rest of the brand’s lineup. 6 speed option a plus I’d likely take.

C7 GS or Z06: Already did the Corvette thing with the C6 Z06...pricing on well-equipped models seems to really have shot up lately. Sudden low used supply to blame?

Supra: Seems like just the right size overall but a little lacking in hatch storage. Can be made fast yet tossable? Not the greatest visibility. Looks better in flesh but does have some weird angles. Long term reliability yet to be proven but drivetrain seems stout given the power people are putting through them. No manual but willing to give the ZF a chance given performance and daily usability.

I have yet to make a decision. Discounted 2020 models are very tempting. But I may wait to see what the later Supra model years bring...

EDIT: Bought a discounted MY20 Supra.

Last edited:

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
C7-C8, GT 350, TT RS, Camaro ZL1.

Too much Corvettes C7 on the road and almost impossible to get a C8, and forget MSRP, markups are crazy.

GT350: harsh ride, roads are less than stellar where I live. You really have to rev the engine like it’s an Honda S2000, not much going on under 5K rpm. Rowing gears felt great though! Looks almost like any other mustang.

ZL1: I liked it a lot, but man that interior is rubbish, looks like they used recycled Chevy Cavalier plastics. Only color available was black, and I hate black cars, so hard to keep em clean. Also there is a lot of Camaro on the road.

Audi TT RS: Engine sounds incredibly good, like a Lambo. But it’s the only thing that’s exciting about this car. No drama, no slide, car felt numb, Quattro makes the car understeers so much. But that 5 cylinders sound I tell you!!

Supra is just plain fun, super comfy, plenty fast in stock form and responds very well to modding, engine sound is great. Got it in Nitro yellow and IMO looks so much better than other cars on my list. I also like some exclusivity and never saw another Supra on the road in my area. I couldn’t care less about all the BMW things... In fact I kinda like the controversy with the car and I think Toyota were clever partnering with BMW, one of the best motorist in the industry.

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16' Wrangler Rubicon, 13' 4Runner Trail, 13' R56S
You’re lucky to have had so many great cars! That’s a nice list! Love the F-Type, AMG & of course any Porsche!
I've not owned those cars unfortunately.. I wish! They are the other cars that I am interested in, most used. I will be borrowing on this vehicle. That's one area that the Supra has a benefit to me, is that its new. I've never bought a new car before. I do consider depreciation when buying stuff and that is what has kept me away from buying new for this many years.

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also a used Porsche 718, but afraid of the maintenance costs.
7. 981 Cayman S
Also horrible maintenance costs. I wouldn't really want to be paying out the nose for an old car like this that I'm not in love with. I wish it would just step out a bit more or just give me a bit more torque to play with, but I get it, it's a car for fans of absolutely neutral handling and balanced power.

Nope: 718 Cayman
Sounds like shit, disqualified. Drove this one for a bit, and while it felt really nice on turn in, even stiffer and more neutral than the 981, it sounds so... Subaru. Can't get over it, and it's not acceptable in a sports car, so too bad 718 you're off the list.
Been looking at the Cayman's a ton. Maintenance cost are definitely a consideration. A buddy owns a 981 and oil changes alone are $400. Annual maintenance cost around $1000. Seems like a lot...

I understand the dislike of the 718 sound but from a performance standpoint, I personally cant write it off. That torque curve is great. So much more usable power. If I was buying a track car or something like that I'm not sure if it would matter as much but for just driving around, torque is king. I also see the power benefits at altitude of a turbo charged motor. I live at over 6000' in elevation and will be driving mountain passes 10-12k feet. I know that doesn't apply to everyone and isn't a factor most the time but something I personally consider.

Dowski12

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra GR 3.0 Premium
#1 Used Mercedes C63 AMG S. Brother in law works for Mercedes, so the family discount was attractive.

#2 BMW M4. Always loved M cars

#3 Used GTR. Was my dream car till the Supra

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Hi all I'll post my thoughts after 2-3 weeks ownership and only about 100km of driving .

My first test drive went first with Mercedes a45s.

Test drove it and felt another hot hatch boy racer. If you think the focus rs was boy racer, then you have not seen anything until a45s.

Felt the rdu was similar if not identical to focus rs and drift mode was the spitting image of the focus but on steroids with 415HP from 2L engine. I also felt when test driving would this engine last and this had me concerned.

The drive was eerily similar in so many ways to focus rs. Even the Fwd bias was there until you either engaged drift mode but it felt loose with a lot more oversteer and then it would bites with the nannies again activating to control the slide.

From all perspectives, it was the logical evolution upgrade from focus to Mercedes or so I thought until I looked at the dash.

Everything digital and more digital and so much digital with many drive modes. It was as if AI was in control and it did not feel natural or driver use friendly. Even the steering was anaemic no raw feeling with road surface and probably due to transverse engine mounting like focus rs.

Not that this was new . Heck even the focus had this nanny shit activating when it wanted even with esc off.

And then I test drove the supra. I've had my eye on it and yes at first I was reluctant but it has grown on me considerably.

At first it was very very different compared to the hatch and high seat position in focus RS.

Extraordinarily different. And then the low and I mean low centre of gravity and short wheel basis and highly communicable chassis..... i was sold instantly.

Looking back I have not one iota of regret with supra. Weekend car absolutely and yes you could even use it daily it's that smooth.

It feels almost like a GT cruiser but on cornering the sensation of throttle control natural power oversteer not artificial like focus RS and Mercedes A45s is exactly what the doctor ordered. I've had awd for nearly 20+ years and even though it's safe in the wet it's mechanical interference reluctantly takes away crucially the driving experience. It's more artificial than natural and to be honest back in the supra the steering is so light and tactile you feel it all. So it's early days but ...

Yes supra is special... very special to me.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
I'm still in the market and thinking of these cars not in any specific order:

'20+ Civic Type R
'14+ GTR
'21+ Supra
'21+ TLX-S

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What are you finding 14+ GTR's in as for price? I found a 2013 locally with 44k in the high $60k's. I've always loved the gtr and is definitely a dream car. I do worry about a car like that and not having any sort of warranty. It's not like people buy them to drive easy. One huge perk of a car like that is the minimal depreciation. Probably could drive it for a few years and only loose a couple g's.